1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured "Make your calling and election sure"....Huh?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by AndThisGospel, Feb 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

2 Peter 1:5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith virtue; and to virtue, knowledge; 6 and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; 7and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. 8 For if you possess these qualities and continue to grow in them, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 But whoever lacks these traits is nearsighted to the point of blindness, having forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins.

10 Therefore, brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you practice these things you will never stumble, 11 and you will receive a lavish reception into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Sounds like it is not a done deal without my consent...

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seeming does not make it so. Scripture looks to a salvation that is completed, a faith that endures, because it is "according to His great mercy" that God has "caused us to be born again to a living hope" "to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled." "protected by the power of God", "obtaining as the outcome of your faith the salvation of your souls."

You are comparing apples to oranges, holding to a different definition of what it means to be "saved". Of course it seems to you that salvation can be lost. You are looking at the heart of men, which Scripture describes as deceitful and wicked. In Matthew Jesus gives a warning that should cause a fear: many will come, on "that day", who have taught, preached, cast out demons, performed signs, and participated in the ministry of the Kingdom of God. These emphatically acknowledge Jesus as Lord and God has used them for His purposes. Yet, they were never known by Christ. They were never "in Christ", although they seem to have thought they were. Examine your life. Is your faith one that endures? Has God "through His great mercies...caused [you] to be born again to a living hope" or are you "born again" through your own religious experience and convictions? Do you have a faith that is "protected by the power of God...obtaining as the outcome of your faith the salvation of your soul" or do you have a faith that is dependent on your works and your will?

I do not believe that there are many Calvinist on this board who would not agree, if they held your conviction of what salvation means, that this salvation can be lost. Likewise, when Scripture looks at that final salvation "obtained" as the outcome of our faith, I doubt many Arminians would argue against this faith being salvific.

Put another way, you see a temporary salvation because you are looking at a temporary faith. Within that temporary faith there are people who have the faith to endure (God "through His great mercies caused [them] to be born again", "protected by the power of God" so as to obtain"as the outcome of their faith the salvation of [their] soul") and there are people who come into a knowledge, but never a true faith. And often (most of the time) Paul addresses the church in this manner (as a congregation, it is comprised of converted and unconverted believers). Calvinists, on the other hand, look to true salvation as one that endures. Scripture, while often addressing the congregation as potentially including those who will depart from the faith, typically speaks of salvation itself as the faith which endures. This is eternal life.

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not at all;
    Chapter 17: Of The Perseverance of the Saints
    1._____ Those whom God hath accepted in the beloved, effectually called and sanctified by his Spirit, and given the precious faith of his elect unto, can neither totally nor finally fall from the state of grace, but shall certainly persevere therein to the end, and be eternally saved, seeing the gifts and callings of God are without repentance, whence he still begets and nourisheth in them faith, repentance, love, joy, hope, and all the graces of the Spirit unto immortality; and though many storms and floods arise and beat against them, yet they shall never be able to take them off that foundation and rock which by faith they are fastened upon; notwithstanding, through unbelief and the temptations of Satan, the sensible sight of the light and love of God may for a time be clouded and obscured from them, yet he is still the same, and they shall be sure to be kept by the power of God unto salvation, where they shall enjoy their purchased possession, they being engraven upon the palm of his hands, and their names having been written in the book of life from all eternity.
    ( John 10:28, 29; Philippians 1:6; 2 Timothy 2:19; 1 John 2:19; Psalms 89:31, 32; 1 Corinthians 11:32; Malachi 3:6 )
    2._____ This perseverance of the saints depends not upon their own free will, but upon the immutability of the decree of election, flowing from the free and unchangeable love of God the Father, upon the efficacy of the merit and intercession of Jesus Christ and union with him, the oath of God, the abiding of his Spirit, and the seed of God within them, and the nature of the covenant of grace; from all which ariseth also the certainty and infallibility thereof.
    ( Romans 8:30 Romans 9:11, 16; Romans 5:9, 10; John 14:19; Hebrews 6:17, 18; 1 John 3:9; Jeremiah 32:40 )

3._____ And though they may, through the temptation of Satan and of the world, the prevalency of corruption remaining in them, and the neglect of means of their preservation, fall into grievous sins, and for a time continue therein, whereby they incur God's displeasure and grieve his Holy Spirit, come to have their graces and comforts impaired, have their hearts hardened, and their consciences wounded, hurt and scandalize others, and bring temporal judgments upon themselves, yet shall they renew their repentance and be preserved through faith in Christ Jesus to the end.
    ( Matthew 26:70, 72, 74; Isaiah 64:5, 9; Ephesians 4:30; Psalms 51:10, 12; Psalms 32:3, 4; 2 Samuel 12:14; Luke 22:32, 61, 62 )

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not understand why this doctrine seems so difficult for you to understand. We must "run the race" and "endure". No one denies that. But Peter clearly presents there as being a faith that obtains the outcome of "the salvation of our souls", and Paul clearly teaches that there is a faith that "endures", and John teaches that there is a faith that "perseveres", and Jesus teaches that there is a faith that results in everlasting life.

It is impossible for a man to have a faith that endures unto the end, yet also have a faith that does not endure to the end. Your logic is flawed, therefore you need to rethink your position.

• Like Like x 2
  5. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

Yes there has to be "a faith that endures", but then others have and can give up that faith and return to the world. Why? Because God doesn't force anyone to remain in His hand. Who are you kidding? That's why we have the warnings not to turn back.

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that God doesn't force anyone to "remain in His hand". Belief does not work that way (if you are shown the truth of something, then you believe it because you know it to be true....you may not like it, you may not want it, but you believe it). This is why we are told to make sure we have a faith that endures. As John stated (and you deny), those who left the us were among us, but never truly a part of us.

More to the point - Faith that endures is faith that endures, not faith that does not endure.

Your post is, ultimately, nonsense. If you believe otherwise, then please explain:

If I have a faith that endures unto the end, but my faith does not endure to the end, then how did I have a faith that endured unto the end?

7. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

If you think that God is going to do the trusting and believing for you while you sit back on your [Crude language edited] doing nothing you will be outside the gates of the city of God. The warnings are there, not for kicks and grins, but because you have a nature that can forsake the Lord, your redeemer.

Speaking of nonsense...

#8 AndThisGospel, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2017
  8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand that you have been cornered (you made a statement that was not logical, you cannot defend that logic). We’ve all be there at times. I will, however, caution you not to simply strike out (although this is the typical response, we’ve all done this at some point as well). You , not I, are the one who stated that there is an "enduring faith" that in fact does not endure. And yes, that is nonsense.

People can choose a faith and walk away from that faith, I agree:

You are right that there are some people who hold a Christian faith that they can abandon at any given moment. What holds them in “God’s hand” is their decision to believe. I am saying that these people are not in God’s hand, they do not believe in terms of what Scripture calls a “faith that endures”.

I believe some theological positions out of choice (I’ve weighed the evidence and decided they were true….and they have changed over time). I believe a sports team the best. I follow authors, poets, actors, etc. along the same lines...choice.

And people choose religious beliefs. They choose to believe Scientology, Christianity, Mormonism, etc. And they remain in those faiths by their own choice. They can walk away anytime they decide. I agree with you.

BUT there is another type of believe. There is a faith that endures.

I chose my spouse. I did not choose to believe that we were married. I did not choose to believe I was born, that my parents were my parents, that I belonged to my family. I did not choose to believe fire is hot, ice is cold, and the reality of gravity. These things have been revealed by experience to be true. I cannot choose to disbelieve them.

And, while I did choose repentance and belief (I believe by the drawing of the Spirit), I did not choose to believe what was revealed to me as truth. This type of belief simply does not work that way.

The Warning and Your Idea of Belief

You illustrate a tragic truth. Some people believe in Christ with a faith that they can walk away from at any given time. They believe with all of their minds, and maybe with all of their will, but not with all of their heart and being. The truth of the gospel has not been revealed to them, and they do not have a faith that endures. It may last until they die, but it does not endure until the end because it is lost in the refining. Jesus does not know them. They are there by choice and they can walk away.

But there are some people who, having believed, possess a faith that will endure. The gospel has been revealed to them as true. They have been “converted”, not outwardly but spiritually in a way that they cannot…even if it was their desire (an oxymoron)…deny the truth of it. These are “born again”.

My heart breaks for those who are truly lost, who remain in the faith out of their own choice and desire, but who will hear, on that day, those horrible words “I never knew you”. I am not talking about those, like you, who hold a confused doctrine but those who truly remain what they see as “in Christ” by the power of their own choice. These live their lives dedicated to the religion of Christ, but never know Him out of the hardness of their own hearts. They will not believe with an enduring faith because they will not humble themselves, they will not surrender, they will not give up their choice to disbelieve by turning to the One who will reveal to them the Truth that can’t be denied or proven false.

9. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

Faith is not just a past tense experience. Faith is a past, present and future tense experience. This is "an enduring faith." Those who, at whatever cost, "hold the beginning of [their] confidence steadfast to the end" [Heb 3:14] will be saved, but if "anyone draws back, [God's] soul has no pleasure in him.” [Heb 10:38]

Therefore we are once saved, always saved, if our faith endures to the end.

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If salvation is based on your consent, then Ephesians 2:8-9 is false.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

Salvation, from the curse of the law, was made effective "in Christ Jesus" about 2000 years ago. I can only "consent" to make it effective in my life. That consent is called "faith". Got it?

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No, I don't "got it" because I don't see one Scripture verse anywhere that says that consent is called faith.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. AndThisGospel

AndThisGospel Member

Semantics....

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No, we are talking about something quite important. If you stand on a doctrine, it must be able to be supported. So show me where consent = faith.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God seals us with the Spirit, so the ONLY one that could undo that would be superior to God!

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ONLY thes aved are reconciled back to God, as Jesus did for His elect, not corporate humanity, correct?

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God saved me based upon His will and power, so God can save me, but cannot keep me? Jesus is my high priest, and he lost NONE that He saved, right?

Roman 8 pretty sure that which God started, He will finish!

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds mor elik Peter asking us to make sure that we are saved.... And once saved, that ewill hav aundant eternal reward!

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. If we have the type of faith that is of God, the power of the gospel revealed to us as truth, then we will be saved. It is that type of faith. All other forms of "belief" fall short.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.