1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Love or Mercy

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by God's_Servant, Jun 17, 2010.

1. God's_Servant

God's_Servant New Member

Psalm 106:1
    KJV- Praise ye the LORD. O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.
    NKJV- Praise the LORD! Oh, give thanks to the LORD, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever.
    ESV- Praise the LORD! Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever!
    ASV Praise ye Jehovah. Oh give thanks unto Jehovah; for he is good; For his lovingkindness endureth forever.
    NIV- Praise the LORD. Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.
    NASB- Praise the LORD! Oh give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; For His lovingkindness is everlasting.

I came across this in my devotions a while ago. Why is it translated "mercy" in the two KJVs, but in the newer translations it is translated as some variation of "love"?

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

3. God's_Servant

God's_Servant New Member

Thanks annsni!

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You're welcome! Blue Letter Bible might be a pretty basic tool but I find it pretty useful to find other occurences of the same Greek or Hebrew word and to see how the KJV translators translated it. It certainly helped in this case!