1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mark Driscoll in his own words...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by PastorSBC1303, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I know there has been a lot of discussion regarding emerging, emergent, etc.

I thought it might be helpful for people to actually hear Mark Driscoll in his own words at a conference hosted by Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary.

Here is a link to all the messages, but I would highly recommend Driscoll's message...

http://www.dennyburk.com/?p=892#more-892

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Yeah, John Macarthur in his Truth War mentions him as the "cussing pastor." He's quite a character.

3. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

I've listened to Driscoll and read enough of his current theological mood (including part of this one). Comparatively he lacks maturity, gravity, and is reactionary. In the end I find Driscoll to be more of the same but with the slogan:

"We're cool too, we just do it the right way". It would behoove Driscoll to enlighten himself with weightier thoughts than chasing down Halo 3 gamers with a new vid box stamped with "Jesus Rulz". In fact here is one he might consider (though I am not a Lutheran I certainly respect the seriousness and maturity reflected in these words from the LCMS concerning the culture of the church):

From the LCMS by By Dr. Arthur A. Just, Jr.

“However, many do not realize that Lutheran worship is its own culture, distinct from the pop culture and the evangelical culture of Christianity in our country today. The church must develop and maintain its own cultural language that reflects the values and structures of the Scriptures and not of the current culture. This church language can only be shaped by a biblical theology which affirms the real presence of Jesus Christ in worship and our belief that this presence binds the culture together as a community. The context that shapes our distinct Lutheran ethos is Scripture, theology, and history. Local circumstance is secondary. Traditionally, this Lutheran culture is liturgical, theological, and counter- cultural.”

4. PastorSBC1303

My whole deal is just that people would listen to Driscoll and hear him in his own words.

Too many have relied on what they have heard from others or read on blogs, etc.

If you like him, great. If you don't like him, great. But base your opinion on hearing from him in his own words.

I listened to his message and I actually found him quite intriguing, humble and real. He was very open and honest about his past failures and also about where he and others that are "emergent" disagree and have went seperate ways.

Take the time to listen to the message.

5. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Driscoll holds to some sound doctrine. Where he falls short is on the doctrine of epistemology. 1 Cor 2:11

His methology is based on a flawed understanding of how man comes to understand the gospel. The premise of the Emerging Church is ungodly and allows for comprimising of the gospel. The Emerging Church is heretical.

6. 2 Timothy2:1-4

This is a repeated assumption that cannot be known unless you sit beside those who are accused while they study this. It is often used as a way to discredit opposing view points but in has no basis in fact. What happens is the criticle characterizations are what is not really liked. But I find most are made with clarity.

7. PastorSBC1303

I am not going round and round with you on this issue again.

However,I would venture to say that you have not listened to his message, am I right?

8. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Why is this?

9. PastorSBC1303

Have you listened to the message?

10. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Since this is a constant drum beat of thse who defend The EC I want to know why you all constantly assume this. It has no basis yet I can get none of you to answer my question. Why do you assume this?

I have heard it. I read his blog. As I have aleady told you I read emerging blogs and writings almost on a daily basis. I suppose you think that because Driscoll seperates himself from McLaren and Pagitt that it somehow clears up his error. Now can you answer my question?

11. PastorSBC1303

Just a simple yes or no would suffice.

12. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I was at the Convergent Conference. Driscoll did great and I fully appreciate him, his ministry, and his desire to reach people. He did a good job in his presentations and I think he is in a very (self-admittedly) different place personally in regards to his arrogance and humility issues. He publicly repented of his cussing and arrogance, again, during the conference.

Nothing but good things to say about Driscoll. :)

Saying the "Emerging Church is heretical" is silly and simply wrongheaded, you don't get it and refuse to try to get it. Enough on that.

13. 2 Timothy2:1-4

As I figured cannot answer why you continue to make such an unfounded accusation.

14. PastorSBC1303

I asked you a simple question, did you listen to the message.

Not answering seems like a pretty solid no to me.

If the answer is yes, then just say so.

15. 2 Timothy2:1-4

You may want to actually read my post. I d not know how much clearer I ca be. And once again you have avoided my question.

16. PastorSBC1303

I did read your post, and you have in no way answered my question.

If you do not want to deal with the question, then how about leaving the thread alone?

17. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Here is where I responded to your question, Noice the red highlighted answer to your qestion that is so very obvious:

Now are you going to answer mine or can you?

18. PastorSBC1303

My apologizes. When I read that post, the second line was not there yet. I guess you added it or something.

Now to your question.

The majority of those who I have encounted, including you at times, have based the majority of thoughts on Driscoll and his work based on what others have said in books and blogs, etc.

For example, take the comment right off the bat by TCGreek. What did he say? He automatinally referenced a statement by MacArthur. Which is fine, but it is making a judgement without even listening to the person he is talking about.

I just continue to find that wrong.

If you have listened to the message and you disagree with him that is completely fine with me. I just think people need to actually listen to Driscoll and hear his words and not take other people's word for it.

19. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Actually I agree with most all of what I heard from him. except when at anytime he or anyone else suggests that pople understand the gospel based on subculture. Subculture has no part to play in understanding the gospel. And there is no evidence that I have ever reached any conclusion about the EC based on what other people have said. It is false mantra. And DRiscoll is nt the begining and the end of he EC. He s just one fish in a big pond.

20. PastorSBC1303

Can you provide a quote or some evidence of him saying that people understand the gospel based on subculture? I would like to read it and hear or see it in the context of what he is saying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.