1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mark 14:51-52 Proper Interpretation and Understanding

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by jshurley04, Mar 6, 2004.

1. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

Mark 14:51 And there followed him a certain young man, having a linen cloth cast about his naked body; and the young men laid hold on him: 52 And he left the linen cloth, and fled from them naked. (KJV)

If this is the incorrect place for this topic, I appologize. I have been studying this passage for a few days now and am haveing a hard time understanding the proper interpretation and applicaition (other than don't run around Buck Naked :rolleyes: ). It seems that the only information that I can come up with is the general acceptance that the young man is Mark, the writer of the this gospel.

What causes my struggle is that for years I have read right over this and this last week I realized it was there for the first time. It simply seems to me to be out of place in the context of the arrest of Christ. Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated.

2. David Mark

David Mark New Member

I read the admirable Mr. Gill's commentary on this.

Mr. Gill makes a good point when he describes the Roman soldiers trying to grab anyone who they thought was associated with Jesus. The intensity, the anger, the confusion of the situation becomes evident to me.

Who this man was, I care not, and Mr. Gill only speculates about it. I do like Mr. Gill's speculation that this man sort of had on what ever was quick to put on and was trying to learn what was going on. Only to become embroiled in the danger. He fled when grabbed by the soldiers.

For me, it paints a picture of the intensity of the attempted arrest of everyone associated with Jesus.

It must have been chaos!

Dave.