1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Magic Jack

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Tom Butler, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I've seen this advertised on TV. It sounds good. Have any of you tried it. What can you tell me about it? Any hidden costs? Does it actually work? Any caveats?

2. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

My dad uses it, which shows that it is pretty easy to use since he is completely computer ignorant. It works pretty well. The quality is not always 100% great, but most of the time it is good. For the price you can't beat it. He uses it mostly when traveling out of town and out of the country.

3. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My father-in-law uses it, or used it. He couldn't get a local number. He lives in eastern NC and the number they gave him was in Nashville, TN. Wasn't always the best quality, but it did work.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

wouldn't that make calling him a long distance call, even if you lived next door?
    I wouldn't like that.
    I've been seeing it and we wondered how it was.
    but my internet is on my phone/cable. I need it.

5. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've heard pros and cons about Magic Jack. The Better Business Bureau gives it an A-
    The BBB also offers this link with buyer's reviews of Magic Jack.

If you do decide to purchase one, Tom, please let us know how it works. :thumbs:

6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I use Skype and love it. I prefer a VoIP solution to be hardware independent. For instance, I can use Skype on my cell phone with my data connection or even Wifi.

Also magic jack appears to require your computer to be on. With Skype I have a dedicated base station that plugs into my router so my computer does not need to be on.

Over all, it looks like the Magic Jack is not bad...but not very flexible.

7. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I found this review on another site.

I should note that I have not used MagicJack personally.
    It is not bad by any means but I think for me, Skype is still much better.
    I have used Skype from before they even had phone service.
    I used Skype when they were in free beta for their phone service then I bought a year of skype out the first month they offered it.

I now use a dedicated Philips skype phone.

I also have it on my Nokia cell phone and I can use it over wifi.

Either option though is much more affordable than your traditional phone service.

8. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I have heard the software messes with your PC and installs adware/spyware that is hard to get rid of, and that MJ won't work without it. Never used it myself tho.