1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Marriage books

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jan 2, 2017.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No I have not

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with you, but I was using needs as saying the primay way God built up to get fulfilled, as the man needs to feel/hear respect, andthe woman love...

3. saved41199

saved41199 Active Member
    Site Supporter

No...I disagree here. Men don't "need" respect. They need to earn respect. So do women. I honestly would rather be respected than "loved". "Love" is nice but respect is better. Earning respect on both sides is where it starts. As I've had my share of marital issues in the past, I wouldn't have cared how much my husband "wanted" respect if he was going to act like an overgrown two year old throwing a temper tantrum. That didn't get him any respect, especially from the police. He spent 30 days in jail for that one. I want respect too. I want respect for what I bring to my marriage...and if that is not respected, there's no way I'm going to feel "loved".

I posted a biblical critique of that book above. Read it, it's quite interesting and matches up with what I found as I read the book.

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This seems to me to be the modern "I won't respect you until you earn my respect." But my bible teaches that we respect people simply because they are made in the image and likeness of God. We can forfeit that respect by our actions, but until that happens every person should be given the respect they have due to being in the image and likeness of God.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I get your point, but in terms of a marriage, I am not sure "love" and "respect" are concepts so easily divorced.

• Like Like x 1
  6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I wonder where in the Bible it says that husbands and wives need to "earn" anything.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not earning, but God wired us differently, need to have love/respect in order to function prperily!

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just saying that Men n Women are wired different, so wouldmakesense thy perceive their needs differently!

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Where does it say that we are to "need" something and that need has to be fulfilled? To be honest, when we focus on our "needs" and whether or not they are being fulfilled by our spouse, we can get into a lot of trouble. Recently I felt my husband wasn't fulfilling something that I "needed" and I was getting really annoyed. It was through my own study and prayer that I realized that I was looking at a flawed human being to make me feel something and that is not where I should be seeking the filling of my "needs". How about I find my fulfillment in Christ? It really made me see my husband differently and stopped the hurt and resentment that I was feeling. I have released it and my heart is in a much better place. "Needs" are much more of a modern construct and to be honest, I don't see anything about that in Scripture. Are they truly "needs" or are they "wants"?

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think tht it might be ho we are efing needs, as I do beliee that God created men to "need" respect from thir spouses shown to tem, and the women need to know tat the husband loves them in words and deeds.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Or could this be a result of sin?

12. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Love and Respect is excellent. Have used it numerous times and seen it revolutionize marriages to the glory of God.

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is the real answer, as both sexes were corrupted in the all and now are needy!