1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Making one income work for your family

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Joy, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Joy

Joy New Member

The only way that most lower to lower-middle class families can make it these days on one income (with mother in the home) is to live debt-free.

There are a few things you need to do to get started with debt relief.

Get rid of the credit cards.

Resist the temptation to use check advance services.

Make a list of all interest accruing debt from smallest to largest (or most interest) bills.

Make a list of all monthly utilities such as gas, electric, mortgage, rent, etc.

If you can live without the extras such as internet, cable, cell phones... get rid of them for a while.

Make arrangements with hospitals, clinics, and collections for the ammounts you can reasonably pay. As long as you are paying something every month, no legal action can be taken against you.

Start attacking your mountain by paying a little bit to everyone. As you pay off the smaller bills, add the money you were paying to the one paid off, to the next bill and on to the next. Soon, you will be paying more to the bigger bills and watch them go down faster. Keep in mind, the interest on those larger bills. Don't let it get ahead of you if you can.

2. Joy

Joy New Member

Learning to live within your means can be trying, but you know what they say about "if at first you don't succeed..." ;)

After you have eliminated debt, be sure to remain within a budget. If you need help with budgeting, see a good credit counsellor, or a trusted friend that can help with setting one up for you.

Learn to penny pinch if you must! If it makes you depressed, turn it into a game. Don't focus on where you have pinched, but on the amount you saved or how big the bargain was. You'll soon find yourself challenged to to find even better bargains! :D

3. the 'I AM' hath sent me

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joy2:
    Learning to live within your means can be trying, but you know what they say about "if at first you don't succeed..." ;)

After you have eliminated debt, be sure to remain within a budget. If you need help with budgeting, see a good credit counsellor, or a trusted friend that can help with setting one up for you.

Learn to penny pinch if you must! If it makes you depressed, turn it into a game. Don't focus on where you have pinched, but on the amount you saved or how big the bargain was. You'll soon find yourself challenged to to find even better bargains! :D
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for the advice. I am in the process of getting my bills straight. I am in a one income producing relationship. My wife baby sits my neice for a little money but not enough to pay the bills. So my income is supporting our family. We don't have any kids yet, but Lord willing we will. We are working on it. The Lord has blessed us so far with the ability to pay our bills and save a little, but sometimes, especially when we first got married it can be hard.
    But before we got married I told her I didn't want her to have to work, that she could work if she wanted to. So the Lord has blessed and provided for us.

Thanks for sharing that. It is real hard for a one income family now a days. But for the sake of the family, I think it is for the better.

God Bless you,
    Kenneth