1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Love your neighbour as yourself and 1Pt4:8

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Who is a Christian's neighbour? Should the Christian love muslims etc? even Protestants, Roman Catholics?
    What does 1Pt4:8 teach in this regard? Does it teach any different than Jesus' use of the Commandment?

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

To me my neighbor is every other person. I don't get to pick them out, these are my favorites they are my neighbor, and these, not so much, so they aren't my neighbor, so I don't have to love them. Who or what they are has nothing to do with love, if it does we are not loving with a God like love, and whose to say we always deserve love from others.

3. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

A similar question has been asked before by someone who was hoping that there were exceptions; he asked this question of Jesus.
    Luk 10:29 But wishing to justify himself, he said to Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?"
    Luk 10:30 Jesus replied and said, "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among robbers, and they stripped him and beat him, and went away leaving him half dead.
    Luk 10:31 "And by chance a priest was going down on that road, and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
    Luk 10:32 "Likewise a Levite also, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side.
    Luk 10:33 "But a Samaritan, who was on a journey, came upon him; and when he saw him, he felt compassion,
    Luk 10:34 and came to him and bandaged up his wounds, pouring oil and wine on them; and he put him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn and took care of him.
    Luk 10:35 "On the next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper and said, 'Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, when I return I will repay you.'
    Luk 10:36 "Which of these three do you think proved to be a neighbor to the man who fell into the robbers' hands?"
    Luk 10:37 And he said, "The one who showed mercy toward him." Then Jesus said to him, "Go and do the same." (ESV).​
    The person to whom Jesus was speaking would have had nothing but contempt for the Samaritan. Samaritans were descended from Jewish and Gentile Assyrian descent, and the fact that these were descendants of Jews who `allowed' their bloodline to be `defiled' with Gentile blood made `full' Jews despise them.

Jesus' point was that our "neighbor" is whomever.

#3 Darron Steele, Jul 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2007
  4. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

1Pt4:8 is a specific admonition to Christians, is it not? A specific instruction for a specific situation that doesn't conflict with a more general instruction elsewhere in the Bible does not negate either, does it?

The "good Samaritan" story of Luke 10 that Darron Steele posted is the most significantly memorable story I learned (obviously other than Jesus' life-death-resurrection!!) in Sunday School as a child. I still remember the SS teacher talking about what it meant for my life and how Jesus said I should live it. I have always believed that all people are "my neighbors" and tried to look at them through Christ's eyes....which is very, very hard to do at times.....because they seldom "deserve" my kindness, and very often look and act in a way that is QUITE unlike what the Bible teaches is right. But I don't think that "lets me off the hook" for treating them "as my neighbor." :jesus:

5. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

Of course I am to love everyone. The other side of that coin is that if a Muslim criticises my faith, I will tell h/her that I love them and will pray for them. They, conversely, will tell me that they are obligated to kill me, according to some readings of the Koran. Am I still to love that person? Of course! If we are in a dark alley, should I have one hand on the gun under my coat? By all means! Should I ever carry a gun? Of course!

NOW .. start firing your salvos.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

............... but first, read on:

Bryan Daly and Gregory M. Davis interviewed renowned Islamic experts like Robert Spencer and Walid Shoebat to produce Islam: What the West Needs to Know. Daly says while there are no doubt many non-violent or peaceful Muslims, there is no peaceful Islam. "Islam is primarily not a religion but a political ideology," he explains; "and this political ideology is not peaceful but explicitly expansionary. Allah demands that the world comes under his law and [that] Muslims must fight to institute that law over the world."

Muslims who do not engage in "jihad" -- or expansion of Islam -- do so in spite of that mandate, says Daly. "They are not following Islam," he claims. "So in a sense, the people we've called 'extremists' or 'radicals' are merely orthodox Muslims doing what they are obligated to do according to the canonical texts of Islam."

According to Daly, Islam has used methods other than the sword to spread into areas like Europe. "Demographics and propaganda and economic warfare are extremely effective," he says. "Understand that once Islam ascends into a position of power, it's going to deny the rights to Western Europe that Western Europe is extending to them."

According to Daly, people in the West need to understand they are witnessing nothing less than a resurgence of the most destructive and intolerant ideology in world history, which for a thousand years tried to destroy Western civilization, and in the 21st century threatens to do it again.

#5 DQuixote, Jul 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2007
  6. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Hopeful covered the main point of this issue.

Let's see another passage:

[FONT=바탕]Matt 22[/FONT]

35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, 36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Why is the second commandment is like unto it ( the same as the first) ?

Here is the answer!

Luke 10
    25 And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? 26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou? 27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. 28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live. 29 But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour? 30 And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead. 31 And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. 32 And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side. 33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him, 34 And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. 35 And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee. 36 Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves? 37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

Interpretation :

All human beings are departing from Kingdom(Peace) of God ( Jerusalem=God provided peace) heading toward Jericoh ( Cursed Land, Hell), and they were robbed on the way of their lives because of their sins.

Levite, Priest ( Jewish Law, Human Efforts) were useless, just Hypocrites passed by the wretched man.

The humbled man, Jesus Christ came by and cured his wounds, poured the
    Oil and Wine ( shed the Blood and sent the Holy Spirit to him)
    took him on his own beast ( servant) and brought him to the Inn ( Pan-Dokeyon= Everybody welcome, Symbol of Church), next morning, he departed paying 2 pence to the Host of the Inn ( 2 pence: many interpretations may be possible, I would say they are Faith and Hope),

He said he will come again, and promised to pay any amount due to him.

Jesus will come again and the Host will get the reward upon His second coming.
    The wretched man were saved by His Blood and born again by the Holy Spirit and will be protected by the church until Jesus comes again.

Apparently the True Neighbor is our Lord Jesus Christ, and this is why Jesus said the second commandment is the same as the first.
    Loving the Neighbor means the Love of Jesus who loves everyone in the world in His own way.

The True Love comes thru Jesus Christ, we can love our neighbor thru Jesus Christ.
    Otherwise so-called" loves" are hypocrisy.

#6 Eliyahu, Jul 23, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  7. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

Wow................ Eliyahu, sometimes you say the wisest things!

:thumbs:

8. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is why I believe it is correct that the whole Bible can be squeezed as follows:

- 613 of all the commandments of OT ( 365 should do's, 248 should not do's)

- 10 commandments

- 2 commandments ( Love thy God with all thine heart, Love thy neighbor)
    The True Neighbor is Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ Himself is God.

- 1 Commandment : Love Jesus Christ.

9. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

WOW--Eliyahu, WERE you my SS teacher when I learned this lesson???? :wavey: Sounds SO much like what I remember and why it hit "home" with me so much!
    :jesus:

10. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed you were already correct when you hit the main point of the lesson there ! We just enjoy the Truth.

BTW, as for 2 denarii, some others interpret them as OT and NT, or Baptism and Lord's Supper, or some spiritual teachings sufficient for the living until the Lord comes again.
    I am so much grateful for my True Neighbor.

#10 Eliyahu, Jul 29, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I have known a few in my 35 years that loved their neighbor too much!!!!

12. billwald

billwald New Member

Neighbors are those people which we have personal contact with.

13. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

I had to do a little reconstruction to understand you ...
    What you say is good humanism - one could as well go find it in Islam or Yen -- why go to Christianity for it?

But have you read Peter, because he phrases his concept quite differently.

14. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

A little bit nearer than 'donnA', yet very far still from Peter.

15. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Read the ninth verse too.