1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mark 1:25: "Stop talking?"

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by jonathan.borland, Feb 16, 2012.

1. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

HCSB Mark 1:25 But Jesus rebuked him and said, “Be quiet, and come out of him!”

Perhaps "Stop talking" would be a better translation of Jesus' command considering the "noise" the demon makes in the next verse!

Thoughts?

2. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

think "SHUT UP!" fits the bill here!

3. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

"Be quiet" would be acceptable at Mark 1:25 in the sense that it is usually thought of being idiomatic of the cessation of verbal sounds and not a literal arresting of all possible noise making (such as clapping with hands, or stomping feet). The Greek word insinuates a 'muzzling' of the mouth.

But "Stop talking" may be to specific (implying the actual formation of words against other audible forms such as nonverbal growls, hisses, and moans). "Shut up" would also work on the idiomatic level; or perhaps a little more tempered "Silence".

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the verb is referring to an action that had occurred, i.e. a done deal. Therefore either "be muzzled" or "be silenced" provides the idea that the action was done, not a command to be followed. Perhaps a better wording, would be Jesus adjudged him saying "be silenced and come out of him."

5. jonathan.borland

Funny you should say that, as the New Chinese Version (新译本) has the equivalent of "Shut up!" (住口)!

I also notice that the German Schlachter version has "Verstumme" which means "Stop talking!"

6. jonathan.borland

But indeed it was a command to be followed and to be followed immediately, as Jesus didn't want demons professing his divinity but rather fallen mankind, but even then there was this Messianic Secret thing going on!

7. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

stop doing that, and keep on being quite....

wsa it similaiar to when He commanded the storm to cease and waters be calm?

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reply to Jonathan

I think we need to delve into who was taking the action to silence the demons. The imperative verb is in the passive voice, hence my understanding is Jesus was commanding the power of God to cause the demon to be silenced, and then commanding the demon rather than the power of God to come out.

Is that right?

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I understand the structure of verse 26, we have the demon, and not the man, crying out one last time as it is being silenced by the power of God.

In summary, Jesus was not simply verbally giving direction to the demon which the demon could choose to obey or not obey. Rather Jesus was causing the demon to be silenced and removed from the possessed man.