1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Luke 1:48

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Dec 25, 2011.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Again, are do we honor mary biblically, IF we as baptists have not been?

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

All I can do is point you to Luke 1:48.

3. 12strings

12strings Active Member

2 questions for FAL:

1. What is it exactly that baptists are doing that you are calling disobedience to scriptures? What is it that you think some on this board are doing or saying that makes you say they are "following exactly what satan would have you to do? is it not calling her "blessed mary"? or something else?

2. If a baptist were not obeying this verse in anyway, and simply did not think or speak much of mary at all, would this be a sin? Based on some of your previous posts, it would seem that you would say no. Since you have said that ALL sin is a choice to sin. So if a baptist were unaware of this verse [or thought that it didn't mean what you think it means (which we are unsure of as of yet), or thought that it is not a command at all, but a prediction of how future generations would speak of mary]...If that were the case, then it would seem that they are not sinning at all, since by your statements all sin is a deliberate choice to sin?

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I am not sure where you are getting this stuff. Let me point you back to the OP.

5. JesusFan

The catholic Church is in SIN with the way that mary is venerated though!
    They have her as co matrix, co redeemer, that she is very much 4th person in trinity, pray to her, she intercedes for them at death, was w/o sin etc

Would you have us giving her that type of honor, bordering on heresy of worship?

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Let me point you to the OP question.

7. JesusFan

baptists have honored Mary biblically!

8. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    freeatlast,

I think I'm seeing this from different perspective. I see Mary's emphasis not on herself, but upon God. Yes, Mary said of herself that generations would call her blessed, but I don't see where she is saying that the word "blessed" would a be a label attached to her name or where we, as future Christians, should refer to her that way as if the term "blessed" were a title of some kind.

Back up a little and see Elizabeth saying that Mary is blessed among all women because she believed God.

Then Mary starts to praise God.

In this entire soliloquy (if you'll let me call it that), only those six words that I have underlined are in reference to herself. The rest is in reference to God. And even in that - she isn't going to be talked about as blessed because she bore Jesus, but because God regarded her lowly estate and because God used her for HIS glory's sake in creating her to be the mother of Jesus.

Her entire focus is upon God.

Ours should be too.

I feel that she is saying that people will view her as a blessed woman (she found favor with God), refer to her a blessed by God (discuss her virtues and her faith), but not "call" her as in "labeling" her blessed in the sense of exalting above other human beings.

She and Joseph both were very humble. They would have to be to accept what they had to accept.

I don't believe that Christians are supposed to go around saying, "The Blessed Mary" or "Mary, the Blessed Virgin, Mother of Jesus". I just don't think that's what she is talking about.

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Thank you for your thoughts on this. I am not agreeing or disagreeing with you at this point. So how do you think the phrase "from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed". is to be fulfilled?

10. JesusFan

everytime the story has been preached/taught in church it has been fulfilled!
    She has been honored and blessed past 2000 years!

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I have never heard anyone preach or teach a message on the blessedness of Mary in a Baptist church. That is not to say it could never happen but it would be rare. The passage may be read, in a teaching on the Christ child but never have I heard a message dedicated to Mary. So are you saying that because her name is mentioned that fulfills the scripture?

12. JesusFan

saying that was/is her blessing by the lord, as she is referenced as being mother of jesus and her dovation to God every time the story is read and taught on!

13. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have to agree with Jesusfan.

Just my two cents, each time her story is told -

• her finding favor with God
    • her obedience to God even though it seemed impossible what was happening to her
    • her faith in God
    • her pondering all these things in her heart
    • her getting up 9 months pregnant and following her husband to Bethlehem
    - in all of these stories, I think we get to see how blessed she was. Not that she was some goody-two-shoes or that God liked her more than other women, but that she - in her own words - was in a lowly estate and yet God chose her to be a vessel for His Son and her/our Savior.

14. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Personally, I see no problem.

Does it pose a problem for you, and if so, what do you suggest be done about it?

15. JesusFan

Didn't Jesus call John the baptist greatest born of woman, yet John said He must increase, while I must decrease?

paul said that what counts was not being named after paul/peter/Jiohn etc but jesus...

Wouldn't mary be the same deal?

Focus on her Son, not her?

16. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Hmmm trying to figure out why you would say I am following satan??? I will let that be a road you are on by yourself if you are waiting for my company.

17. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

The fact of the matter is that the ways of honoring Mary, as proposed by FAL, are limited by Baptist faith and tradition.

1. Baptists can’t pray to Mary because they don’t fully accept the doctrine of communion of saints.

2. Baptists can’t put up statues of Mary because, well, it appears to violate the Second Commandment.

3. Baptists can’t sing hymns about Mary because that would amount to worship of her.

4. Baptists can’t name their churches for Mary because, well, we prefer to name them after ancient churches like Berea and Antioch.

5. Baptists can’t say the rosary (see #1 above).

So what can we do to honor Mary?

We could refer to her as the “Blessed Virgin Mary.” Or “Blessed Mary,” for those who don’t believe in her perpetual virginity, although this latter title just doesn’t have the same ring to it.

We could put up a painting of Mary somewhere in the Sunday School department. Not to worry about her being more prominent than Jesus because most churches will already have a painting of Jesus in the most prominent place in the department.

We could ask the pastor to do one sermon a year that includes Mary—in addition to the usual Christmas messages.

On a more serious note, I was flabbergasted when several years ago our Lifeway Sunday School Quarterly had a series of lessons called “Great Women of Faith” or something like that. Guess who was absent from the list?

18. JesusFan

How do you define her "blessedness?" though?
    Did God exault her to a higher position than rest of the saints?

was she conceived w/o sin herself?

just how do you see her?

19. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I am not suggesting elevating her above God, but I am reminded what the scripture says in Luke 1:48 and I don’t see it happening in most non Catholic churches, but the Catholics are also in error as they go too far. She is the mother of the Lord. Frankly our mothers get more respect at mothers day once a year in most non Catholic churches then Mary does ever. I just think we have over compensated for what the Catholic church does in this regard.

20. JesusFan

How would you prefer a baptist church to give her honor, IF not as the RCC does?