1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Maranatha Baptist Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by redbelt, Nov 1, 2008.

1. redbelt

redbelt New Member

I am excited that Maranatha has re-established their M Div program. It is RA. I hope you will check it out at www.mbbc.edu/seminary. It even has a special program for students attending undergrad at Maranatha and want to continue with a M Div. from there. Praise the Lord!

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    MBBC (aka West Point on the Rock River) is one of my top three schools (right now there's space for number three). It's intellectual roots go back into the Northern Baptist Convention. This is unusual as many schools are rooted in the SBC (a few generations back) or BJU.

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I highly recommend Maranatha. It is regionally accredited and has excellent teachers. My son got his BA there, and we graduated together with the MA a few years ago.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I received the very first Master's given by MBBC nearly 4 decades ago, so I'm a tad biased as to the high quality of program and worthwhile effort for pastors to get a real theological education.

5. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The very first Master's given by MBBC..." They just GAVE you a masters? No classes, thesis, etc.? I wish they had still had that program when I went there. :laugh:

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ya got me!! "Granted" not given". Talk about EARNING a degree

BTW, the typical MA today (even at MBBC) is VASTLY WATERED DOWN from the classes I took.

6 credits - Systematic Theology
    6 credits - Hebrew I
    6 credits - Advance Greek Grammar (5th year Greek since I took Greek all years undergrad)
    6 credits - OT/NT Introduction
    2 credits - Hermeneutics
    2 credits - Adv. Baptist Polity
    2 credits - Pastoral Theology
    6 credits - MA Thesis
    + a bunch more

Been told they no longer require Hebrew OR a thesis, but tremendous learning tools . . . these have been moved into the MDiv program.

#6 Dr. Bob, Nov 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2008