1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Maine voters repeal gay-marriage law

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no idea what you mean.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The church.

Those who rely on the government to uphold Biblical principles have always been disappointed and will continue to be so if they continue to do so. Just look at ancient Israel which was the best chance there will ever be on this earth for a government to uphold Biblical principles - and it failed miserably to do so.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    All that relying on Caesar does is make marriage into a political football.

4. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Didn't the government get into the bedroom when it allowed Utah to become a state? They had to do away with polygamy to come into the states, if I recall my history correctly. Most governments that I know about have laws on the books about marriage and divorce.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In recent history, yes - and we see what has happened to the institution of marriage in the last 100 years. Anything that government touches, it corrupts.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Which church? Episcopal, United Church of Christ, Unitarian? They all marry same sex couples.

Ken, your answer is totally implausible when you say "The church."

7. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I don't think it is new, we can go back to the Greeks and before and find government and marriage.
    I was taught that government was good till folks began getting and wanting things from the government, money, health care, things my way and so on. Man make government corrupt, go back to the railroad in the 1800's and many other things. When we try and turn laws or make laws in one's favor we are getting what we ask for, a corrupt government.

So many want something for nothing or some one else pays most of the bill.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just remember that by relying on the government to define what marriage is that you are condemning the institution of marriage to eventually include homosexual couples. The younger generation is not as adamantly against the idea as we older people are and eventually the younger generation will be in our place and be the ones doing most of the voting.

I don't trust government and I don't want it involved in defining personal relationships and I sure don't want the government deciding what marriage is or isn't.

If some church wants to recognize homosexual marriages, then let them. Just because they do doesn't mean I have to. But if the govenment recognizes homosexual marriages then we all end up doing so in various aspects of the law where marriage is regulated by the government. If the government recognizes homosexual marriages(as as I said it will do so eventually if it continues to the one to define it) then if you own a business and provide benefits to spouses then you will have to do so for homosexual couples. If it is a church or other private entity that recognizes homosexual marriages, then you don't have to go along with the idea as an employer.

#68 KenH, Nov 7, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.