1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Luke chapter 8

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, May 18, 2013.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Luke 8:39 a man had been healed of demons, and told to "Return to thine own house, and shew how great things God hath done unto thee"

But in Luke 8:56, after Jesus raised a girl from the dead; scriptures state: "but he charged them that they should tell no man what was done".

Why did the Lord want the first man to announce the miracle, but not the second one.

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I will take a stab at it. Being healed of demons was a miracle, but others had done it, and it was not enough of a unique miracle to identify the Savior alone

Raising someone from the dead is the same as creating life, a skill only God has. In God's plan, it was not time to reveal Christ as the Savior.

I hope I have not slaughtered it too bad.

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Well, did not Elijah raise a boy from the dead? And Apostle Paul did so, too.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You are correct, but I cannot think of another reason. I would appreciate it if you would give me your take on the question.

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

When the one who had a legion of demons possessing him was healed by Jesus, they begged Jesus to leave their area. Jesus told him to go and tell them what He had done for him as a witness to the power of God, imo. This was Jesus' way of showing that group of people the miracle He did, and that God, the Son, was here at that time.

The 12 y/o maiden was in amongst a bunch of believers and non-believers. The non-believers sought many ways to cause Him to "stagger" so that they could kill Him, seeing that they wouldn't believe. Personally, I believe He told her to keep her silence so that He wouldn't be bombarded with stones. His hour of death wasn't yet, and He knew this, but this was His way of seeing that the "fulfillment hour" would happen at precisely the right time, imo.

6. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The man healed of demon possession was a Gentile in Gentile territory. The girl was Jewish and in Jewish territory. The resurrection of the girl would cause greater scrutiny in Israel and raise opposition to His ministry before the appointed time, IMHO.

edited to add.... convicted1 has already said much the same thing.

peace to you:praying:

#6 canadyjd, May 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2013
  7. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible can be such a fun book, how blessed we are to be able to do these things.

Can you imagine what a total pain and heartache this guy was to his family while he was possessed? And what a healing it was also to the family to have him restored back to them in a normal state of mind?

He was a Gentile, and he wanted to join with and follow Christ, evidently to be a disciple; Jesus told him to go home and declare the great things God had done.

Edersheim cites the open hostility from the Jewish authorities that His fame from the miracles would cause as one of the reasons for His injunction of silence. Also, it was His character to shrink from the fame connected with miracles and, as a matter of necessity as to not attract 'sight seers', 'aspirants for temporal benefits', curiosity seekers, etc.

It seems the more He charged them to keep quiet the more they told:

43 And he strictly charged him, and straightway sent him out,
    44 and saith unto him, See thou say nothing to any man: but go show thyself to the priest, and offer for thy cleansing the things which Moses commanded, for a testimony unto them.
    45 But he went out, and began to publish it much, and to spread abroad the matter, insomuch that Jesus could no more openly enter into a city, but was without in desert places: and they came to him from every quarter. Mk 1

#7 kyredneck, May 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2013
  8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the views already expressed are right, in the case of the little girl, Jesus did not want to raise the ire of Jewish officials because the timing was not right, and in the case of the man, he had wanted to accompany Jesus, but instead Jesus to him to go home, i.e. to Decapolis.(Mark 5:17-20). Both actions, although differing, were consistent with the timing of Christ's revelation, first to the Jews, then to the Gentiles.