1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

M.A/M.Div "without" Languages or Thesis?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Dr. Bob, May 28, 2005.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Had heard this was a trend in some seminaries.

No Greek or Hebrew required? Classwork credits may replace a thesis?

Anyone help me out here?

I had to have 6 Hebrew and 6 Greek exegesis (assumed 14 Greek undergrad credits) along with an 80-page thesis for an M.A. in 1970.

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know of several seminaries that have the thesis/classwork option. I think such an option is ok. A thesis is only really needed for someone going on to a doctorate degree and/or an academic field. I am not sure a missionary needs to do a thesis.

Under Dr Caner, Liberty will be putting more focus on the languages.

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

At the MDiv level, Detroit Seminary requires an oral doctrinal defense rather than a thesis. This defense consists of a written doctrinal statement (usually 15 to 20 pages in length) and a grilling at the hands of the faculty for 1 1/2 hours. They require a thesis for a ThM. They are however, very tough on language. Sixteen hours of Greek (five semesters) and 14 hours of Hebrew (four semesters). They also require much writing for classwork. MDiv graduates will have written between 7-10 25+ page papers during their classwork covering areas from systematic theology to exegesis to church history.

I would avoid a seminary like the plague if it didn't have heavy dose of theology and the languages.

4. UZThD

UZThD New Member

I agree with Larry.

5. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Would you want a pastor who had the opportunity to study the Word of God in its original languages, and chose not to? I wouldn't.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

There are two basic philosophies operating in seminaries. One is that God has called you we will help you get through. The other one is God has called you and we will help you be well prepared.

Some folks take pride in being ignorant. They actually see ignorance as a good thing. They often believe that if you are educated you will lack faith or lose it.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some schools required a thesis or a project and an oral and written exam for an M.A.

8. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

The thesis is not that important to me. But I think the languages should be be required.

9. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The M.A. should require a thesis or a comparable substitute because it is an academic degree.

The M.Div. doesn't need to require a thesis because it is a professional degree.

Languages should be required with both programs, for knowledge of the biblical languages will benefit one academically and professionally.

10. Broadus

Broadus Member

The lack of languages troubles me more than substituting coursework for thesis, though I prefer the thesis. The biblical "language-less" MDiv trend is particularly troubling. I see in it a further "dumbing down" of theological education, following the same trend in secular education. Many see languages as not being practical. After all, how much study in languages does one need to preach topical, felt needs sermons? So, our people know less of the Word, their lives live less Word, and their witness for Christ has less impact. I realize there are exceptions, so don't flame me too badly.

Blessings,
    Bill

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Appreciate the good insights.

My MA was Greek/Hebrew + Thesis + oral defense (of thesis). And I thought that standard.

But that was in 1970, another dispensation before anyone had any fun . .

12. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

My M.A.C.E. (Christian Ed., 62 hours) had no language requirement, did have an internship. To upgrade to and M.Div. would have the languages. This would be required before entering a doctoral programme.

[ Oops! There's that Canadian spelling. "Program" You'd think that after 20+ years back in the states that I'd have lost that. ;) ]

13. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

The value of a thesis requirement, I think, is that it shows several things not easily established by course work alone. IMHO, the thesis gives more rigor to the course of study. It demonstrates one's abilities in working independently, communicating in written form, doing scholarly research, organizing academic material and doing a lengthy project over a period of time. Lack of a thesis, IMHO, is an academic downgrade.