1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MacArthur on the Purpose Driven Life

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Revmitchell, May 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I think it's safe to say that he is talking about people.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A record of people who have failed. For example David, Moses, Peter, etc.

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ is LORD. That is the truth, that is a fact. My failures have nothing to do with the Lordship of Jesus Christ.

4. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

I hope that at some point in time John McArthur will realize what a grievious, judgmental and phariseeical thing he is doing here in this presentation. (and surely more grievious in a full message)

There was nothing in the world wrong with the gospel presentation (the invitation) that Rick Warren gave in his book

Repentance WAS included. One can not place their faith in Christ without *forsaking* their lack of faith in Christ.

Its an impossibility.

I consider John McArthur a brother and have been blessed by many of his messages. But he...without a doubt...incorporates some degree of legalism in his biblical mindset.

Its in full display here.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. However since the first time I heard him speak in 1974 I have seen a lot of growth in him over the years.

6. Alive in Christ

I used to listen to McArthur all the time back in the city where I used to live. He's not on the air here so I listen on the net from his website sometimes.

He can really be just so very good sometimes. I'd say more times than not I'm really blessed and edified by his teaching.

But those other times....so legalistic.

Sure am glad that Gods not through with any of us yet. :thumbs:

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no gospel, that can line up with any scripture; in the passage of RW's book that MacArthur presented.

8. Alive in Christ

:eek:

Nonsense.

9. historyb

historyb New Member

There is no time that God is not Lord, He is Lord regardless of what we do.

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Can you explain?

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

So no need to preach Jesus as Lord?

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "First believe, believe God loves you and made you for his purposes.Believe God has chosen you to have a relationship with who died on the cross for you. Believe that no matter what you have done God wants to forgive you. Receive Jesus as Lord and Savior. Receive His forgiveness of sins." Pg.58

How is anyone supposed to understand what the cross means by this half truth? How How is anyone supposed to understand the depth of sin? It is these quickie gospel presentations that has lead to so many false conversions.

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Have you ever asked some people in your church to explain salvation and anyone has understood the temporal aspect of salvation? I tried that once and found that not one person mentioned that part of salvation. Yet James mentions it.

Seldom when I invited someone to church and the invitation was given did the person perfectly understood that that was all about. In every case the person asked me what it was all about. Most of them have been good preachers too. I think that says a lot about the understandability of most invitations rather than carefully explaining what is going on. In so many cases the invitation does not relate to the sermon but rather a mini sermon tacked onto the end.

14. Alive in Christ

Paul taught in Ephesians is "For it is by grace that you are saved, through faith. And that not of yourself, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest anyone should boast."

No jumping through several theological hoops to be saved. No having to pass a doctrinal quiz to be saved.

Faith in Christ. Period.

And there is actually more in Warrens invitation than what the Philipian jailer was told...

Do you criticize PAUL and Silas for preaching such terrible "easy believism"?

Or how about Christ Himself, to the thief. All the thief said was "Lord, remember me when you come into your kingdom"

Faith in Christ alone.

I think you know what Christs response was

No, its making seekers feel like they have to succesfully run a theological 50 mile cross country trek in order to get a "passing grade" to be admitted to heaven that turns them away....rather than simply saying to the Lord...

"Help! I'm broken. I need you"

THAT is what gets Gods attention, my brother.

:godisgood:

#54 Alive in Christ, May 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2009
  15. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved. You and your household" Notice He didn't say the SAVIOR Jesus Christ. I think when Paul said LORD that packed a punch that needed little explanation. Today we are under teaching that has left out Jesus as Lord and tell people Jesus is you financial adviser,marriage helper,best life here ect. What about BOW THE KNEE?

16. OldRegular

Read the above post by Jedi Knight to receive an answer.

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Exactly. These people realized that Jesus was LORD. They didn't just see Him as a nice person who taught some good things. They called on Him as God.
    They didn't need to understand all the finer theological points, only that He is LORD (God) with all power and authority. How can you be saved if you view Christ in any other way?

I know of several people who for many years thought they were saved simply because they believed that Christ lived and forgave sins. But they did not submit to Him as LORD (God). Once they did, they were born again.

18. OldRegular

I believe the above two posts get to the heart of the matter. Too often the LORD Jesus Christ is presented as a person to be pitied begging people to "what". I once had a pastor who, though not a great preacher, made a statement to the congregation I shall never forge, namely: "How dare you feel sorry for my LORD". I don't know what precipitated the remark but I am glad something did.

Many preachers of this day preach Jesus Christ as the big Santa in the sky, only a "hare's breath" away from the name it and claim it crowd and the Word Faith heresy. I encourage everyone to read Jim1999's post on another thread. In fact to make it easy and with Jim's indulgence I will repeat it:

“The single book that had the greatest impact on my spiritual life was Through Gates of Splendor by Elizabeth Elliot. The story of Jim Elliot and the other four missionaries killed by the Auca indians in South America. Jim Elliot, the one whose quote has inspired more missionaries than any other incident: "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."

Betty Elliot and Rachel Saint returned to tell the gospel to those same people who killed her husband and Rachel's brother. Amazing story; amazing lives!”

Cheers,

Jim

Well “Cheers” to you Jim. I had almost forgotten!

19. Alive in Christ

In the invitation people are criticizing as being a "half truth", or a "watered down" invitation because Warren isnt presenting Christ as Lord, they must not have bothered to READ it...

20. Alive in Christ

>>edit<<

accidental duplicate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.