1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Many = All Many times In The Bible

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rippon, Mar 24, 2008.

1. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Secret church

This was given to me by my mom from a friend of hers.

"The church was a mystery kept secret since the world began. The old testiment proclaimed the comming, the Messiah, but said nothing of the royal priesthood (1Pet 2:9)of those in Christ, the church: according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began(Rom 16:25): But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory(1 cor 2:7) And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ(eph 3:9: This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church (eph 5:32).

But how could God, who had promissed Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but He revealeth His secret unto His servant the prophets(Amos 3:7), keep the church secret, hidden from those to whom He had promissed to reveal all that He would do? He predestined the Church which was kept secret since the world began before the foundation of the world. It is something He had done, not something He would do which would be revealed to the prophets. It is the church which is predestined, not who will be in it. Who will be in it will are those who accept Christ and endure in their faith to the end: he that endures to the end shall be saved (Matt 10:22).

When the Lord said that many are called, but few are choosen(Matt 22:14), He was telling us that most of the people called are not choosen. When Paul wrote whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified (Rom 8:30), he is speaking of the church: those who let him in when He knocks, who let Him live in them to conform them in His image to be justified and glorified. And when Paul wrote: I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway, he was telling us that his own salvation was not predestined but was depended on his enduring love to the end"

2. Allan

Allan Active Member

No one disputes that Jesus is a Ransom for many.
    And no one disputes that His sacrifice does not redeem or ransom everyone.

The problem comes when we confuse Christ's propitation made for all (1Jn 2:2)and the Redemption of many that is applied by faith in the propitiation (Rom 3:25).
    Yes, Christ did give His life a ransom for many and that ransom/redemption is imparted via faith. Therefore it does not preclude Christ dieing for all, it precludes that not all will be of faith thus only many will be ransomed.

You stated "When slaves were redeemed --were they set free or not". There is no question that they were freed, however I must ask:
    Do you believe that all the elect after Christs death were born saved and free from condenation??

If you stated no (and I'm pretty sure you will), the question then becomes, why not, since Christ 'paid' the Ranson already through His death and therefore has set them all free?
    Answer: Because we must believe that the ransom be applied to or imparted for us.

#22 Allan, Mar 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2008
  3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [ quote=Allan ]

Christ 'paid' the Ranson already through His death and therefore has set them all free?
    Answer: Because we must believe that the ransom be applied to or imparted for us.[/quote]

Christ did not set everyone free only those He has chosen . In their lifetime the Lord causes them to be brought to Himself . No one is born saved ( John the Baptist may be an exception to the general rule ) .

Christ died for all of God's elect -- that they would believe . Nowhewre in the Bible does it say that Christ died for us if we believe . That would nake our belief the cause of what is certainly false -- our act would make his death be for us . But , in reality Christ died for His own ( the elect ) that we would believe .

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I see nobody has answered Allan's question...so I'll post it again...

How can a person be damned only after their rejection of a message that can not save them?

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Satisfied WD ? Put your spectacles on .

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No, because that is a non answer. If we are "all in the same boat", the elect and non elect alike, Christ's death is for everyone.

Maybe you would like to take a stab at it? If the Gospel message is not for the reprobate, how can you reject something (and be held accountable for) that was never intended for you?

#28 webdog, Mar 27, 2008
  9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of us , the elect and non-elect ( otherwise known as the reprobate ) enter this world in a state of wrath hanging over us .

The reprobate are worthy of damnation because of their sin . God is not obligated to save them or to even give them "a chance to hear the Gospel" . If you want to blame the Lord for condemning the reprobate you will have no scriptural support .

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...but I thought Christ paid for the sins of the elect before they enter this world? What wrath would there be for them since their sin was already atoned for?

You still haven't answered how the reprobate can be held accountable for rejecting a message not intended for them! I'm not blaming the Lord for anything, but asking YOU to provide the Scriptural support for this view!

11. Allan

Allan Active Member

His chosen where the ones I was refering to concerning those set free (those who are of faith or the elect).

No one is making the argument that Christ died for us 'if we believe'. Christ died and that is a fact, but the propitiation of his death is only imparted 'by faith' (Rom 3:24-26). Another way of say it is that we are justified, as says the scripture, 'by faith' (Rom 3:28; Rom 5:1; Gal 2:16; Gal 3:24). Am I wrong on this?

I do not deny Rippon that scripture states He died for His own or better to make those He foreknew His own [as the end result of His work]. But at the same time I also can not deny that the scripture states that "God so loved the world" and that He is 'the propitiation' for the sins 'of the whole world', 'Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth' ,et... Thus there is more to the story IMO.

Thus I find the comfusion comes when we confuse Christ's propitation made for all (1Jn 2:2) and the Redemption of many that is applied by faith in the propitiation (Rom 3:25).

12. Allan

Allan Active Member

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you actually take the time to read what I say ? Many of the reprobate do not even hear the Gospel , but they will be comdemned neverthless .They are accountable for their sins -- everlasting misery will be their destiny . Hell is reserved for them . It was reserved for them before they were born .

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are three phases to this . The elect are in one sense elect from eternity . Then , at the cross their sins are acquited . Still later , in the lifetime of the elect the Lord brings them into union with Himself .

Scripture says that all are born children of wrath -- so I will affirm that regardless of your protestations .

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, yes.
    ...and the reprobate that HAVE heard the Gospel? What are they accountable for? Is the Gospel nothing more than rubbing salt in a wound to them? Accountability is different from Christ's propitiation. John 3:18 and John 8:24 state man dies eternally for rejecting Christ (the Gospel). If the Gospel is not intended for the reprobate, you have a HUGE dilema, and they cannot be held accountable for something not intended for them in the first place.
    I thought calvinism doesn't teach double predestination :confused:

#35 webdog, Mar 27, 2008
  16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well you are wrong again WD .Some modern Calvinists deny DP , but historically most have held to it as I do .

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Scripture also says that the reprobate will be blotted from the book of life, that when sin springs to life death occurs, etc. That is why context is king. The children of wrath being spoken of in your "proof text" were jews, that they were also children of wrath along with the gentiles (since they thought they held special honor as jews).

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

This is the "hump" (for lack of a better word) in Calvinism that I just cannot get over.

I do not understand how a just God can hold someone accountable for rejecting Christ when they were offered no way to escape the penalty for their sin. :confused:

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ahhh...so you haven't cleared the speed bump after all? :laugh:

Neither have I (as much as I have tried to in the past).

I think Allan's question he has posed is one that cannot be answered by calvinism using Scripture, and is an excellent one.

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You're so funny! :laugh:

Actually, if I had to pick one person on this board that I agree with regarding C/A, it would be Allan. I think he has the most balanced view.