1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Making Halloween Safe and Fun for Kids with Diabetes

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by HOHNancy, Oct 17, 2004.

1. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you justify seperating yourself from children that do not know any better? They still need to hear the Gospel of Jesus Christ. And if not from you, then from who?

2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think the issue is more about whether we let OUR children participate. For me, and I suspect for Sheila too, as Christians, the answer has to be no

Yours in Christ

Matt

3. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

We don't practice these, just like people who celebrate Easter don't participate in the Easter Bunny. Having a festaval to celebrate harvest is a way to honor Christ. It is a time for fun and fellowship. You could say we do this at Thanksgiving, but that is an all inclusive giving of thanks. My children dress up on other days to play, why tell them they can't do it on this one because others do it in a bad way.

4. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I certainly respect that. You have to do what you need to to protect your kids.

That being said, what do we do for those kids whose parents do let them participate? It seems as if many in the church would rather treat the children as ananthema rather than do what they can to reach out to them. I think that is wrong. Jesus told the disciples to let the children come to Him. Should we not reach out to as many as we can?

5. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

TC,

In the first instance I think it is the parents who need to be our focal point because they are the ones who are prepared to let their children out in public to participate in these satanic activities.

Maybe you could explain to me and other readers the difference between trick and treat and extortion with menaces (apart from the participation of some of the "victims", who should know better)?

As for reaching children or anyone for that matter with the Gospel, halloween is sending very mixed messages to the children and those who don't know any different.

Sheila

6. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

I don't think any lost person I know is getting a mixed message.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ask a kid sometime what halloween is all about. For most it is a time to get candy and have fun. They don't make the kind of connection that many adults suggest.

8. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How are you going to get to meet the parents if you treat their kids as if they do not exist? Chances are that you will only see some of these people on this one night of the year. And God can use a Gospel tract given to a child to reach a parent. Nothing is impossible for God.

Did not Jesus say to give to those who ask? If my neighbor asks for bread, I will not give him a stone - irregardless of whether or not I think it was right for him to ask in the first place.

9. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

And I don't think it's a connection many adults make either. This is why I don't think they are getting mixed messages, I think the mixed messages come when we make a big deal out of pagan origins of one thing ( Halloween) and ignore the pagan origin of another and say it's alright because we 'changed it' into something we can use.( Easter). I think the bickering sais " World be damned, we will do what we like and you do what you like. But you are always wrong and we are ok". That is a mixed message.

10. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True also of the names of the days of the week and the names of the months of the year. How many Halloween haters use them without question. If they wanted to be consistant, should they not invent some other system to mark time?

11. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

Other good points TC

12. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

This thread was originally posted to give information on meeting the needs of special needs children, not a debate on the validity of Halloween. I apreciate what the original poster had in mind. For all those who are concerned with this matter, I thank you [​IMG]

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

We can stretch this stuff like a rubber band. For example when I lived in Texas a woman told me she would not shop at a particualr store because they sold goosebumps magazines. I didn't even know what they were. So I had to ask. But then I asked her if she liked contributing to the economy of a few Islamic nations? She looked offened. I asked her if she bought gas for her car. Then I asked if she shared the gospel with people and was discipling someone. If not that too is wrong.

We must spend our time majoring on the majors and minoring on the minors. I have seen parents tell the kids what their personal convictions are by a checklist of do's and don'ts. Then when their child gets older they go the other way saying they have had enough religiosu nonsense. You might win the short term battle and lose the war. But its the war we want to help them win. We must teach them to wrestle with God.

When my daughter ask a question I try to steer her to think about what scripture teaches not always what my convictions are. So we have a lot of discussion rather than a short answer from me.

We need to teach our children not only what is right and wrong from scripture but to also seek God and to seek Him for wisdom. As parents we will not be there very long. We must stir up in them an intense desire to grow.

When I look at the gospels the only time see Jesus condemning anyone is the Pharisees. I can't think of many times where He spent talking about the world but about following Him. We can spend our time talking about how the world is so bad or we can spend it praying for people and talking about how we can reach them for Jesus.

I have seeen people so shackled by fear that they are unable to share the gospel with people because they are so afraid of being taken in. If that is all the faith you have them it is minute and almost non-existent. Acts 1:8 certainly teaches very different than fear. Also perfect love casts out all fear.

14. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Could someone answer Sheila's question as to what the difference is between trick or treating and demanding monies with menaces. Round here, there are old ladies living in fear and dread of the end of the month because they're going to get some kids coming round dressed like extras from 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' demanding sweets with the threat that if the old ladies don't capitulate they will get a dead rat, flour and eggs and/ or a firework through their mailbox. Does that sound moral and Christian to you?

Yours in Christ

Matt

15. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

I could see the problem. Fortunately we don't get much of that around here.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

Never heard of sucha thing, so thiankfully that kind of behavior isn't wide spread. Seems the problem is that the porch light needs to be turned off, if it is no one visits that house. When we lived in town we kept the porch light and living room light turned off so no one would isit our house for candy. Noone ever blew up our mailbox or flour and egged our house.

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

AMEN! and thank you. i've asked this before and no one ever has a suitable answer.

18. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Easy, asking is fine. While demanding and then engaging in criminal mischief is, well, criminal.

Another thing I see is that we tend to be shocked when the unrighteous act unrighteous. Why?

As for the OP, my sister is diabetic and it is good advice for everyday living. Thanks.

19. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

AMEN! and thank you. i've asked this before and no one ever has a suitable answer. </font>[/QUOTE]What do you do differently on Fridays than any other day? Do you put on a black robe on Saturdays and sacrifice kittens? Is Tuesday the day you set aside for worshipping idols?

20. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

I find it interesting that we compare a Satanic holiday (Halloween) to a Sacred holiday (Easter). Yes, both have their past rooted in paganism. However, only Halloween is still rooted in wickedness. Forget all of the past and just look at today. I drive down the street and see ghosts, goblins, witches, etc. decorated over the lawns. Go to walmart and you will find that the vast majority of the costumes are not cute little princesses, but wicked ugly witches. I don't support Easter egg hunts either, but there is no comparison to a present day holiday that is about the resurrection and a present day holiday that is about wickedness.