1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mark 8:22-26

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Apr 4, 2008.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is the only miracle that Jesus seemed to have trouble performing. What do you make of this passage? It's almost like Jesus didn't know how much of His power to release to restore sight. Thoughts?

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Nobody? :)

I wanted to edit my OP, but it was too late. "Trouble performing" was not the best use of wording, maybe "full knowledge of the desired result"?

#2 webdog, Apr 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2008
  3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

You know, Webdog, I've never noticed that before. You've posed an interesting question that I don't have an opinion on. :eek:

Yet. :D

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd share mine, but I don't want to rock your boat, webbie.
    Best keep quiet.

5. standingfirminChrist

The key is in verse 25, webdog.

In verse 25, "He made him look up..."

Seems to me the first time it was the man's unwillingness to look up that caused him to see men "as trees walking."

I am reminded of the verse that says we will one day be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.

We may receive healings... even miracles, but until we see Him as He is, we cannot grasp the fullness of healings and miracles.

6. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, due to a "senior moment", I find I am unable to recall an explanation I read or heard (see, don't even remember which--) re: this instance.

Will be most happy to furnish said info IF I ever recall it!:BangHead::praying::sleep:

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Great non answer :)

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

:confused:

I'm not following your line of thinking.

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I wouldn't quite say that Jesus had "trouble performing a miracle." Ok, I noticed you corrected that expression. Sorry about that!

Rather, I would look beyond the oddity of this miracle to see the greater message (Matt 11:20, 21).

I believe many of the miracles and actions of Jesus were symbolic. I think of the cleansing of the Temple in this way.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

See my second post :)

I do understand the message, but it is the only miracle that needed a "double take" so to speak. I'm curious as to why...

For those without a Bible currently, here is the text in question from Biblegateway.com (HCSB)

22 Then they came to Bethsaida. (X) They brought a blind (Y) man to Him and begged Him to touch him. 23 He took the blind man by the hand and brought him out of the village. Spitting (Z) on his eyes and laying His hands on (AA) him, He asked him, "Do you see anything?"

24 He looked up and said, "I see people—they look to me like trees walking." (AB) 25 Again Jesus placed His hands on the man's eyes, and he saw distinctly. He was cured and could see everything clearly. 26 Then He sent (AC) him home, saying, "Don't even go into the village." (AD) [c]

#10 webdog, Apr 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2008
  11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I was correcting my post as you were writing the above.

But I believe the second touch in Mark 8 is one of reassurance to the man rather than any deficiency in Messiah.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...then how come his vision wasn't restored clearly the first time? He wasn't cured until the second time he touched him.

13. standingfirminChrist

webdog,

In the Gospels, we read that in one town, Jesus was not able to do many miracles because of their unbelief.

I believe the blind man was not totally believing in the thing Jesus could do for him. Until he 'looked up' into the face of Jesus, he could not fully see.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

OK, I understand where you are coming from. The KJV reads a little different from some of the other translations. I don't believe Jesus "needs" belief to perform a miracle. That would render man sovereign in the miracles being performed, as Jesus would be handcuffed. I believe the meaning that Jesus was unable to do "many" miracles because of being in His hometown was due to the fact everybody viewed Him as only a man, and didn't bring people to Him for healing.

There has got to be more to this miracle that I just can't wrap my mind around :BangHead:

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Webdog, because of Matt 11:20, 21, I'll have to agree with SFIC's post.

I believe this miracle was symbolic. Consider the cursing of the fig tree, a literal fig tree but a symbolic action, pointing to Israel.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Matt. 11:20-21 has Jesus denouncing the towns because they didn't repent after He performed the miracles in those towns. I don't see how that corresponds to this passage in Mark. To me it is a reach to connect this miracle with the fig tree.

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

If we were to try an reconstruct a chronology of events, we would have the events of Matt 11 taking place before the events of Mark 8.

Maybe this is Jesus' second time to pass through Bethsaida, with Matt 11 signifying another. Just an observation!

I really don't see a stretch, because many of the miracles of Jesus were symbolic. If that were not the case, I wouldn't have ventured such a possibility.

18. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Since we know that our Lord is perfect, and does everything perfectly and for a reason, I believe that this must be have been done on purpose for our benefit.

"1Cr 13:12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known."

I believe this could be what is meant by this example He was illustrating our progression. We are first spiritually blind, then we see dimly, and one day when we see Jesus face to face will see clearly.

19. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Best answer yet.

20. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for admitting that just because you don't understand it does not make it impossible! (Seems some have the idea of: "I don't understand/agree, therefore I'm gonna spiritualize to make His word more palatable!")

This concept needs to be more fully accepted to eliminate some of the pride on this BB.