1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

love the sinner, hate the sin?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by mhoward1999, Jan 19, 2005.

1. mhoward1999

mhoward1999 Member

I have always been taught under this idea of loving the sinner regardless of their sins.Within a week's time I heard a sermon and also had a friend comment that the Bible states that God in fact, HATES sinners and doesn't hear their prayers unless they repent. I feel very confused by this. We are commanded to love our neighbors, not just our brothers and sisters in the Lord. What do ya'll think?

2. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I never give up on anyone! Sinners need us more than anyone. It is their responsibilty to repent but sometimes they need to be guided to that point by a good Christian friend. Don't kick a man while he's down, put out your hand and pick him up.

3. mhoward1999

mhoward1999 Member

I agree. But specifically what does the Bible say?

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I think this is the 143rd time we've had a thread on this topic.... but I might be exaggerating somewhat :eek:

Since scripture is clear that God loved the world (not parts of hte world) that he gave us Jesus, I would venture to say your friend is taking scripture out of context.

There are some scripture that uses the word "hate" in regards to the sinner, but to assume that this means God doesn't love them is the result of inferring an English implication upon a Hebrew context.

The Hebrew word for "hate" does not mean "to withhold love". It referrs, rather, to intense loathing and dislike. In other words, God will love the sinner, but God doesn't like the sinner. Anone who's had rebellious teenagers can relate to that ;) .

The problem is that in English, when we use the word "hate", we imply that there is a withholding of love. That is often not the case in English, and it is definitely not the case in OT Hebrew.

5. mhoward1999

mhoward1999 Member

JohnV: Sorry. I am new here. This is my third day. I apologize for bothering everyone with a topic that has already been covered. I will do a search.

6. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I enojoy this topic. I'm sure lots get reposted with so many new people. If someone doesn't want to read it again, then they don't have to read it.

7. Mommyperson

Mommyperson New Member

Anyone who's had rebellious teenagers can relate to that .

I can relate...in spades.
    God certainly drives home the point of love the sinner, but hate the sin with that example.
    [​IMG]

8. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

If we are to 'hate' sinners, we would have to hate ourselves because we all sin daily.

The Bible tells us to "love our neighbors as ourselves". It doesn't say to love our neighbors UNLESS they are sinners...