1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Making disciples

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Aug 18, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a guy at church whom was open to reading and reasoning with me. He seemed more interested in what the Bible really said and not as consumed with church tradition. God placed us together for the men's retreat back in May, I gave him an evangelism book and he has read most of it, and know he wants to do street evangelism with me and we plan to go soon. Also he seemed interested in becoming a good husband and I mentioned a book by Stuart Scott I am using at the local Calvinist church and he wants to get. Copy. It's amazing How God works with those that have a open mind and are serious about what the Bible says on an issue over what a church tradition says. All these authors do is systematize and teach scripture and make it easy to understand. Eventually when the time is right I may give him a copy of Follow Me which heavily emphasizes Lordship but in an easy to read language understandable to anyone.

Have you made many disciples and how did it go?

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have made disciples and sometimes it goes well and they stick around. Other times they get discouraged or distracted by the world and drop off. Primarily disciple making goes along side soul-winning. It is in direct conflict with scripture and disobedient to God to lead people to the Lord and not follow that with discipling them. Both soul-winning and discipling are the primary aspects of the Great Commission.

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Knew a young man (16-years old at the time); he was obviously a leader among the teens, even if they didn't officially recognize him as such. Got him to start teaching the youth group Sunday School lesson once in a while; had him go with me out on visitations. Then he went out on his own down to the basketball court in the "rough part of town", and would read tracts to the other players in between pick-up games.

Good kid. Has had his share of tragedies since I left that area. I pray for him.

4. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

This discussion reminds me of a story that has been attributed to Dwight L. Moody, the well-known evangelist of the late 1800's.

Seems that Moody was approached by someone on the street who told him that he'd seen one of Moody's converts staggering out from a bar room with booze on his breath and later on was found lying in a gutter in a drunken stupor.

Moody's reply: "Yes sir, that probably was one of my converts.....He certainly wasn't one of Jesus's converts!"

5. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yup.

Jn 10:27
    27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: