1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mac OS X Leopard

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Dale-c, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I just upgraded to OS X leopard and I really like it.

I especially like the new dictionary that incorporates Wikipedia.

ALso, whenever I see a word posted on here that I am unfamiliar with I can simply highlight it, right click an open it in the dictionary.

Very useful.

Over all it is a solid upgrade.

2. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I love it as well. I have had it for a month. The networking link was strange at 1st, but every thing else was great. Flipping through files like cards makes it easy to find a file. I like the unix type "spaces" too. This is something I wanted for a while and helps if you use alot of programs like I do. I have not used time machine, but it will make a handy tool when I get it setup

The best OS hands down I have used. I give it 5 out of 5 stars. :)

3. Joe

Joe New Member

I am holding a Tiger OS Disk and a grey Mac Mini Osx Instal Disk. We own two mac minis which sit side by side. I thought I had Leopard, but they grey instal disk doesn't say Leopard. It only says mac mini instal disk-10.3.7 2005 version. The other disk says Tiger version 10.4.
    Wth the older mac mini, I have to put my ear to the computer to hear the sound,( a mechanical problem, not software) and it get's hung up on MS Word, the firefox get's hung up spinning about, but Safari works great. Still, it works so much better than Windows :thumbs: If Windows users only knew...;) No viruses as of yet. I am afraid to upgrade because my itunes songs may be deleted even if people say they won't. Won't chance it. It won't attatch anything in the BB posts, not sure why. Even when it is within size so you may want to check that.

The newer mac mini has notepad which is nice, and great sound. Also alot of extra programs but that's ok. It runs great. If you need the Install disks & numbers, I can burn them for you (I think they'll burn) or if you want any special program I can burn to disk and send to either of you, just let me know.

#3 Joe, Dec 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2007
  4. MrJim

MrJim New Member

[​IMG]

I upgraded to Leopard shortly after it came out and never knew of this feature~thanks so much for waking me up to it!!

Macs rule~love my mini!

5. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. MrJim

MrJim New Member

You know how it is~skip the instruction and just tear into it. I do think it's time to check it out more deeply though~thanks~

7. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    " You know how it is~skip the instruction and just tear into it."

Well of course is there another way? :laugh:

8. MrJim

MrJim New Member

The tutorial was 1/2 hour well spent~Mail looks better all the time (I use Thunderbird).

One thing on spaces he didn't mention~I use an expose "hot corner" to activate spaces instead of keys or spaces icon.

Having been a former pc user I'm not much into the keys control~use mouse for most everything...I understand the cradle mac users use key combos for alot of things.

9. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I never cared for virtual desktops using linux but the Leopard version is great!

10. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Joe, can you hit your apple menu and click "about this mac"? It will tell you the version etc.

If you have an early Mac Mini it might just have 256 MB of RAM which could be part of your problem.

I am on a new intel core duo Mini with 2 GB of RAM and it is great. Later I need to upgrade the older G4 Mac Mini I have here to leopard. It is maxed out at 1 GB.

11. Joe

Joe New Member

Your's sounds like a higher quality computer Dale. :thumbs: Glad you got it
    You're correct. I only have 256 mb memory.

Here's my info when I click MY apple- Mac OSX version 10.23.9

Mac mini
    CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 1.25 GHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
    Memory: 256 MB
    Bus Speed: 167 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 4.8.9f1
    Serial Number: YM51139LRHT

My teenage son's computer-

Mac OSX Version 10.4.11
    has 1 gb of memory and his sound works great.

I thought that could be the reason (low memory) yet I am too cheap to buy memory and pay someone to install it. There are no mac computer people here so I would need to drive to Sacramento.

As you know, it's more difficult to install memory than it was on the older windows computers which were real easy for me to take apart. We also have hundreds of itunes songs we share with everyone(if you're interested). Half or so are mp3's my son got from his math teacher at school. I received an itunes gift card for Xmas, so that's nice. Getting bored with listening to all of the old 70-80's songs.

#11 Joe, Jan 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2008
  12. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I hate to make you feel bad Dale....but...2 months ago I got and am now running........

A quad core intel 3ghz...with 8 gig ram...and get this...2 ...yes i said 2 ...24 inch displays. Final Cut is a blast

but...I'm a graphics man....so this is my life. :)

13. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

That is a great system for most all things.

Buy memory here when the time comes......

http://eshop.macsales.com/

14. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Ok, ok....welll, I would love to have the 24" LCDs but to be honest, I am glad to be rid of my G4 tower. It was way too big.

My next purchase it a laptop.
    I had a MBP but that was a company laptop and no longer work there.

I had to have a laptop quick for a contract I am working on now so I got a cheap Gateway.
    I have come so close to getting another Apple laptop but I keep telling myself to wait until the MacWorld Expo when thhere should be new laptops out.

15. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I love the look of Leopard. I really like Spaces since I use Parallels to run XP for one Bible program that is not ready for Mac yet (come on Logos get your act together). I am a fairly new Mac user (almost 1 year old) and I was impressed how easy it was to upgrade. Sure beats my Windows experiences.

I am probably the first person to run Leopard this far south in the world. Now if I just get somebody to buy a poor missionary a new Mac mini I will be happy. :smilewinkgrin: Just kidding. I hope to buy one some time this year. Believe it or not we do have authorized Apple resellers down here.

#15 4His_glory, Jan 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2008
  16. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

I am probably the first person to run Leopard this far south in the world.
    And how far south would that be? South America is a large amount of territory.

Anyway, I am glad to see more Mac users around here these days. Now if I can find a way to upgrade my 1998 vintage G3 to something made in this century so that I could enjoy the pleasures of OSX.
    :type:

17. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Argentina. So far south that if you swam across the atlantic you would miss Australia (about half way down the map).

Check out the Apple refurbished store if you want to replace your G3. There are some good deals sometimes.

18. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

A G3 will run OS X but just older versons.
    Sounds like you have a beige G3 which will only run 10.2 (Jaguar)
    If is is a blue and white G3 it will run all the way up to Tiger (10.4)
    But keep in mind it will need plenty of RAM.

19. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

good deals here...

http://www.macofalltrades.com/

I bought a whole skid of used imac's from the place. One keyboard didn't work and I called them and they sent a new one out and never asked for the old one.

20. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

My G3 is one of the older models, 233mhz desktop, pre-USB. At the time 32mb RAM was standard, but I had it upgraded to 96mb before they shipped it. I'm not sure that it would run OSX even with more RAM.

Got it from powermax.com another store with great Mac deals.
    :type: