1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Making disciples and Baptizing sinners.. Or preaching?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Nov 1, 2013.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a difficulty in the Bible that needs to be explained. Mark 16 says to go out and preach to all of creation, however Matt 28 says to go out and make disciples of all nations (ESV/NIV). The KJV says to teach all nations however. David Platt and Francis Chan have written books on this type of evangelism and in some of their comments in their books have undermined those that do open air preaching and pass out tracts which does not get visible results. Platt & Chan are what MacArthur would call "New Calvinists" or the Young, Restless, and Reformed" if I remember correctly.

I explain this difficulty in that people have different gifts and are to use them differently. Some do better on the streets doing evangelism, and others do better in a YMCA, rescue Mission, or such a center where they can make disciples. At BJU they had different ministries and geared for different people. I did not fit in well with discipleship type ministries, but fit in far better with street evangelism type ministries. So I think that both Mark 16 & Matt 28 are correct, but just given for different people. What do you say? If one can make disciples on the streets then this is good. However in today's day many do not openly repent of their ways, and its not common in america. Its more common in third world countries where people hunger for the gospel.

#1 evangelist6589, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2013
  2. clark thompson

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God has given us gifts for a reason, I am better with discipleship than evangelism but this does not mean I don't do evangelism work but, does mean I support those who do by going with them and I am to focus on discipleship more than evangelism which I do.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pitting one against the other is theologically incorrect. The commandment is to preach the gospel and make disciples out of those who you convert.

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Its not either/or but neither is it both/and.

Its very important that you understand this.

It is one in order to accomplish the other.

Street preaching, like everything else that we ever do for the Kingdom ought to be designed to MAKE DISCIPLES of the nations.

Offerings are given to make disciples of the nations.

Outreach exists to make disciples of the nations.

Preaching exists to make disciples of the nations.

Soul Winning exists to make disciples of the nations.

Bible study exists to make disciples of the nations.

Sunday School exists to make disciples of the nations.

The songs we sing ought to make disciples of the nations.

Our time ought to be spent seeking to make disciples of the nations.

Out talents were given us in order to make disciples of the nations.

The primary way to worship God is to make disciples of the nations.