1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Macintosh users?

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by baptistteacher, Feb 8, 2003.

1. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

I use a Macintosh G3 instead of a PC clone. I find it easier to use and much more stable than a PC.

How many other Mac users are there on the board?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] :cool:

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here! [​IMG]

PowerMac G4 here. This is my second Macintosh system. I saw the light a few years ago and gave up Windows. I've never been happier with my computer experience and wouldn't want to go back.

Unfortunately I have to use Windows 2000 and Windows XP in the office each day and they are much less reliable and more difficult to do simple things.

(I mean, Microsoft should figure out that not everyone wants to put all their documents in "My Documents" -- but they thoughtlessly hard-coded it into Windows so you have to constantly re-tell the system when to save everything!)

There are better ways to do things besides Windows. Go Linux or Macintosh (OS X - Unix) instead. :D

3. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well you have answered this question already, can you acsess BB with a Mac [​IMG]

I want to get a Mac, they seem really user friendly and perfect for Internet Surfing, Yet in Australia they would be luck to be near 10% of home computers. Is that the case in the US?

4. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. Very well in fact.

They're also almost completely immune to the "internet" (that is, Microsoft) viruses. While I use the software firewall built into OS X, I have no real fear of catching a virus from a Windows user. The worst a Mac person can usually do is pass the virus on to another Windows user without ever knowing the virus passed through their system. They just don't work except for maybe a couple of things associated with Microsoft Office.

Speaking of Office, the Mac version is the best version of Office that exists -- Microsoft said this -- and I'm almost ready to drop the cash for the latest version.

As far as sales go, Apple is well below 10% of the market, but since Macs tend take longer to go obsolete, there is probably a user base of 10% to 14% -- counting business, education and consumer users.

5. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

2 things seem to hold the Mac back in sales:

1. The perception that you can't get software.
    --> Anything you can do with a PC clone, you can do with a Mac.The major software companies make a Mac version, also. There are many Mac-only applications, too. And lots of great shareware and freeware. Try GraphiConverter for a wonderful program that will open almost any graphics format around, and provides tools for editing/modifying them.

2. The higher cost. The Mac sells for a higher initial price, but consider a few other factors that will help equalize things.
    --> As already mentioned, longer useful life. This relates to both obsoletion and durability. They just last longer.
    -->The things that are built-in that are often optional on a PC. This can add up to a large difference sometimes. Especially in laptops/notebooks.
    --> You don't need to buy as high a "mhz" rating to get the same speed. My old 233mhz operates roughly at about the same speed as a 500mhz PC. This happens because of the more efficient circuitry design, and a more efficient Operating System.
    --> Much easier to use, with fewer system problems (crashes). The ease of use is phenomenal! That is the reason that I use a Mac. The fewer system problems is a bonus!
    I have had my Mac since May, 1999, and have only needed to reformat the hard-drive ONE TIME. Even then, I was able to salvage many of my files before reformatting. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

If you checked the "Apple" in the Apple-IBM poll, make yourself known here! Don't be afraid, no one will hurt you. [​IMG]

Apple, a better machine for today's Baptists! ;)

7. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

i use a mac, since ibm pcs are worldly tools of the devil.

8. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I suppose one advantage of a Mac is that you can have one in the colour of your choice. Match your Wallpaper. :D

9. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can have any color as long as it is white. :D

The multi-color iMacs disappeared about a year ago. Now white is the color for most Apple systems except for the G4 tower and Powerbook.

10. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

WHAT!!! No more purple IMacs??? :eek:

11. Gayla

Gayla New Member

posted by BAptistteacher--> Much easier to use, with fewer system problems (crashes). The ease of use is phenomenal! That is the reason that I use a Mac. The fewer system problems is a bonus!

did you know your brother's PC crashed and burned last week?? [​IMG] [​IMG]

what country is your flag from?

12. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alas, I use both Macs and PCs. Early on I preferred the Macs; but XP is a great leap forward (with apologies to Mao.)

It just depends on what you want to do. At our publishing business we use Macs for graphics and photo editing, PCs for everything else.

The chief drawback of Macs is — as it ever has been — the cost, the lack of thrid-party parts, and availability of software.

Because of work-related issues, I adopted Windows many years ago. I've been through 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, Milennium and XP. Milennium, though I've heard it denigrated widely, has been good to me. XP is working very nicely.

When the comparison was between DOS (although I had Digital Research DOS, a far superior product to MOS-DOS) it was really easy to pick the winner. Now it's not so clear.

13. baptistteacher

Site Supporter

Hi Sis!
    1. No, he didn't call my resident computer nerd about it ...

2. The flag is from Romania.

14. Gayla

Gayla New Member

1. No, he didn't call my resident computer nerd about it ...

2. The flag is from Romania.
    </font>[/QUOTE]He called mine.(about a week later) [​IMG] 1100 miles away! go figure