1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mark 2:14 & Mark 3:18?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by convicted1, Apr 17, 2012.

1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Mark 2:14 And as he passed by, he saw Levi the son of Alphaeus sitting at the receipt of custom, and said unto him, Follow me. And he arose and followed him.

Mark 3:18 And Andrew, and Philip, and Bartholomew, and Matthew, and Thomas, and James the son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus, and Simon the Canaanite,

Now, I have two questions. Are these two verses referring to the same person?(I have always thought this)

And is this James, the less, or lesser?

2. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

Most would say that Levi the tax collector (Mark 2:14) is the Matthew of Mark 3:18 and Matt 9:9. If the Alphaeus of Mark 2:14 and 3:18 is one and the same, that would mean there were 3 sets of brothers as part of the 12 apostles (i.e., Matthew and James in addition to Peter/Andrew and James/John). And yes, I would suppose that this James would be the "lesser" since he wasn't one of the sons of thunder, although I think the "lesser" James outlived the "greater" James, whom Herod beheaded early on.

3. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not so fast. I'm inclined to agree that Levi & Matthew are the same individual w/ different names (Matthew named himself "Matthew" in his own account). However, that does not mean that Matthew/Levi was brothers w/ James the son of Alphaeus. Maybe their fathers had the same name. At most we should say "it is possible" but not so bold as to say definitely "that would mean there were 3 sets of brothers." Just a cautionary warning. My mistake... just saw where you put "If"... my bad!

There are of course other possibilities. Nothing in the text, that I can think of, makes Levi son of Alphaeus one of the 12. That is something we assume (whether right or wrong). Just need to keep that in mind as well.

#3 Greektim, Apr 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2012
  4. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I would say no. The first is Matthew, the 2nd is James the son of Alphaeus was James the Less or little.

5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with brother Bob. :)

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also, Luke 6:16 and Acts 1:13 note the apostle Jude being related to James:

"and Judas the brother of James"

And the phrase "James the Less" occurs only in Mark 15:40:

"among whom was Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James the less and of Joses, and Salome"

7. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What translation are you using???

It should be (and is) Judas of/from James i.e. son of James.

Now if you are referring to Jude 1, that's different. But that is also a different James and Jude/Judas altogether (probably).