1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Man's Ability to Repent

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by PreachTony, Feb 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

Where do people get the idea that responsibility equals ability ?

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

As Brother Reformed previously posted, ignorance of the law is no excuse when standing before a judge. Same goes with sinners before God...

3. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's not what Paul meant when he said the Law is our schoolmaster.

4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Well, what did Apostle Paul mean?

5. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a very legitimate question, one seriously deserving an answer from somebody

6. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He meant that under the Old Covenant, BELIEVERS were browbeaten by the demands of the Law. Strict requirements which could never make anyone righteous. Those demands were pointing toward the righteousness of Christ.

But now Christ has come, He the end of the Law for righteousness for everyone who believes.

The just shall live by faith.

7. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Thank you. I vehemently disagree with your stance, but that's not what this thread is about, so I won't derail it. Thanks again. :thumbsup:

8. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's respectable
    :thumbsup:

9. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

I agree if you mean this. I read what the law demands to be righteous before God. The law is Holy and the commandments holy, just and good. But I also see that I cannot keep the law in word, thought or deed because of the weakness of the flesh, Rom 8:3 The motions of sin which were by the law stirs up my sin and I bring forth fruit unto death, Rom 7:5 My sin is like dust on the floor of a house and a broom is like the law which when it is used to sweep out the dust it only stirs it up. I realize I cannot be saved by keeping the law, I realize all hope is gone. Then suddenly the Spirit opens my mind to Christ who kept the law and worked out a perfect righteousness, not for himself but for all those that would believe on him is this righteousness imputed to their account so they can now say Christ is my righteousness, Jer 23:6 Isa 45:24 Rom 4:6, Rom 4:11, 5:17

10. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pelagius.

They don't actually get it from Pelagius, but they walk in his shoes, when they reason that way.

Pelagius reasoned that if God demanded it, it must be possible. He used human reasoning in an attempt to gain understanding vs allowing Gods Word to provide him understanding.

His teaching was declared heresy, but, out of ignorance mostly, countless people believe the very same thing he did today. In fact, there are more than a couple of folks on BB who believe this. I myself did for 1/3 of my Christian life, as well.

All of these issues have been debated and resolved in church history, but the average evangelical doesn't read much, and if he does, he doesn't get deeper than, 40 Days of Purpose. . .

#30 thatbrian, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2015
  11. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thanks for another helpful and solid post Brian. Your posts are helpful.:thumbs:

12. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, Brother.

13. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not hard to understand man's responsibility in light of his inability to repent if you hold to a covenant/federalism view of sin and redemption. Adam definitely had the ability to not sin and he messed it up for the race.

14. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I completely agree. Once you grasp that, it clears up tons.

15. nate1989

nate1989 New Member

I wanna get born again but im not sure how to go about the task! Have u guys ever healed in jesus name?

16. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not a task. If it were a task, then it would be a work that you perform.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Then take a look at Romans 10.

17. nate1989

nate1989 New Member

K thanks well i wanted to get baptised again and just give my life to god and stomp hell for a living.

18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ever and anon, the argument is, Why doth He yet find fault, for who hath resisted His will?

19. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup:

18 So then he hath mercy on whom he will, and whom he will be hardeneth.
    19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he still find fault? For who withstandeth his will?
    20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why didst thou make me thus?
    21 Or hath not the potter a right over the clay, from the same lump to make one part a vessel unto honor, and another unto dishonor?
    22 What if God, willing to show his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering vessels of wrath fitted unto destruction:
    23 and that he might make known the riches of his glory upon vessels of mercy, which he afore prepared unto glory,
    24 even us, whom he also called, not from the Jews only, but also from the Gentiles? Ro 9

20. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Give your life to God (please capitalize the names of things for which you have respect) -- do it. Wholeheartedly support you.

Stomp hell for a living -- do it. Wholeheartedly support you.

Get baptized again-- why? That word "again" is where I hold up. Just would like that explained a bit more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.