1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marijuana

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Istherenotacause, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Istherenotacause

Istherenotacause New Member

Sorry, Mike, but to go to the extremes to back up you ideal is outlandish and uncalled for.

You jump from democracy to theocracy, to totalinarianism. The poll is not too broad, I gave my example and simply ask is it a sin to injest marijuana, you keep trying to allude to politics. Also, you seem to want to preside over the government. Our government is set up on the ideal of a republic, many today would disagree, but that is what true liberatarianism is all about; maintaining the republic through the democratic process, all the while avoiding tresspass over ones liberty. It is the people who make up the governement in a free society. I didn't post this poll in the debate forum, it was moved here from another section, I suppose to initiate a debate. Seperate the church from state, Mike. Stop the political mumbo-jumbo and get back to the poll.

Big question: since medical science combined with psychiatric theory suggests alcoholism/being a drunkard, with it being inherited, who is to blame for allowing one to drink alcohol, by legalizing it for the responsible adult, that would result in the negative? This seems to insite drunkeness rather than prevent it, wouldn't you say? It is morer l;ogical to assume anyone is capable of becoming a drunk, so the solution would then be abstination, not responsible drinking, for there really is no such thing, unless you believe the lie of the devil; (I won't become a drunk like ".......", is). Here the same applies to marijuana injestion: "I won't become a drug addict like "...." is". It all begins with the first time, no one ever decided to become a drunk or a drug addict the first time, now did they?

To injest marijuana responsibly? NO SUCH THING! It leads to further complications, and that affects everyone.

In Christ, Our Blessed Redeemer,

Brother Ricky

2. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

I agree. Quit doing it.

You're the one who's going to extremes. All I'm doing is telling you what the philosophies behind our Republic say.

You're the one who brought up religious and moral reasons as the reason for keeping it illegal, not me.

You're the one who brought up the idea that the government should legislate morality. I merely gave you a couple of examples of governments who have done this and asked you to comment.

First of all, I'm not the one who brought the idea of legalization. That was Post It and CWlugston.

Second, the poll is too broad.

"Marijuana: sin or not sin" is too broad.

This assumes that marijuana is either inherently sinful or not inherently sinful.

It doesn't take into account, the use of maraijuana, the reasons for it's use, the level of it's use, the outcome of it's use, Biblical mandates concerning it's use, etc.

I do? Please provide an example of what I've said that would lead you to believe this.

Don't tell me that you would support curtailing people's liberty and that you believe in a nanny state and then lecture me about libertarianism.

That's just hypocritical.

Butyou're advocating "tresspassing all over one's liberty".

Nevertheless, it's here.

Excuse me?

Please give me one example of anything I've said that confuses church and state. I can give several examples of you having wanted to outlaw pot for religious reasons.

"Political mumbo jumbo"?

This is why I won't send my kids to public school.

God. He's the one who gave us free will to decide whether or not to drink.

It's important to note that "alcoholism/being a drunkard" are two different things.

One is a compulsion. The other is a behavior.

No.

First of all you just said that it was "inherited".

Second, laws do not make people drunk. Drinking to excess makes people drunk.

It's only abstinence if it's voluntary. It can only be voluntary if it's legal.

First of all, how would you explain the millions upon millions of us who do drink responsibly and haven't become drunks?

Second, you said that it's "inherited". What about those of us who haven't "inherited" it?

Again, this assumes that everyone who tries it is an adict waiting to happen or will behave irresponsibly while under it's influence and we know that that's not true.

And, again, you're falling back on the "for our own good" argument, which is not your decision to make.

When used irresponsibly and we already have laws for that.

3. Istherenotacause

Istherenotacause New Member

Good day Mike, and God bless.

Brother Ricky :rolleyes:

4. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

So then you can't answer the questions to the points that you, yourself, brought up?

5. christfollower55

christfollower55 New Member

i still belive it's wrong

GOD BLESS AMERICA

6. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

[ April 14, 2003, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Mike McK ]

7. christfollower55

christfollower55 New Member

why do you post things with no words...

GOD BLESS AMERICA

8. martyr

martyr New Member

I personally wish the phrasing of the poll had been worded better. If so, there would have been two or three other options on it, or at least a few other questions.