Malachi 1:1-5

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by NateT, Nov 16, 2003.

1. NateT

NateT
    Expand Collapse

I've been looking at these verses the past couple of weeks. I looked up the verse that says "I have loved Jacob, but I have hated Esau." My first inclination was to question if that really meant "hate" or not. I looked it up on some Bible software and it said that it meant hate, to be an enemy of, odious. So I took it to mean that it really did mean hate.

However, when I looked it up in a couple commentaries (Jamison Fauset Brown, and Bible Knowledge) they both said that it should really be read that I have chosen Jacob but not Esau.

I can see that, especially in line with the Genesis account and with Paul's comments in Romans.

My question is to those of you who might know better. Does it really mean hate or does it mean rejected (not chosen) additionally, how are we to know that is what it means. Is it something in the Hebrew that tells us that it doesn't really mean hate?

Additionally, in chapter 2 when it says that God hates divorce does it mean he really hates it, or does it mean he rejects divorce?

Thanks for any help that you might provide.

2. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

How would being "not chosen" be less severe than "hated"? The Lord went on to describe exactly what He meant:

"The people against whom the Lord hath indignation forever."

Mark Osgatharp

3. NateT

NateT
    Expand Collapse

Well first off, something can be not chosen but also not hated.

Secondly, indignation doesn't mean hatred. It means anger in response to an unjust act. I think indignation tends to focus more on the cause.

Does anyone else have any input on this? Do these passages mean "hate" or "Not chosen" and if they mean "not chosen" does God mean He hates divorce when He says it later on in Malachi, or does He mean He chooses against divorce?

4. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Nate,

You said,

By contrast the Lord said,

He then explained what He meant by saying,

Mark Osgatharp