1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Man's hope lies in FAITH!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You didn't answer the question. Where does faith come from? Does man have it by nature? If not, then how is faith imparted to him?

2. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Faith is grounded on nothing else but the truth of God!!!! Paul does not teach us that faith springs from any other kind of doctrine, but he expressly restricts it to the word of God!!!!

"Faith cometh by hearing...."

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What of those who go away from preaching without believing? Did the Word of God fail?

4. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

Aaron, I too what to read his answer. If he does it will be cryptic. I know what I believe.

Isa 55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

5. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Of course you are correct Skandelon, but you and I know if you throw a rock at a pack of dogs they will all start howling!

6. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Psalm 115:10
    House of Aaron, trust in the LORD— he is their help and shield.

That scripture had to be put in there

No the word of God didn't fail those who do not believe will continue down the road to destruction, God didn't place one road before us but two, trust in Jesus and He will make our path straight or will direct our paths and God promises you will not be put to shame or disappointed.

7. Skandelon

We are not so blind, that we can plead our ignorance as an excuse for our rejection.

The cause of faith among them is the preaching of the gospel!

The cause of preaching is the mission of God, by which it had pleased him in this manner to provide for their salvation.

Since faith alone is required, wherever it is found, there the goodness of God manifests itself unto salvation: there is then in this case no difference between one people or nation and another.

Since he who is the Creator and Maker of the whole world is the God of all men, he will show himself kind to all who will acknowledge and call on him as their God!!!

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seem to be saying that is possible for someone to possess faith and at the same time be unfaithful.

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

But a person CAN be unfaithful and yet have faith.
    You could be the most untrustworthy person in town, a total liar and thief, unfaithful to your wife, family and friends, and yet you could fully have faith and trust your godly mother.
    We are not saved because we are faithful to Christ, I doubt any man is 100% faithful to Christ. No, we are saved because Jesus is faithful to us. Any person who casts himself on Jesus can know he is saved because Jesus has promised not to cast out any person who comes to him (John 6:37).
    My faith is not in myself or I would be lost for certain. My faith is in Jesus who is called Faithful and True.
    You are looking the wrong direction.

10. Osage Bluestem

How do you know? According to your posts in the other thread you don't even believe the bible is inerrant. Therefore you have no basis for any doctrine at all. That destroys all of your credibility. No wonder you're a semi pelagian. You just make things up based on picking and choosing what you like.

#30 Osage Bluestem, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2011
  11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Bump......

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps I would have better stated it as having faith and at the same time denying it. One who possesses true faith, no matter how small, cannot at the same time deny it. One cannot have faith and at the same time be faithless.

But that is what Skandelon is asserting.

13. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

That is NOT what Skandelon is asserting. Could you be even more disingenous? Skan is quite clear between the position of being a member of the household of faith, and the quality of exhibiting "unfaithfulness", which we all (even you) demonstrate when we sin against our God.

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He said faith comes from hearing the Word of God. So those who left the sermon unbelieving either denied the faith that was imparted to them, or the Word of God returned void.

15. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Scripture

With what you are saying, what is these verses saying to you?

2 Timothy 2:
    8 Remember Jesus Christ, raised from the dead, descended from David. This is my gospel, 9 for which I am suffering even to the point of being chained like a criminal. But God’s word is not chained. 10 Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory.

11 Here is a trustworthy saying:

If we died with him,
    we will also live with him;
    12 if we endure,
    we will also reign with him.
    If we disown him,
    he will also disown us;
    13 if we are faithless,
    he remains faithful,
    for he cannot disown himself.

#35 psalms109:31, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2011
  16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Emphasis mine. The conclusions in my previous post were based on Skandelon's theology that man has free will.

17. Winman

Winman Active Member

Just because not everyone who hears the gospel believes it does not mean God's word returned void. Void means "empty". Void would mean that no one believed it. Many people do believe the gospel when they hear it, therefore his word does not return empty or void.

18. Skandelon

In order to uphold the authority of the Scripture, {I} declare that it is divinely inspired.

It is beyond all controversy that men ought to receive it with reverence. This is a principle which distinguishes our religion from all others, that we know that God has spoken to us, and are fully convinced that the prophets did not speak at their own suggestion, but that, being organs of the Holy Spirit, they only uttered what they had been commissioned from heaven to declare.

19. Skandelon

Faith in Christ brings life to all, and that Christ brought life, because the Heavenly Father loves the human race, and wishes that they should not perish. Faith is grounded on nothing else but the truth of God; for Paul does not teach us that faith springs from any other kind of doctrine, but he expressly restricts it to the word of God

Though we appear to have been born to death, undoubted deliverance is offered to us by the faith of Christ; and, therefore, that we ought not to fear death, which otherwise hangs over us. And he has employed the universal term whosoever, both to invite all indiscriminately to partake of life, and to cut off every excuse from unbelievers. Such is also the importance of the term World, which he formerly used; for though nothing will be found in the world that is worthy of the favor of God, yet he shows himself to be reconciled to the whole world, when he invites all men without exception to the faith of Christ, which is nothing else than an entrance into life.

Christ suffered for the sins of the whole world, and is offered through God's graciously indiscriminately to all, yet all do not receive him.

A man will be justified by faith when, excluded from righteousness of works, he by faith lays hold of the righteousness of Christ, and clothed in it, appears in the sight of God not as a sinner, but as righteous...

No man is excluded from calling upon God, the gate of salvation is set open unto all men: neither is there any other thing which keepeth us back from entering in, save only our own unbelief.

God has at heart the salvation of all, because he invites all to the acknowledgment of his truth.

Now the preaching of the gospel gives life; and hence he justly concludes that God invites all equally to partake salvation.

The cause of faith among them is the preaching of the gospel, so the cause of preaching is the mission of God, by which it had pleased him in this manner to provide for their salvation.

Since faith alone is required, wherever it is found, there the goodness of God manifests itself unto salvation: there is then in this case no difference between one people or nation and another. And he adds the strongest of reasons; for since he who is the Creator and Maker of the whole world is the God of all men, he will show himself kind to all who will acknowledge and call on him as their God: for as his mercy is infinite, it cannot be but that it will extend itself to all by whom it shall be sought.

We are not so blind, that we can plead our ignorance as an excuse for our perverseness.

There is no people and no rank in the world that is excluded from salvation; because God wishes that the gospel should be proclaimed to all without exception. Now the preaching of the gospel gives life; and hence he justly concludes that God invites all equally to partake salvation!!!

20. Cypress

Cypress New Member

Well said.....and very genuinely offered to all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.