1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Love your Enemies?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by PastorSBC1303, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Victory in Jesus

Victory in Jesus New Member

Oh, and we don't even have to bribe the teacher with an apple. In fact, the apple's what got us in the mess to begin with. [​IMG]

2. Rachel

Rachel New Member

But was it an apple? [​IMG]

3. LovesJesus

LovesJesus New Member

I agree with bookworm. Enemies are humans in the context of the verse. Satan doesn't qualify.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I agree! [​IMG]

Personally, I think it was a fig! ;) I just wrote a paper for OT2 on tree imagery in the OT and in Paganism (which I hope to have on my site, slightly modified, in the near future) and decided they ate a fig. I know we don't know for sure, but figs make the most sense. :cool:

5. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Cool, I'll look for that on your site. Yeah that does make the most sense to me too, that it was a fig and I've heard others say the same. I also heard people always say apple because the red of the apple signifies the blood of Jesus? Not sure but that's neat too. [​IMG]

Rachel †
    [​IMG]

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Hi, Rachel,

I'm not sure that there were or are apples in that part of the world, though. [​IMG]

I think apples came to be a part of the story of the Fall due to some myths and legends about the apple that gave it sexual overtones (this was not the right way to see the Fall, but people did).

This person says making the fruit an apple comes from Greek and Roman mythology:
    Not saying they're right, but it's interesting.

There are probably other reasons as well that the apple came to be thought of as the forbidden fruit.

7. Victory in Jesus

I dunno. Maybe it was marajuana. :D

8. Victory in Jesus

QUOTE Originally posted by Marcia
    No way, Marcia. If it WAS a fig, men would be walking around with an Adam's Fig in their throats. Doesn't have a ring to it. :D

If that was me in the garden, it would have been a cantelope. But, I can't see Eve pulling a cantelope off a tree and taking a big bite out of it.

Perhaps that's why we believe it was an apple. They are so accessible that you could just pull one off and eat it without preparing it first. They're so shiny they sparkle in the sun...so bright and colorful...so juicy.

Or a PEACH! No one can resist a peach!

9. Victory in Jesus

Seriously, I've heard it was a fig also, but I never heard why. I would think the fig would be the last thing you'd want to pull off a tree and eat. They're ugly (or am I thinking of the kiwi?).

But, it wouldn't've mattered what God told them to resist, we always want what we can't have. That's why 18-month-olds are always sticking their tongues in outlets and light sockets. "Don't DO that, Leonard!"

10. BillyMac

BillyMac New Member

If you just ate a forbidden fruit and suddenly knew you were naked would you run to a fig tree from an apple tree and cover your nakedness with fig leaves??? NOPE!!! You'd cover up with whatever was immediately available. Fig leaves.

I agree with Marcia.

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

BillyMac, I was going to post the same thing you did! [​IMG] The fact they used fig leaves to cover their nakedness is, imo, a big indication that the fruit was a fig.

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It wasn't the Southern Watermellon. We know this because she repented.

13. Victory in Jesus

I would if the apple leaves weren't big enough to cover me. [​IMG]

I'm not disputing the fig was or was not the fruit. I haven't put any time or effort into researching this like others have. So, don't take my posts on this issue seriously.

I was just having a little fun. [​IMG]

14. Victory in Jesus

I was trying to image-google fig leaves to see how big they actually were and I came across this comic.

15. TisHerself

TisHerself Guest

Haha! A mystery wrapped in an enigma. I think there are things that God has predetermined, but we would be foolish to say we know what they are. No one truly knows all about God. Perhaps it is God's will and predetermined decision that some of 'our enemies' would come to him in heaven. All the more reason to show God our faith by following his word and praying for our enemies, especially Osama Bin Laden. We should pray for our president too. Not in specific terms, but that God might show him the light and the way and what should be done. I think it's foolish to assume our president knows everything too. This world is a scary place. We all need to pray for peace and light.