1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marijuana

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Istherenotacause, Apr 4, 2003.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Greek hellenistic mystery religions used a concoction called "kykeon" to bring about a state of "enlightenment". This is probably the object of the reference "pharmakeia" in the Revelation. The Mystery cults were over 1000 years old when the Gospel was brought to Asia Minor and Europe.

HankD

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I was shocked to see that 6 people voted pro 'pot' on this board!

This is how Jesus reacted to misuse of the 'temple'.
    And what does the Bible say about our bodies? We are the TEMPLE???

If I were to know that a 'Christian' (still) smoked pot... their testimony would be ruined in my eyes. (Edited to say...If they smoked pot after accepting Christ.)

Diane

3. christfollower55

christfollower55 New Member

QUOTE]It needs to be legalized, not because we could regulate it (which would be substituting one wrong for another) but because it's the right thing to do.

Get out of the 60's. Pot is not good for you. Legalizing it is most deffantly not the right thing to do. The only reason you want it legalized is because you smoke it. You need to get on your knees Mike McK. :eek:

4. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly New Member

What an ignorant statement. Here's a tidbit. There are those of us who think that some things should be legal, regardless of a particular moral stance on them. I'm not a prostitute, for instance, not do I want to be one, but I think it should not be illegal to be one (no, I'm not assuming that Mike feels the same way about this particular issue - just making a point). And on the other hand, pot does not have to be legal for people to use it, if they so choose.

I have smoked pot, and it does no more for me than does a glass of wine. Perhaps that's because I didn't smoke a lot of it. :eek:

I can see both sides on this one, really. But I'm more inclined to say that prudence is the order of the day, as it is with alcohol.

5. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

That's one of the reasons why I dont smoke it.

It is the right thing to do. There's not one Constitutionally defensible reason to keep it illegal.

The War on Drugs has not only been a disaster on a number of different levels, but has become a war on the American citizen.

We've spent billions making criminals out of citizens who've done nothing.

Actually, that's not true at all and if you'd read my posts in other pot related threads, you'd know that.

And given what the Bible says about lying and those who lie, maybe you should get on yours.

[ April 08, 2003, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: Mike McK ]

6. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I agree. His argument breaks down so he starts making idiotic accusations.

What he doesn't realize is that that assumes that I smoke pot, which I don't. I have several friends who do, but I haven't fired one up in years.

It also assumes that just because it is made legal, that would negate the Biblical admontion against it.

I agree. I happen to think that drugs, including pot, are bad but under our system government, we make laws based on what the Constitution says, not our personal feelings.

But if you were, you'd be right. I do think it's should be legalized.

It did a lot more for me. That's why I quit smoking it.

Basically, I'd giggle like an idiot for a 1/2 hour and doze off.

Again I agree. Expecting people to be responsible should always come before making them criminals.

7. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

OK. Sorry, I didn't realize you meant they were similar morally.

I thought you meant that they were similar in effect.

Please tell me you're not talking about "territorial spirits".

I didn't vote on it because the poll was drawn so broadly that I didn't think I could answer the question.

8. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I don't know anything about what you called "territorial spirits." I was talking about evil spirits in general. Anyone who does not believe this: Go ahead and smoke all the marijuana you want and see where it gets you spiritually. As for me, I renounce it.

I have heard the argument about legal drugs, such as pain pills and the like. I was injured once and the surgery was botched. It took 6 months before I could have a second surgery. During this time I took hundreds of pain pills. I do not understand the difference, but I believe there is one.

9. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

The doctrine of territorial spirits is a heretical teaching from the WoF movement which teaches that certain sins carry with them their own spirits, (spirit of alcohol, spirit of lust, etc.) and that committing these sins puts you under the control of these spirits.

10. christfollower55

again i state "I beeseech ye therefore, by the mercies of God that ye present your bodies a living sacrafice, HOLY and ACCEPTABLE unto God which is your REASONABLE service." How can we do this if we are hurting ourselves with pot, beer, wine, dip, chewing tobacco, cigarettes, etc. I am preaching to myself here too. I used to dip snuff, I have tasted beer, I eat to much. If you want to get down to it we all have probaly tried something bad for us. That is all I am trying to get across. The BIBLE says it's wrong so it is wrong. That is what I am trying to say. That is my reasoning for saying that it shouldn't be legal. You can argue with me all you want but it dosn't matter what I think or what you think, what matters is what GOD says and he says it's wrong!!!!!!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

11. Preacher Nathan Knight

Personally, I am against the legalization of marijuana. I put that in the same class as tobacco or alcohol, all of which if i had my way would be done away with for several reasons. some personal and some moral.

Though I am against it, I choose to approach the problem in a different way than attacking one who who supports it. That way is prayer. I believe that prayer can change anything, so I will just simply pray about the problem. I once heard a preacher say "Nobody ever got saved by me slapping a beer can out of their hand." That is how some people here are approching this issue. You cant just slap it out of someone's hand, you have to pray that God will intervene in all matters and decisions concerning the issue at hand.

12. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

You're assuming that these are harmful and that's not necessarily true.

But we're not a theocracy.

We make our laws according to the Constitution and if our government is God ordained, as I believe Romans says it is, that's the standard we have to go by.

But what about people who don't believe in God?

13. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Are any of them Constitutional?

14. christfollower55

The constitution is man made law. We are supposed to live by God's Law as Christians. Now i'm not saying where are under the law of Moses, however, we are to follow the law. What i mean about not being under the law is that we don't have to make sacrafices anymore. Christ was the ultimate sacrafice. But we do have to follow the law...

GOD BLESS AMERICA

15. Preacher Nathan Knight

None of my reasons are necessarily constitutional, but then again the constitution isnt the word of God. Dont get me wrong, I love the constitution but it does have its flaws when it comes to issues of morality. As Christians we have a higher power and a higher citizenship in a greater kingdom that we are obligated to first. I love America but it is not true home.

16. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

But our laws have to jibe with the Constitution. If they don't, then they should overturned.

17. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

But the bottom line is that we have to consider the Constitution when we pass our laws.

18. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly New Member

Absolutely, the Constitution is not our final law, nor are any other laws of the land. No law legalizing pot would make it required ingesting. If that were the case (H.R. 523 - Everybody must get stoned), then I'd be against it too.

But Mike's right - we don't live in a theocracy, and as such, we should not make laws that don't stand up to secular reasoning. 1 Corinthians 6:12 tells us that "all things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient" which is true. So it is under the word of God. It seems this same principle can be applied to government law.

Issues of morality beyond life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, are really not the affair of the state. That's not really a flaw in our Constitution. It's the reason we love it - it allows for different people to make decisions about their lives, to the extent that such decisions don't harm others. Unfortunately, that principle is not employed much in current practice.

19. Istherenotacause

Istherenotacause New Member

Hi, "StubbornKelley",

"I can see both sides on this one, really. But I'm more inclined to say that prudence is the order of the day, as it is with alcohol."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prudence involves the fore-seeing of the evil that something will cause. Take the country of Holland into proper perspective. Brother Danny Alford is a missionary there. If you really believe marijuana and prostitution and the like should be legalized, you should either speak with him and his wife, or visit the "Red District" sometime. You'll begin to see the immorality as the outcome of the "liberal" concept to legalizing those things some deem as being left to the proper judgement of "adults".

I'm not "blowing you out" for your post, but if you want to call some one ignorant in this matter, consider ignorance to the entire ideal. [​IMG]

Brother Ricky

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Dont get me wrong, I love the constitution but it does have its flaws when it comes to issues of morality.

Good, because it wasn't created to guarantee morality, it was guaranteed to guarantee individual freedoms.