1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Luke 16:9

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by GODzThunder, Aug 17, 2004.

1. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

what do you believe is the interpertation of Luke 16:9?

2. Cix

Cix New Member

(Luk 16:9 ESV)
    And I tell you, make friends for yourselves by means of unrighteous wealth, so that when it fails they may receive you into the eternal dwellings.

He is talking about using riches for doing good unto people.

(From Albert Barne's Notes on the Bible)
    ...by employing them (unrighteous wealth or mammon of unrighteousness) in works of mercy and benevolence, aiding the poor, contributing to the advance of the gospel, bestowing them where they will do good, and in such a manner that God will “approve” the deed, and will bless us for it. Commonly riches are a “hindrance” to piety. To many they are snares; and, instead of positively “benefiting” the possessor, they are an injury, as they engross the time and the affections, and do not contribute at all to the eternal welfare of the soul. Everything may, by a proper use, be made to contribute to our welfare in heaven. Health, wealth, talents, and influence may be so employed; and this is what our Saviour doubtless means here.

3. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

I think the basic point is to use worldly possessions and wealth in an appropriate manner. Indeed it follows the parable of the dishonest manager. Like the manager we should make responsible and selfless use of material goods - storing up (for ourselves) treasure which "fadeth not away". In cutting in half the master's bills he was likely cutting himself out of his usury - not cheating the master.

Mammon is originally Semitic (Aramaic - and possibly even Punic according to Augustine). It has the meaning of "credit in the bank" (Fitzmyer). The meaning of "mammon of unrighteousness" refers to the fact that the money is seductive - not that it has been obtained illicitly. The Aramaic expressions "hon hamas" and "hon haris'ah" (wealth of violence and wealth of evil) are similar in their allusion to the problems that come from money. This explains the "unrighteousness".

My understanding of this passage draws much from the great commentaries by JA Fitzmyer and Darrell Bock.

4. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

just from an applicative study from this verse I have found that money is in itself sinful in nature. What you are talking about you say? Think back to the garden of Eden, God's original intention for mankind. The Lord intended man to work by the sweat of his brow and be as gardeners and caretakers for the earth. We were to till the gardens and grow our own food. What we had was only what we needed and what we had in abundance was to be given to the needy (if there was to be any needy). Then after man fell in sin one day a man created an object of desire (possibly or maybe developed a talent that was desired). This man was asked to share his object or talent but due to pride and greed, he agreed only to do so in exhange for a portion of one's daily gatherings. This was the first monetary transaction. From here on people began to associate valuable metals and materials with monetary value. Thus we come to today where you cannot have ANYTHING without an exchange of money. For this reason many people covet money because they desire to have and HAVE! Jesus gave many parables on stewardship to show us that what we have is not for personal gain as the world does, to collect and covet filthy mammon but is to use for God's glory. Investing in the gospel will bring friends who will receive you even in glory.

like I said, just my applicative findings [​IMG] oh yes, this theory on money is where I believe we get the scripture that the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil.

I cannot begin to imagine the millenium where we will all labor for love and will not have a monetary exchange, only help and share.

5. Cix

Cix New Member

Albert Barnes' Notes on the Bible"
    "The word “unrighteous,” here, stands opposed to “the true riches” in Luke 16:11, and means “deceitful, false, not to be trusted.” It does not signify, therefore, that they had acquired the property “unjustly,” but that property was “deceitful” and not to be trusted. The wealth of the steward was deceitful; he could not rely on its continuance; it was liable to be taken away at any moment. So the wealth of the world is deceitful. We cannot “calculate” on its continuance. It may give us support or comfort now, but it may be soon removed, or we taken from “it,” and we should, therefore, so use it as to derive benefit from it hereafter."

Matthew Henry's Commentary:
    "..those who trust to it for satisfaction and happiness will certainly be deceived; for riches are perishing things, and will disappoint those that raise their expectations from them.."