1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mandatory HPV vaccination in Texas

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Lacy Evans, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The target is girls (10-23 or there abouts) because once you are sexually active, you have a good chance of already having been exposed. The vaccine won't do you any good then.

Anyone can take the vaccine who wants to whether they are 17 or 77, I suppose.

The assumption is that grown women are already sexually active. Grown women who have had more than one sexual partner may already have HPV. Grown women who have had only one sexual partner may need to evaluate their partner's sexual history as to whether or not they take it.

But once again, this vaccine wasn't meant for those who already have a sexual history.

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

40% of the sexually active women do not have the disease.

By inoculating all the women . . . if indeed the innoculation works . . . and if indeed this disease is a threat. . . then you are much more likely to save lives and prevent the spread of the disease.

If we are not going to innoculate the 60% of women that are currently at risk, then why innoculate the children that will not be at risk of dying for 15 to 45 years.

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

In controlling an epidemic the target is those that will transmit the disease that DO NOT HAVE IT YET and would be at risk of TRANSMITTING the disease.

Vaccinating 1,000 girls versus 1,000 women will show drastic differences in disease control. Of the 1,000 girls less than 200 will be expected to be sexually active in the next 5 years.

Of the 1,000 women, more than 600 can be expected to be sexually active in the next 5 years.

Of the 200 girls . . . 120 would be at heightened risk of catching the disease . . .

Of the 600 . . . 240 can be expected to not have the disease yet. 60% of those will catch the disease . . . at least 144 would catch the disease . . .

Someone is less concerned with controlling the disease then they are with vaccinating girls with a vaccination that may put them at long term risk when they are not even sexually active yet.

4. Daisy

Daisy New Member

If it were about controlling the virus, boys would also get the vaccine. This is about controlling the effects of the virus - cervical cancer.

5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Daisy

They are just now testing the vaccine for boys.

So far the reason for the push is that they ARE ONLY testing young women.

http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/STDFact-HPV-vaccine.htm#hpvvac1

also

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

So, again why the smoke screens?

The target is GIRLS. The target has not been women.

Why?

Women are dying from this disease. Children at the age of 9?

This is scary.

And as for the numbers - 70% of cervical cancers are caused by the HPV strainS.

7. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As someone who had a hysterectomy due to this problem, I just have to give my two cents. Both my husband and I were virgins when we married and have only been with each other, yet the doctor diagnosed me with HPV and eventually had to perform surgery. We were devastated, trying to figure out how this had happened since the medical community insists you can only get HPV sexually.

I began talking with other women and found out that some had unmarried, still-virgin relatives with cervical cancer. More questions revealed that my mother was also diagnosed years ago, but she refused to believe it as she and my father were both virgins at marriage who have been faithful to each other.

My point is, there has to be another way HPV is transmitted. Maybe the doctors aren't cleaning their instruments well, maybe it is passed at birth, but I really believe that one day we will find out. That being said, my girls WILL NOT get the vaccine. If I can't believe my doctor about HPV being only transmitted sexually, I can't believe in this vaccine, either.

8. Daisy

Daisy New Member

HPV is not the only cause of cervical cancer, just the most common one.

It sounds like there is a genetic predispositon in your family.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

HPV is also a known factor in penile cancer. So men get cancer from it too.

10. patrioticcamerican

You might want to check out this site.
    http://www.mercola.com/article/vaccines/legally_avoid_shots.htm

11. patrioticcamerican

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I think that your doctor was just repeating the 'misinformation' that is so prevalent with this disease. And I can agree with your feelings.

13. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

HPV is transmitted by skin to skin contact. (So I hear)

They keep changing their story on how AIDS might be transmitted too. It seems like the "story" depends on what they happen to be peddling at the time. (Vaccines, condoms, etc.)

Lacy

14. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

So often, we hearing about diseases that 'so little is known about. I wonder if they really are that sloppy, or if they have an ulterior motive.

God knows . . .

How's church?

15. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Like herpes. Genital warts are in a rather specific area of skin that isn't - usually - casually contacted.

Actually not - bodily fluids such as blood and semen through an opening in the skin - has been the "story" since the early 90s.

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Lacy

They still scare me. The stories keep changing and they usually work on diseases for ulterior motives.

And they aren't really being honest on this one at all.

17. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Texas lawmakers vote on cancer vaccine

Texas lawmakers vote on cancer vaccine

18. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I am glad we at least have conservative lawmakers here, even if our Governor isn't.

HPV is not some wildly out of control epidemic, such as small pox, polio, measles, yellow fever, etc., etc. were.

There is no reason in the world this should be a mandatory injection, other than to reward the "health care" interests who gifted Governor Perry with campaign contributions before the '06 elections, which he won with barely 40% of the total vote.

Perry is about as popular here as President Bush is nationwide. In fact, I think Bush is more popular here now than Perry is.

Edited to say: I was right. In Texas as of this February, Bush has 47% approval, 50% disapproval, and 3% undecided, while Perry has 45% approval, 50% disapproval, and 5% undecided. Just barely different, but still different.

http://www.surveyusa.com/50StateTracking.html

#38 Bro. James Reed, Mar 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2007
  19. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

20. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Score one for the good guys...

Perry Won't Veto Virus Vaccinations Bill

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - Gov. Rick Perry on Tuesday said he won't veto a bill that would block state officials from following his order that all sixth-grade girls be vaccinated against a virus that causes cervical cancer.

The Republican governor accused the state legislators of politicizing the debate over his February executive order that required vaccinations against the human papillomavirus vaccine for girls starting in September 2008.

However, he acknowledged the Legislature's overwhelming disdain for his program and said he will allow the bill to become law without his signature.

"It is time to move this issue from the political arena to the court of public opinion where real lives are at stake," Perry said.

A veto almost certainly would have been overridden by Texas legislators, who have questioned the vaccine's safety, efficacy and cost and complained that the governor's mandate would intrude on families' lives. Lawmakers also were outraged that he didn't consult with them before issuing the order.

The bill they sent to the governor last month bars state officials from requiring the shots for four years. Lawmakers could then extend the ban or allow health officials to add the shots to the list of vaccinations required for school attendance.

The vaccine protects girls and women against strains of the sexually transmitted virus that cause most cases of cervical cancer and genital warts. Merck & Co.'s Gardasil is the only HPV vaccine on the market.

Republican Rep. Dennis Bonnen bristled at the governor's criticism of his bill.

"We should not and are now not going to offer the 165,000 11-year-olds in Texas up to be the study group for Merck to find out what the implications of this vaccine would be for these girls," he said.

About half of all men and women are infected with HPV at some point in their lives, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The agency recommends that girls get the vaccine when they are 11 or 12 so they will have immunity before they become sexually active.

Bills have been introduced in about 20 states to require the vaccine. ​