1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

March - Reading 18

Discussion in 'Bible Reading Plan 2017' started by Clint Kritzer, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Clint Kritzer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good morning -

Tonight I would like to concentrate my commentary on our reading in Matthew. To the best of my recollection, verse 64 is the first time that Christ directly answers the question as to whether He is the Messiah. He knew full well the ramifications of His statement, but the high priest had left Him no alternative. He had charged Him under oath to admit the same proclamation that Peter had made back in 16:16.

And that brings us to the second passage of our reading tonight, Peter's denial. In my mind, Peter is by far the most human of all of the disciples described, a passionate man. While all of the other disciples had fled, Peter was so loyal that he followed Christ to His trial. I think he did so out of love for his Master. What a powerful story is told in the last six verses of Matthew 26.

Peter was eavesdropping on the trial inside and now Christ was being ridiculed and abused and here this passionate man was unable to help him both because of the guards that were present and because Christ had commanded to let the prophecies be fulfilled (26:54). Peter was completely caught in the moment, early morning before dawn, and a girl points the finger at him and says, "Hey! I know you! You're one of those guys that followed Jesus." Peter denies it.

Then he moves along toward the doorway, possibly to hear better, and yet another girl makes the same statement and again, Peter denies his affiliation, this time being a bit agitated that he is being distracted and wishing that they would go away.

Finally, a number of those there in the courtyard approach him and say, "Come on, man, you're accent gives you away." Peter CALLS DOWN CURSES AND SWEARS, "I DO NOT KNOW THE MAN!!!"

And then, the cock crows. Oh, poor Peter. You were so human. To be so on fire for the Lord and then to deny Him for your own convenience.

"And he went outside and wept bitterly."

--------------------------------------------------

One other note for those of you who are scholarly. This passage is the only place in the Bible where a chicken is mentioned. There is a theory that "the cock" was actually a Roman bugle call. Either way, it shows that it was the dark hours before the rising of the sun.

May God bless you

- Clint

3. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

"And that brings us to the second passage of our reading tonight, Peter's denial. In my mind, Peter is by far the most human of all of the disciples described, a passionate man. While all of the other disciples had fled, Peter was so loyal that he followed Christ to His trial. I think he did so out of love for his Master. What a powerful story is told in the last six verses of Matthew 26."

I'm often comforted by the lack of faith seen in the disciples. I mean, these guys were actually standing there right next to Jesus, and Peter- the rock- denied him three times. In that I can know that while my faith will never be flawless, I can still have the same faith that Peter had. I can still walk on water for God, and know that though I will probably sink, I will still be picked back up.

UNP
    Adam

4. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Thank you for your loyalty to God's Word posting these everyday Clint. I wish that I still had the time.

God Bless!

UNP
    Adam

5. Clint Kritzer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sunday School lesson 12/18/05 (conclusion)

Romans 11

Romans 11:25-32 The Mystery of Israel

To further diminish the Gentiles’ conceit, Paul reveals God’s mystery in regard to Israel. By not seeing God’s ultimate purpose in Israel some Gentiles had become boastful and proud of their wisdom in embracing the Gospel while the Jews rejected it. Paul here however deflates such arrogance by revealing Israel’s future fullness. The Jews’ hardness was only temporary and they will be grafted back into the olive tree. A remnant remains while the Gentiles have their opportunity but these will lead the Israelites into a saving faith in Jesus Christ as the Messiah.

As Scriptural proof of this doctrine Paul uses a free translation of Isaiah 59:20; 28:9; Psalm 14:7 and Jeremiah 31:33. The Isaiahic Passage is clearly speaking of the future conversion of the Jews, an event that can only occur through the Gospel. Again Paul states that it is the rejection of the Gospel by the Jews that has led to the rapid evangelism in the Gentile regions but the Jews are still very much a part of the salvation plan. Paul reminds the Gentiles that they were once disobedient just as the Jews are now. It is only through God’s mercy that anyone is saved.

God had made a promise to the Patriarchs that was going to come to pass. The hardening of the Jewish heart was for our benefit. It was through this hardening that all nations were blessed.

Romans 11:33-36 The Wisdom of God

Just as the first section of the Roman Letter ended in a hymn of praise in 8:31-39, so this section ends in a doxology of admiration. The Greek is adapted from Hebrew poetry. The word “riches” denotes the abundant mercies of God bestowed upon sinful man. Wisdom is the ability to choose the best means to produce the right end. Knowledge refers to His omniscience and foreknowledge.

Though judgments most often denotes judicial rulings, here it refers to plans or proceedings. Likewise, “His ways” are a course, the path He has taken to accomplish the salvation of all who respond to His love.

Verse 34 is adapted from Isaiah 40:13 and asks the impossible question of who can know the mind of God or can counsel Him? Obviously no one is qualified to do such a thing.

Verse4 35 is taken from Job 41:11 and runs counter to the Jewish doctrine of believing one can earn merit with God.

God is the original fountain of all creation, blessings and history. There is nothing haphazard in the universe and it all serves His purpose. Even the rejection of Christ by the Jews was a part of God’s magnificent plan for us.

6. Clint Kritzer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. Clint Kritzer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. Clint Kritzer