1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Luke 4:18 -19 and Isaiah 61:1-2

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by kman, Feb 8, 2003.

1. kman

kman New Member

These verses have come up in some of the other threads. In Luke 4:18-19 Christ is quoting from
    Isaiah.

Now..it has been asserted that the "recovering
    of sight to the blind" isn't in Isaiah 61:1 and
    thus has been "lost" from the Hebrew manuscripts.

If you look at the footnotes in the ESV edition
    of the bible..it states that the last phrase in
    Isaiah 61:1 regarding "the opening of the prison to those who ar bound" can be translated "the opening [of the eyes] to those who are blind".

So agrees John Gill.

If that is so..then that would mean the last phrase of Luke 4:18 "to set at liberty them that are bruised" is "missing" from Is. 61:1.

However..according to John Gill:

"To set at liberty them that are bruised: these words are not in Isa_61:1 but in the Septuagint version of Isa_58:6 from whence they seem to be taken, or else from Isa_42:7 it being allowable for a reader in the prophets, to skip from place to place, which our Lord here did, in order to explain this passage more fully."

-kman

2. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

i wonder if it possible if the scroll that jesus read from was somewhat corrupted, but not enough to change the meaning? after all, jesus's mission wasn't to go around correcting bad copies of scrolls.

3. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    kman, The intention behind citing those scriptures was not to present an irreconcilable difficulty or anything like that. The point being made was that this passage disproves KJVO constructs on preservation and perfection. It shows Jesus quoting scripture. Since Luke and Isaiah don't exactly match, the KJVO contention that unless something is worded exactly the same and includes exactly the same information at every point then it cannot be the perfect Word of God is disproven- by the words of the Lord Himself no less.

Actually, I found the discrepancy while watching a "Gail Riplinger Lecture Series" video in which she roundly condemns the NASB for not being the same as the KJV in this text. I did something that never seems to occur to many KJVO's... I looked it up and tried to determine what might be a reasonable explaination for the difference.

This proof text against KJVO assumptions was purely incidental. BTW, I think the MT/TR is probably correct here with regard to the questionable insertion/deletion.

I hate that this will probably disturb the strange peace that has developed lately but I didn't want any misunderstandings about why these texts were an issue.

4. kman

kman New Member

Please notice, I posted that back on 2/8 when the discussion surrounding those 2 passages was being debated.

I was just posting a possible explaination I read about in Gill's commentaries.

I'm trying not to get too bent out of shape regarding the variant readings anymore. If you look throughout history Christians have used texts that have differed in minor ways (check out the textual apparatus in the UBS Greek New Testament...church fathers..versions..etc..go one way and then another). It will take someone wiser than me to sort all that out.

peace,
    -kman

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isaiah 61 is not an isolated case.

KJV Matthew 12
    18 Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles.
    19 He shall not strive, nor cry; neither shall any man hear his voice in the streets.
    20 A bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench, till he send forth judgment unto victory.
    21 And in his name shall the Gentiles trust .

LXE Isaiah 42:1 Jacob is my servant, I will help him: Israel is my chosen, my soul has accepted him; I have put my Spirit upon him; he shall bring forth judgement to the Gentiles.
    2 He shall not cry, nor lift up his voice, nor shall his voice be heard without.
    3 A bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench; but he shall bring forth judgement to truth.
    4 He shall shine out, and shall not be discouraged, until he have set judgement on the earth: and in his name shall the Gentiles trust.

KJV Isaiah 42:1 Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.
    2 He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street.
    3 A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.
    4 He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set judgment in the earth:
    and the isles shall wait for his law.

While all three passages are significantly different,
    the TR and the Septuagint support "and in his name shall the Gentiles trust" as opposed to the Masora Hebrew and the KJV English " and the isles shall wait for his law"

HankD

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is one more for the sake of the discussion…

KJV Luke 3
    4 As it is written in the book of the words of Esaias the prophet, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.
    5 Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be brought low; and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough ways shall be made smooth;
    6 And all flesh shall see the salvation of God.

LXE Isaiah 40:3
    The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make straight the paths of our God.
    4 Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be brought low: and all the crooked ways shall become straight, and the rough places plains.
    5 And the glory of the Lord shall appear, and all flesh shall see the salvation of God: for the Lord has spoken it.

KJV Isaiah 40
    3 The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.
    4 Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain:
    5 And the glory of the LORD shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.

The TR and the Septuagint support "the salvation of God"
    The KJV Masoretic Hebrew and KJV English (Isaiah 40) omit the phrase.
    Also the KJV/Masora adds "in the desert" in verse Isaiah 40:3 which Luke 3:4 and the LXX omit.

HankD

7. Archangel7

Archangel7 New Member

The difficulty with this explanation is that it goes against what the text of Luke explicitly tells us. Luke clearly says, "And when he had opened the book, he found the place (and not "the places," plural) where it was written..." (Lk. 4:17 KJV). Luke also tells us, "And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture (and not "these scriptures," plural) fulfilled in your ears" (Lk. 4:21).

There's another instance where we find a different version of Isaiah in an actual copy of the Scriptures being read by someone -- the Ethiopian eunuch.

7 he IS BROUGHT as a LAMB to the slaughter,
    and AS a SHEEP BEFORE HER SHEARERS IS DUMB,
    so HE OPENETH not his mouth.
    8 HE WAS TAKEN FROM PRISON AND FROM JUDGMENT:
    and who shall declare his generation?
    for HE WAS CUT OFF FROM THE LAND OF THE LIVING:
    (Isa. 53:7-8, KJV)

27 And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship, 28 Was returning, and sitting in his chariot READ Esaias the prophet. 29 Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot. 30 And Philip ran thither to him, and HEARD HIM READ the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou READEST? 31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him. 32 THE PLACE OF THE SCRIPTURE WHICH HE READ was this,
    He WAS LED as a SHEEP to the slaughter;
    and LIKE a LAMB DUMB BEFORE HIS SHEARER,
    so OPENED HE not his mouth:
    33 IN HIS HUMILIATION HIS JUDGMENT WAS TAKEN AWAY:
    and who shall declare his generation?
    for HIS LIFE IS TAKEN FROM THE EARTH.
    34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man? 35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at THE SAME SCRIPTURE, and preached unto him Jesus.
    (Ac. 8:27-33, KJV)