1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Majority of US Baptist Denominations UNITING WITH ROME?

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by Jillian, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

There is nothing new here. Denominations have this kind of dialog all the time and little ever comes of it. Representatives of each group meet together many times over a period years, most often in nice hotels in exotic locations, and discuss their differences. They usually develop strong bonds of friendship with one another. When there is nothing left to talk about, they will come out with some kind of joint statement that talks about where they agree and where they disagree. Most of these statements make interesting reading but are of little real value. Here is a link to a statement by the Southern Baptists and the Roman Catholics that came out in 1989. http://www.usccb.org/seia/sbrctounderstandeachother1989.shtml

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Amen, my brother. :thumbs:

3. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think the dialog in itself is of value. Groups like Catholics and Protestants who have been at odds with each other to the extent of killing one another over differences for generations have many wounds to heal and many steps to take before meaningful agreement can be seen.

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Maybe your use of drawn by the Spirit is slightly different than my understanding of it.

2. Can a person be saved and still attend the Catholic church?

5. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Then I hope you are encouraging Jesus' plan for unity in the Church with those who you believe do not encourage the worship of idols.

6. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

2 Corinthians 6:15
    And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

2 Corinthians 6:16
    And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

2 Corinthians 6:17
    Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

2 Corinthians 6:18
    And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

Scripture tells Christians (and I don't believe Catholics are Christians) not to yoke with unbelievers. We are commanded to be separate. Our unity is to be in the Spirit, not some false ecumenical unity. Certainly, we are to witness the Truth to Catholics--but not to "yoke" with them.

Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

Romans 16:18
    For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

7. Beth

Beth New Member

It is all about the atonement

I think it is important to understand the basic theology of the atonement.

When we accept Jesus Christ's sacrifice for our sins, we are completely forgiven. His crucifixion atoned completely for my sins (I'll speak personally here). Hebrews tells us that He was crucified once for the sins of all and is sitting presently at the right hand of the Father.

He cannot be crucified twice for us, He cannot be crucified weekly for us. He is crucified once for us. That suffering and death on the cross was completely sufficient to forgive all my sins...past, present and future.

This is not the same atonement offered in the Catholic Church.

You can even think of it this way...the Catholic Church is still in a sense under the Old Covenant.....could the sacrifices in the Old Covenant save anyone? No, they could not. The sacrificial system was a shadow and type, pointing to Christ.

Under the Old Covenant, if you sinned once, you would bring an offering to the levitical priest. He would sacrifice the bird or mammal and your sin would be covered. Sin again, bring the sacrifice again. And on and on.

This is the same in the Catholic Church. Confessionals are open on Saturday. You go into the confessional box and confess your sins for that week. The priest gives you a "penance"...usually to say so many prayers. Your sins are then covered by those prayers.

Christ is sacrificed each week at the mass (or daily, if you attend daily mass). The Catholic Church chooses to intepret the last supper as Christ saying He was going to always be offered each time bread is broken and wine offered. This is called transubstantiation...the bread becomes His body, the wine His blood.

Catholics believe they need to receive that communion host in order to continue to be saved. They have no assurance of faith.

Even after spending their lives giving something up for lent, going to confession, taking communion, each Catholic (except for the priest/bishop and Pope) knows that when they die, they will still have to spend time in a horrid place called purgatory. Why? So they suffer to atone for their sins. They just don't have a biblical atonement.

(The priest/bishop/Pope does not have to spend time in purgatory. According to the Catholic Catechism, these men are of the order of Melchizedek and, since they stand in place of Christ, they go right to heaven...never through purgatory.)

Anyone here can purchase the Catechism of the Catholic Church. We have and have studied it extensively. After reading the theology of the Catholic Church, you will understand why they do not accept Jesus' atonement. The Catholic Church must come into the New Covenant.

A person cannot be saved and continue to remain in the Catholic Church. Jesus promised He would send us the Spirit of Truth...the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit sanctifies us throughout our lives. He convicts us to our sins...we cannot remain in sin and be indwelt by the Holy Spirit. There is so much sin involved in remaining in the Catholic Church...the idolatry, the false atonement, the false priesthood, the praying to the dead (necromancy). I believe God at His Word...He sanctifies His children.

With the exception of Naaman, who begged for the prophet to understand why he would be going into a temple of Baal to aid his master, I do not believe there is one single example in Scripture where God left His people whom He calls...left them to continue in false religion. Our examples from Lot to Israel to the churches in Revelation appear to support God's desire for us to be separate from sin.

8. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For what purpose is this understanding ? There can be no unity between two opposing doctrines, without compromise, and compromise is frowned upon by the Word of God. Remember "be ye not unequally yoked with unbelievers" ?

We have no common witness with Roman Catholicism. That's just like saying we have a common witness with Mormonism, or with Islam, because we are all "worshipping the same God", which we are not.
    The call for unification was issued to those who are God's people, and have been called out as a local, visible group with complete autonomy from one another and resposibility only to the One True God. Check out the Roman Catholic church. Do they meet those criteria ?

It is unbelievable that anyone can be a true believer in Jesus Christ, and remain within a system that holds high such mortals as Mary next to Jesus Christ, calling her co-Redemptrix and Mediatrix in clear violation of what the Bible teaches about the Lord. I think that God has His children in any theological system but I also believe that once they hear sound teaching they will leave that system and join themselves to others of like faith. The same goes for God's elect children who grew up under Islam, or JW, or Mormonism, or even communism.
    When they hear the effectual call of the Spirit upon regeneration, they will become restless and leave the false system they are in and look for sound teaching.

And I speak from experience and observation.
    I was born, bred, and raised a Roman Catholic, went to school most of my childhood and adult life in Roman Catholic schools.
    I have also seen Roman Catholics who suddenly rebelled against idolatry, papal authority, and the likes, and leave the Roman Catholic system and look for other teachings.
    Most of them became Baptists, some went to other teachings.

9. standingfirminChrist

2 Corinthians 6:14-18 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

10. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Peace, Peace-- there is no Peace

"...when they shall say peace and safety, then shall come sudden destruction."

The Prince of Peace said: "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household..."

Will our religion pass the paradigm of Mt. Ch. 10?

Ecumenism is alive and well. Dec. 25 is a good example.

Behold the Bridegroom cometh.

Even so, come Lord Jesus.

Selah,

Bro. James

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The title is misleading (and totally erroneous).

The majority of Baptists are not in any way/shape/form uniting with Rome. Either in number of groups, or in number of members that are Baptist.

Now, that ANY who would claim fidelity to Baptist distinctives would rush to Rome is sickening. They are polar opposites in doctrine and practice, and I cannot imagine such direction.

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Johann von Staupitz and Martin Luther were and did.

Ed

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Welcome to the Baptist Board to both Jillian and Beth.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BTW, Jillian, I actually referenced you once, although not by name, when I saw you were 'lurking' and on-line, but had never made a post, up until that time, so your welcome is actually quite a bit belated.

Ed

14. Jillian

Jillian New Member

Thank you Amy, I am glad to meet acouple people here who are not deceived by Rome's plans for antichrist unity.

I bet that one thing these folks hold in common who DO want to join with Rome is a dismissal of Gods prophecy in His Word.

15. Jillian

Jillian New Member

You are not that far off.

Actually if the priest gets ONE word wrong of what they consider the necessary words, the wafer supposely by Catholic teaching is NOT "confected" {changed into "jesus"}

This is basically witchcraft.

16. Jillian

Jillian New Member

Why would you name yourself DRAGON? One thing on line is I have learned a certain sort of person does mark themselves.

Why would ANY CHRiSTIAN name themselves DRAGON?

Rome teaches another gospel, the apostles taught this about those who teach another gospel:

Gal 1:6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

17. Jillian

Jillian New Member

Amen! to that.

The Papacy today is led by the demon {not the real Mary whatsoever} of the apparitions. This demon also supports the one world religion and false unity.

Read this book:

[​IMG]

The Marian Apparitions' Plan calls for this "miracle" to unite all religions under the umbrella of the Roman Catholic Church! These Marian Apparitions are REAL -- they are demons masquerading as the Virgin Mary so men and women the world over will worship her rather than Jesus

But, most insidiously, demons are masquerading in other major world religions, appearing as apparitions of the primary Goddess of that religion -- from Hinduism to Buddhism. Therefore, the Marian Apparitions are appealing to Hindus and Buddhists, thus uniting these religions under Rome.

The authors of this critically important book ask these questions: 1) Who is the "Queen" of Revelation 18? 2) Who is the "Lady of Kingdoms" referred to in Isaiah 47:5? You may be shocked to realize that the Catholic Virgin Mary is just a reincarnation of this Chaldean "Lady of Kingdoms". It is time to uncover this mystery, expose the identity and agenda of the "Queen", and realize her prophetic place in Scripture.

140 pages, paperback

Ill be blunt YOU "BAPTISTs" who support this UNITY WITH ROME ARE SUPPORTING SATAN'S PLANS!

18. Jillian

Jillian New Member

What Orthodoxy and Orthopraxy is THAT?

To get Baptists to WORSHIP IDOLS?

[​IMG]

any of you wannabe Romanists know why their monstrances look like ray's of the sun?

To get Baptists to bow before a man that considers himself INFALLIBLE {Yes I know its only for their doctrines at rare occasions} and the VICAR OF CHRIST?

If the REFORMERS werent in heaven, I would say they would be SPINNING IN THEIR GRAVES to see such sold out ANABAPTISTS that they were bowing before THIS:

[​IMG]

19. Jillian

Jillian New Member

Hmm more deception by the poster that has named himself DRAGON.

{Baptists have some discernment here, and know some folks always MARK themselves}

For Baptists who THINK the POPE is on THEIR SIDE:

{THEY CONSIDER REAL CHRISTIANS THREATS}

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,312650,00.html

20. Jillian

Jillian New Member

No, and if they STAY {and yes I know of this happening in a case where the lady was too afraid to leave because of husband} they are disobeying the commands of the Holy Spirit. She knew she was disobeying God to COME OUT OF HER.

I left Rome a few weeks after being saved.