1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mark Driscoll in his own words...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by PastorSBC1303, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

He doesn't seem that interesting to me, and I have a long list of books I am still trying to get through first anyway. I just find it a little funny, that earlier in this thread when some raised questions about him, the questions kept coming, but did you listen to the link? Then when I listen to the link, and had my own questions, now comes, but have you read his books? A quality speech, sermon, interview etc., should be able to stand on it's own. Obviously much of Mark Driscoll's work does not do this.

2. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Well aren't you the professional speaker! Can I send you some tapes so you can listen to me?:laugh:

3. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I am not one, and never claimed to be. But I don't believe it is an unreasonable expectation that when a pastor calls people sinners he be clear about what he means. I am not saying you shouldn't like him, read his books, and listen to him. But don't become such a fan, that you maybe end up making excuses for him to easily.

4. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Oh goodness.....okay, you're right.:thumbs:

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Dan e has already responded to you and I agree with his response, so there is no need for me to add anything.

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. If I had to evaluate the ministry Driscoll on that one lecture, I would say he unapologetically preached the Cross and the apostle Paul would be proud of him.

2. According to pastorSBC, you guys who have a problem with his Fundamental remarks, must research more and even contact him to get it right on the matter, and then make your decision about Mark.

3. Until then, your decision to be against Driscoll is based on partial or no proper info at all.

#66 TCGreek, Oct 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2007
  7. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'll go ahead and point out a couple of things and see what happens:

1. MacArthur was wrong about Driscoll. (Well technically the ghost writer was wrong but that is mincing words) Driscoll is as fine a theologian, pastor, leader, and teacher as you'll find anywhere. Jesus used a type of speech called hyperbole...for instance the whole if you eye causes you to sin pluck it out thing...which Driscoll uses as well to get people to confront beliefs and positions.

2. If a man has publically repented of a poor attitude and past cursing, why hold it over his head.

3. I'd be interested to see another pastor who speaks as specifically about the death of Christ and victory in resurrection as Driscoll does from Sunday to Sunday. Also, match that up with how many people are getting saved in his ministry and let's see where we stand. The man is a good leader.

4. Too many people are adding qualifications for ministry that Jesus and the Apostles couldn't meet. Why waste our time trashing someone else who we disagree with over context when we are saying the exact same content?

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dan didn't really respond to the question at all. It wasn't about judging Driscoll, it was about your criterion.

And I certainly am not fretting over it. I've been following the thread and your sudden change of heart seemed like an anomaly among your history of generally well-thought-out and reasoned posts. That's why I commented.

You must admit that your new conclusion is a leap at best, and certainly doesn't follow the rules of best evidence, but your welcome to it.

#68 Aaron, Oct 9, 2007
  9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone who presumes to lead others had better have it pretty much figured out and all together.

10. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Oh Lord save us.:BangHead:

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Whether I'm embracing Driscoll or not all the way, should not be drawn from what I said previously on the positive side.

2. I was simply drawing my own conclusion from what I read in Macarthur's book and the lecture I listened to provided by PastorSBC.

3. After listening to the lecture by Driscoll and finding nothing questionable in light of the gospel of Christ, I agree with PastorSBC and PreachinJesus that if the brother has repented, then we should do the Christlike thing and forgive him and move on.

4. Additionally, Driscoll has clearly separated himself from the likes of Brian Mcclaren and those who wish to diminish the worth of the Cross of Christ. And personally, when he said in his lecture that he's a friend of DA Carson, I knew he was in good company.

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aaron said: Anyone who presumes to lead others had better have it pretty much figured out and all together.

To which dan replied: Oh Lord save us.:BangHead:

I guess dan prefers confused and flimsy leaders.

13. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Yes...that is clearly what I said. Brilliant! :applause:

Might I add....a very profitable post as well.

14. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I'm just curious....has anyone else taken my comments that way?

15. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Here is the full paragraph from the article from Driscoll that was referenced on here. I think it is helpful to see the whole paragraph instead of just one sentence...

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sarcasm is wasted on you. No one thinks you really want a confused or flimsy leader. I just wanted you to see how ridiculous one of your criticisms of traditional pastors is.

One critical requirement of someone who is a leader is that he is NOT a novice. He'd better have it pretty much figured out and all together.

#76 Aaron, Oct 9, 2007
  17. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

To me this quote is continued proof of the immature and wanting philosophy and theology of Driscoll.

He presumptively states that if "doctrine and and practice are constant, the result is dead orthodoxy."

He evidences this how? By his own experiences? To him it may seem like dead orthodoxy but he fails to explain what practices need changed and why. He validates nothing other than by him saying it. But absurd is the assertion that it (practice) must be "ALWAYS CHANGING". Why? What exactly does he mean by always? It is true by default as our culture changes, develops and innovations occur they will be reflected in some of what we do but is it that rapid and that intense that it requires the conclusion that our practice must always be changing?

The fact is our Christian practice is regulated by our theology. Instead, a myopic standard for determining practice is offered which that appears to be significantly detached from theology which is one of the immature characteristics of the Driscoll school of theology and practice.

Let's take MacArthur for example. Does he find the need to constantly enter into "Emerging Church" formats and nomenclature? No. In fact the church has remained consistent with its theology and practice over the years. And astonishingly it has GROWN. And not just grown but attracted mature and new believers, both experiencing spiritual edification.

Driscoll doesn't in the end answer to me or anyone else but if one wants to use his name for a theological or practical discussion within the church then in that respect I refer to HIS SCHOOL of theology and practice, but not as his judge.

It is immature, it has the cart before the horse and in the end, though it will be used by God as God uses all of us "crooked sticks" its over compensating philosophy is misspent.

#77 Alex Quackenbush, Oct 9, 2007
  18. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Hmmm....that's where we'll disagree. In fact...I would say that is a corporate view of leadership in our secular society. Yet, check out the men Jesus chose to be leaders. You know where I'm going with that, I'm sure. A person who claims to have things figured out and all together is fooling themself. More people today aren't going to be fooled along with him/her. I think this generation wants sincere leaders who are honest with struggle, and how they are growing; not someone who thinks they know it all.

#78 dan e., Oct 9, 2007
  19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, sad sacks until they received the Holy Ghost. Then they were rocks—powerhouses. Stedfast and unmoveable.

20. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I don't disagree with you on that...yet even though they were filled with the Holy Spirit, they still needed to be taught. They still had problems. Even after Jesus left. Where in the world do you get the impression that they had somehow peaked in their development as leaders?

#80 dan e., Oct 9, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.