1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Man left to himself?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by 4study, Aug 31, 2005.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Let me ask a pointed question. You have probably seen what is happening in New Orleans in the hurricane's aftermath. Pick a looter - in what way is God influencing that person's actions? God could prevent every bit of that nonsense, and yet He doesn't. How is His influence at work in people like those?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

God SHOWS what His influence is from PAGE 1 !!

God speaks to the murdering plans/thoughts/anger of Cain BEFORE he murders and tells him to "resist the devil and he will flee from you" (in essence).

It is not a question of "IS God powerful enough to kill Cain before Cain kills Abel"!

IT is NOT a question of "IS God POWERFUL enough to kill Adam before Adam sins"

It is NOT a question of "IS God POWERFUL enough to stop Eve from sinning when GOD OWNS Eden"!!

It is NOT a question of POWER! Or of MAKING robots do or not do something.

It is the totally foreign concept to Calvinists - called "Free Will".

IN Christ,

Bob

2. 4study

4study New Member

BobRyan,

You make some good points.

I'd like to think I'm fairly educated on the Arminian vs. Calvinism debate. I'm very familiar with both sides.

I don't consider myself either a Calvinist or an Arminian so there are certain terms like "choice" that are difficult for me to explain. Like "free will" for instance is not a term I use. I don't believe in it. Yet at the same time, I don't believe in "total depravity".

I agree that the very thought of discussing such things is a great undertaking no matter how hard we try to make ourselves understood. But sometimes I enjoy the challenge and attempt it anyway.