1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Man head of house?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Oct 13, 2013.

?
  1. Yes, the man ought to be head of the house

22 vote(s)
    88.0%
  2. No, the woman should have as much authority as he has

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Does the Bible teach that the man should be the head of the house? Why or why not?

#1 Luke2427, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2013
  2. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

That would depend upon how you define 'head of the house' and 'authority.'

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

OKAY, in any MEANINGFUL SENSE...

Is there ANY SENSE in which the man ought to be the head of the house?

4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Yes....1 Cor. 11 for starters......

5. Skandelon

Yes, in the sense that the 'head' is the 'greatest' and in God's order of things, the 'greatest is the least'...the one who submits himself to serve and give himself, even his own life if needed, to the benefit and well being of the others.

If by 'authority,' you mean, 'the one who calls the shots,' then no. But, if by 'authority' you mean, the one who is responsible to take the initiative in serving and bringing peace, consensus as a servant leader, then yes.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, the woman calls the shots?

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Make mine a double....oops.....wrong thread....:D

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you want that with olives?

9. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    'zactly. :thumbs:

10. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

And the "head" of the house for a single woman who lives alone is......?

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

I run everything in my house, the vacuum cleaner, the washing machine, the dishwasher... :laugh:

12. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Nobody over her but G-d. It's not as nice as it sounds when you're talking about making big decisions and having the final say in it all. It sort of is, don't get me wrong, but having someone else go to when you aren't sure and need a final decision is pretty awesome. It takes a lot of pressure off, and we're less emotional when we're under less pressure. (yeah, I know a bunch of women will disagree but you know deep down it's true)

13. Skandelon

No. I wouldn't say that either one of us 'call the shots.' I'd say my wife and I make decisions together under the authority of Christ. The concept of "authority" is often misunderstood in marriage, in my experience.

14. DocTrinsoGrace

DocTrinsoGrace New Member

Marriage is God's picture of the relationship of Christ to His Church (Ephesians 5:22-33). Read in this passage how the husband is to portray Christ and read how the wife is to portray the Church. We teach the Word in all that we do and say.

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, you never, ever ever ever ever disagree. Neither ever ever ever ever ever ever has to yield in anything whatsoever.

1 Peter 3:1-6.

Tell us how we are misunderstanding the concept of authority.

16. Skandelon

I didn't say that. Sometimes I think you just disagree because I'm the one who said it and not because you actually disagree with what is said.

'Calling the shots' is phrase implying a more 'ruling' approach rather than a servant leadership approach. That is all I was meaning. I believe if you were a bit more objective concerning your feelings toward me you may have better seen that as my intent.

I never accused you or anyone here of misunderstanding the concept of authority. I said that it has been my experience that many do abuse and misapply the concepts of what they think is biblical authority and male headship.

Regarding the passage I believe the phrase, "Husbands, in the same way.." indicate dual submission. In fact, given that the greatest is the least in God's economy I'd suggest that men are called to a greater level of submission than is the woman in this passage. A call to submission is a call to greatness and Christlike leadership in God's kingdom.

17. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Jesus is the head of my household.

If there is a man who is able to get in between my and Jesus, go for it and call the shots.

18. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

See? A man who truly knows how to keep things running. :thumbs:

"Calling the shots" implies the husband has a nasty attitude about it.
    That wouldn't go over well in any marriage.
    Some of the most admirable men I know are the quiet, calm ones. They seem so gentle, come off almost as weak to those who do not know them, yet they possess such great strength that you marvel when you do get to know them.
    They are the quiet leaders, the ones who simply do what needs to be done and are humble about it. They do not need to "call the shots," but their wives and children naturally have no reason to not want to love and respect them.
    There's definitely a right way laid out in scripture to go about it.
    Spiritual leadership seems an odd place to "call the shots" anyhow. LOL Seems a bit counterproductive. Gonna hold the wife and kiddos down and thump 'em with a black leather Bible until they agree with everything? :laugh:
    How about encouraging prayer, stirring up enthusiasm for showing love to others, getting them interesting in studying out some things or looking up some archaeological sites where biblical events happened? That might be more along the lines of spiritual leadership than "WOMAN! Fetch me my slippers!"

19. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yes, that's what Skandelon's advocating- with the rest of culture.

20. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

False dichotomy.

You assume that because he is to "serve" his wife that he is not supposed to, as you say, "call the shots."

My brain surgeon serves me by telling me what I ought to do. He serves me by ensuring that I submit myself to his care.

You have made the authority of the man absolutely NOTHING.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.