1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mall Madness

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Oldtimer, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

This morning I've been watching some of the news about stores opening for Black Friday madness.

To see those greedy mobs, some who have camped out on sidewalks for days, is a good indicator of where society is today. Fighting over places in line. Fighting over "stuff". Especially entertainment "stuff".

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, another good holiday ruined by materialism.

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

And yet there were dozens of places where there was no madness, which received no media coverage. Blame the media for emphasizing the craziness instead of the sane.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Each person has a different perspective, but IMO, the stupidest person on earth is the one standing in line for hours or even days in some cases to purchase some kind of device. I cannot think of one object on this earth worth the effort. My goal in life is to stay away from places like malls and Walmart.

5. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's go out after we spend the day celebrating our thankfulness and exhibit the exact opposite attitude

6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm a conservative but I would be in favor of more government regulation of the marketplace. If they were to pass a law banning most retail stores from being open on Thanksgiving Thursday, I would support it. With stores now opening on Thanksgiving evening, even Thanksgiving afternoons, it means that some people will miss Thankgiving dinner with their families to stand in line to buy something. That's so wrong.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Conservatives do not want to ban people from making personal choices.

8. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about these?

Abortion
    Gay marriage
    Prostitution
    Legalization of drugs
    Alcohol sales on Sundays

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes that is the same thing.:rolleyes:

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I find it sad that the majority of people even feel the need to make Thanksgiving about materialism. I saw on the news the other day a woman who was sitting outside Best Buy since Monday to get a 50" TV. She was missing Thanksgiving to save a few hundred dollars.

We have an old, HUGE box 25" TV as our biggest TV. I need to have a big table to hold it and I'd love to have a flat screen instead - and one that is bigger. But do I need it? Nah. I really don't. So I will wait until this TV dies a natural death before I even think of finding something else. Even then, we will have to see if it's worth getting another TV since there really isn't much redeeming on the tube anyway. :)

11. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Neither Janice nor I will be found anywhere close to the mall today.

That said, I'd like to offer a contrarian opinion to the viewing with alarm over Black Friday.

I am saddened by the behavior I'm seeing reported around the country. It seems to have coarsened over the years.

But here in Paducah, we've not heard of any of that kind of stuff. For those who waited for hours in line, this is an adventure. It's fun.

And it is capitalism at its finest. These are willing buyers and willing sellers. It is economic activity for which we should be grateful given the state of our economy over the past few years.

The willing buyers have calculated the cost in time and energy required to buy something at a much lower cost that they would have to pay tomorrow, or two days ago. The sellers have calculated what it will take to induce those buyers to pay their asking price.

Also, keep in mind, that the economic activity between now and Christmas will make or break many businesses.

It is unseemly to me to criticize businesses for doing what they think they need to do to to make a profit; and then to criticize buyers for buying. We have to keep in mind that the primary reason businesses exist is to make a profit.

And ask those who have been without jobs, but now can work through the holiday season to earn a little money which they prefer.

Haven't we been having Black Friday for years? When did it suddenly become evidence of a materialistic culture?

Stores have sales. People wait for those sales to buy stuff for less. What in the world is wrong with that?

The fact that some folks act like Cretins is a separate issue altogether.

On Thanksgiving day, more than two dozen agencies and organizations offered free Thanksgiving dinner to anybody who came. Where did that food come from? Who paid for it? Who prepared it? Who donated money and foodstuffs? the question answers itself. None of it came from people who didn't have jobs; none of it came from poor people; none of it came from businesses who are losing money.

I rest my case.

12. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The LAST thing we need is gov't regulations involving Black Friday. Sheeshhh.

13. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

In today's paper there is a full-page ad for a supermarket we patronize. Janice will make a list of stuff we need . Or simply want, even though we don't need it.

At at the bottom of the sales receipt will be a line which says "You saved $______."

We might even have a coupon or two.

Is this materialistic?

That would seem to me to be a responsible stewardship of the money God has given us.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife and I do not go out on BF. Not because of a fear of materialism but because we do not see the value in dealing with the crowds. Add to that the fact that online shopping has black Friday deals as well.

Regardless of the reasons people do or do not go out on this day of the year what we can be sure of is when the first response to the difficulties of this day is to regulate via government force then conservatism has been thrown out the window.

15. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you read my post I'm not suggesting regulations for Black Friday. I'm suggesting regulation on business activities on Thanksgiving.

16. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ok the last thing we need is gov't regulations on business activities on Thanksgiving. We do not need any more gov't regulations in any area of life. Silliness

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

First of all, we all know you will never rest your case, LOL. For me, Black Friday is not a matter of alarm, or government regulation, it is a matter of it being an obnoxious experience. I have no desire to be in the middle of a rude, demanding public.

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I agree. As I said above, I do not want to be anywhere near today's self centered rapid public. I am ordering what I have to online and watching James Bond movies.

19. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know where you live but surely they have "Blue Laws" there. For example, can you buy off-sale alcohol 24/7? Here in Minnesota you can't buy off-sale alcohol on Sundays. Also you can't buy automobiles on Sunday.

Why is "the last thing we need is gov't regulations on business activities on Thanksgiving"?

It's an indirect way of fostering family values. You have people that will skip gathering with their families on Thanksgiving because they are coveting some new gadget or HDTV. "Sorry Gramma, not coming to your Thanksgiving dinner because I have to get a 40" HDTV for $299."

20. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL. Me too! Funny.