1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

LU Distance Learning Enrollment Tops 20,000

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Dec 8, 2007.

1. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

How are the distance degrees viewed by employers and other educational institutions? I've always wondered this.

2. Broadus

Broadus Member

I suspect there is nothing that distinguishes a degree earned by distance education at Liberty from one that is earned on campus.

Bill

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I finished my seminary career (MA) through Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary's online program. The state university through which I am finishing up a MA in History accepted the history work I did at Liberty (a big help). I also teach history/religion at a community college. The community college honored my credits at Liberty and the state university. So my experience with Liberty University is very, very positive. Liberty is regionally and nationally accredited and it has a good academic reputation.

4. tank1976

tank1976 New Member

Whether your degree is earned on campus or online LU doesn't put that on your transcripts or degree.

5. ANewCreature

ANewCreature New Member

Still younger than one classmate in my online Hermeneutics course (I think that's the one), as he was in his early 70s.

6. christianyouth

Wow, well from what Martin and Tank say, it seems that Liberty University Distance Learning is great. :)

Does Liberty University Distance Program offer financial aid? Do Christian schools offer financial aid?

7. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have completed 2 classes in the DLP at LU, and I am currently enrolled in 3 more. I need 24 credits to get my Bach degree, and I am scheduled to take THEO 104 in March.

I LOVE this online program...I highly recommend it. I took courses from other schools online, and they were good, but LU is GREAT.

Debbie Mc

8. tank1976

tank1976 New Member

Yes , LU does offer financial aid. You can get pell grants, student loans, ect...

Most Christian colleges offer some type of aid, but you can only get US gov. financial aid if the college/university is accreddited through an acredditing agency that the US gov. approves. I will not get into all of that. :)

Look into Liberty. It will be worth it.

Are you looking to finish or start a degree? Are you in or going into the ministry?

9. christianyouth

I see, so if a university is accreddited by the government then governmental financial aid is available. This finally explains what all of the fuss about accreditation is about and why everyone insists I go to an accreddited institution.

I'm really unsure about what to do for higher education, it is extremely overwhelming. I'll be finished with homeschooling in March, and I really have NO idea in what to pursue. I appreciate the reccomendation for LU, i've looked over them and there seems to be numerous advantages for distance learning. I'm definitely going to check it out and stay in prayer about this.

But about the ministry, I would like to take a few classes someday through LU on Church History and Greek, but this would be more for my personal benefit, since I have no plan of ever entering the ministry.

- Andy

:)

10. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not government accreditation. It's accreditation recognized by the government. There is a difference. The agencies themselves are private entities.

In addition, private employers and other academic institutions often insist upon accredited degrees. For example, if your BA isn't accredited, you may have difficulty if you try to earn a master's degree down the line.

11. tank1976

tank1976 New Member

I agree. At least this has been what I've seen - known about -ect...

As for seeking a college to attend, choose one like Liberty. I know money may be an issue , but do your best to go to such a school. It is not perfect, none are, but you'll be glad you did.

You are doing the best thing right now- praying. Totally seek God in this.:praying: :thumbs:

12. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My AA is from Pueblo Comm College here in Colorado. The diploma says nothing about being earned online. It looks just like everybody else's diploma that was at my June graduation....and most of them were classroom students, since they offer real classes in Durango (47 miles from me).

Now I am taking courses at LU online, and I will graduate in May 09 with my Bach of Science (if I stay on track)

So nope, online doesn't matter. the course content is the same. The diploma is the same.

13. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

I have a friend going to the mission field in May, and he is beginning and continuing to work on a certificate (?) in counselling. I guess these are a great inroad in India.

14. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

I was planning to attempt a degree with Liberty online. The VA has approved me for Vocational Rehab (Disabled Veteran). I got the following response:

Religion: NO
    Psychology: NO
    Online: NO
    Liberty University: NO

#34 Carolina Baptist, Jan 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2008
  15. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

No way can they do that, unless "vocational rehab" means applied science or something like that.

16. Broadus

Broadus Member

I would contact Liberty and let them know about it. Surely a regionally-accredited university cannot be rejected.

Bill

17. Carolina Baptist

I emailed Liberty. After checking into it, they said that with Vocational Rehab the decission is made at the local VA office and there was nothing I could do. They are apearantly more restrictive than they are for any version of the GI Bill.

The intresting thing is that several counselors at the Winston Salem office have their MA from Liberty. I don't know if they went to the campus or if they did it online.

18. Broadus

Broadus Member

That really seems incredible. Is there an appeal process? Surely they have to give a reason for rejecting a regionally-accredited school, don't they?

If I didn't get anywhere with an appeal, I would contact my U. S. congressman.

Keep us posted, if you will.

Bill

19. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

Paging Mat Staver.

20. Carolina Baptist

The explaination that they gave me was this:

Religion grads tend to start "part time"(bi-vocational).

Psychology requires a Masters to be concidered professional level.

Online is for those who have a job while Voc Rehab is for those who can't get a job.

They claim that they have had trouble with Liberty grads being unable to find a job.
    When I asked why several of them had a degree from Liberty he responded that they got their MA to advance thier career, not to get a job.