1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mark Richt

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by North Carolina Tentmaker, Oct 4, 2010.

1. North Carolina Tentmaker

As a Georgia Tech graduate I will admit a great personal bias against the University of Georgia and their sports teams. Every good Tech man’s favorite teams are Georgia Tech and whoever plays Georgia on any given week.

With that being said, for the last 10 years Mark Richt has been a man I would have loved to hate, but just couldn’t. Not only did I have to deal with the Christian idea of hate being a bad thing, Richt was such a nice guy. An outstanding Christian, open and sharing with his faith, telling everyone he tries to live by his life verse of Col 3:23. He has his kids in Christian school, is active in his church, overall Richt is just a great guy.

But I have seen a change in Richt over the last few years that is disturbing. While as a Tech man I welcome the fall of Georgia football this is still sad to see. It goes back to the 2006 loss to Tennessee. (here’s to you Tom) After losing to Tennessee, Vanderbuilt, and Kentucky in 2006 Richt made a noticeable change in his recruiting. Starting with his 2007 class it looked clear to me that Richt had adjusted his recruiting goals based on athletic ability alone sacrificing the personal character of his prospects.

Since that time I think we have seen a steady decline in the character and discipline at Georgia. In 2007 we had the unsportsmanlike rushing the field in Florida. Since then Richt’s team has always been among the most penalized in NCAA. Now we have NCAA investigations and arrests (23 of them documented by the Atlanta Journal/Constitution since 2008) http://www.ajc.com/sports/uga/uga-football-arrests-2008-601205.html

You might ask, “What’s the big deal? Don’t a lot of SEC and other conference teams have arrest and discipline problems?” Well yea, they do, but Richt didn’t used to. His teams used to be different.

Loosing 4 straight for the first time since Richt took over as coach should be a wake up call. Like I said earlier, as a Georgia Tech man I love to see Georgia loose, but I know Richt is a Christian and as my brother in Christ I hope he gets the chance to turn it around. Knowing the lack of patience Georgia fans are liable to have, he may have to start over somewhere else. That would be fine with me actually, I would like to be able to root for him.

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Apparently from his record, he hasn't been getting much athletic ability either. :tongue3:

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

Well that is the thing Tom, he is, he has as good or better athletes than anyone, but that does not translate to wins when they lack the character needed to play as a team.

Tennessee has its share of the same problems. You don't want to bring up their arrest records. Luckily your new coach has a law degree so he can bail them out in time for each game.:tongue3:

Seriously, I think Tennessee is dealing with the exact same problems and is moving the right direction.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Well, I think there's a bit of a difference. GA has had some bigger fish to fry in that dept.

Richt's teams have always been penalized and been at or near the top of the SEC in most penalties. He's had some poor moves get bailed out. But underachieving will get you canned in this conference rather quickly. I have said for two years that Les Miles and Mark Richt's seats were hot and getting hotter. I honestly believe Miles would have to win 8 games at least in order to save his job. Rich may have to win out, something that isn't going to happen.

I think Richt is just not getting the talent. Stafford hasn't been replaced. Neither has Moreno. A.J. Green is non-existent. Some UGA boosters I know are just plain tired of it all. The one thing saving his job this year could be the fact that the debacle with the old AD may make the new regime gunshy about firing Richt.

5. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With the salaries these coaches make, they need to perform every year.

It's just a part of the process.

If they don't want the stress, they need to get out of coaching.

6. North Carolina Tentmaker

I just don't think that is quite correct Tom, I think the change in Richt's recruiting and coaching style after 2006 has resulted in less dicipline and more penalties. I think he did this on purpose, scared because of the losses that year, but I think it was an unwise choice that has been building for years and is going to cost him his job this year. Now four years after his change his quality character players are all gone and he is left with a squad of talented goons.

I could only find statistics back to 2005 but here is what I found:

In 2005 Ga committed a total of 77 penalties for 697 yards.

In 2006 they committed 78 penalties for 611 yards.

In 2007 that jumped to 91 penalties for 760 yards.

In 2008 they committed 112 penalties for 938 yards.

In 2009 they committed 105 penalties for 878 yards.

They were 3rd in NCAA in 2008 and 6th in 2009, but Richt did not coach like that before 2007.

7. North Carolina Tentmaker

As far as having talent, Richt still has it. His 2010 class ranks way down at 21st in the nation, but recruitingscout.com ranks his 2009 class as 4th and his 2008 class as 5th in the nation. His recruits have talent, just no discipline.

At least that is mho and I am probably beating a dead horse at this point.

8. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Vol fan checking in here..

I love college football, but its in a sorry state and reflects our instant gratification/win at all costs society. Not a lot of people expected much out of UT this year due to our lack of depth and young talent. It amazed me to hear the call in shows after we beat UT Martin 50-0, some people called in asking if we would go 12-0, a few weeks later after we lose to 3 top 10 teams people are calling for Dooley's head and those of the OC and DC. A majority of fans just have unrealistic expectations, I figured out a couple years ago that I just had to give it up, enjoy the games but don't take it so seriously. I think UT is headed in the right direction with Dooley, if the fans give him time.

Coach Richt will most likely get fired this season or next, but I'm sure he will be able to pick up a job in the ACC, possibly UNC. Of course the OP would still have to root against him there too. I wish the best for Richt because of his testimony. As a TN fan though, the uncertainity combined with the Dooley heritage will likely boost our recruiting in GA.

9. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I haven't kept up with his discipline issues and talent level (though they always seem to get a top 10 recruiting class every year). However, as a fellow GT alum :wavey:, it's great to see UGA in the dog house. TECH rules, Dawgs drool!!

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I haven't heard one person call for Dooley's head here in Knoxville. Now, people are wondering about Wilcox (DC), but that's it. Remember that before last season started, there was a "Fire Lane Kiffin" website or two out there. Not one pops up on a google right now for Dooley.

I haven't looked up the numbers lately...I just remember seeing them relative to the SEC, not the NCAA. There's no disputing the things happening at bad times. Richt was Les Miles before Les Miles became Les Miles :laugh:

#10 TomVols, Oct 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2010
  11. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Persoanlly I loved the way Georgia marched out on the field to celebrate their touch down against FL. They took the 15 yards and played on. Only a sour GT fan would complain about that. Most folks celebrated right along with them.

12. North Carolina Tentmaker

Well for starters it resulted in two 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalties forcing Georgia to kick off from the 8 (half the distance kicked in). Then Richt had to issue formal appologies to the SEC commissioner and to the University of Florida to avoid sanctions.

It was a planned deliberate effort to fire his team up, and it worked, uga went on to win, but it was also a clear violation of the rules and spirit of the game. I am sure many sorry uga fans celebrated with them but I wonder how many Florida fans did. It was a great example of the "win at all costs" lack of discipline and character that Richt has embraced since 2007 and the reason they are 1-4 now. That 2007 squad still had a lot of quality, high character players on it and they would have never rushed the field like that without Richt's ok and urging. But now his disciplined players have all moved on and all that is left are talented thugs.

Yes I am a GT fan, alum, and former player athough I don't know about the sour part. I will admit my opinion of that cesspool in athens may be biased, but I always had to like Richt anyway because of his testimony. I am a Christian first and a dawg hater second.:laugh:

#12 North Carolina Tentmaker, Oct 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2010
  13. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder if it's possible to serve both God and the University of Georgia.

14. North Carolina Tentmaker

Only in ignorance brother, but then again we are talking uga.

15. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Had the celebration backfired and GA lost that game, Richt would've been pilloried.

Vince Dooley appeared on a local radio show in Knoxville today. He said he was 100% certain that Richt would be back next year. However, reports from boosters are not so rosey. I think Vince is trying to be nice.

16. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whatever the reason, Richt is a class act. As he is a good Christian man. Hopefully he will be back! Or he could be doing another coaching job! No doubt at all.

17. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can be a good Christian and not be good at your job.

He should be judged on the merits, not just his faith.

Of course, faith can help with ethical concerns, but it doesn't necessarily translate to wins on the football field.

18. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Ever noticed something? Richt and Bobby Bowden are vocal about their faith, yet they have / had some of the biggest trouble-makers on their teams. They have / had injury reports and police blotters they have / had to disclose at their pressers :laugh:

Seriously, Ken Sparks isn't that way. Is it just a FL St thing? Or is it that Christians see the possibility of redemption and can thus be had?