1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marriage

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

See, I'm teaching my daughters that any man they date is a potential mate. Even if they don't end up marrying that person, the qualities that they "put up with" will be much more likely to be acceptable in the next person and they need to evaluate what qualities are important to them. So if they date a non-believer, they are forfeiting the ability to pray with their date and lift each other up in Biblical encouragement and prayer. Later when they date again, they will not have had that experience with the last date so it's easier to say "no big deal" with this one and accept even more shortcomings. I want them to have the best spouse that God can provide and to me, that means having a godly man leading in their relationship. I want for them what I have and they see the godly model their father puts forth for them.

Oh I agree and I do have friends that are outside the church. We belong to this yacht club that is definitely about 98% unsaved and we go on vacation with these people, have dinner with these people and enjoy each other. They are some very dear people but you know what? We'll never be as intimately close as we would be if they were believers. There will always be a separation between us because we walk in light and they walk in darkness. But that doesn't mean that we can't associate with them because how would they ever be saved if the saved never talk with them? Our prayer is that every single family (300 families there - that's the limit to the number of members and each member represents a family) come to know Christ and get into a good Bible teaching church (doesn't have to be ours). They know our stance in Christ but it's not the only thing we talk to them about. Most are wonderful people and we do enjoy being with them and having boats and family in common. :)

3. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

How can you be called salty in the ocean and how can your light be seen compared to the Son?

Matthew 5:14-16 (New International Version, ©2011)

14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. ​

So why do you hide under the shadow of the steeple behind closed doors?

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

My Bible in Mt. 28:19, 20 says to make disciples not just converts. So how does datiung a non-believer fulfill that command?

5. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I wonder if Mr. Tater is confusing what I would call dating for a mate with going out for a meal with a non Christian friend who happens to be of the opposite sex.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That could be although honestly, I'd discourage my daughters from even doing that - without a group. Their kindness and caring could be misunderstood by the young man and I don't ever want them to cause a young man to fall - even if he's not a believer. We need to be very careful.

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

it does not take a date to share the gospel. Our obediance to the scriptures is more important then anothers soul. Souls are God's responsibility an if we are obediant He will get the glory. Going arond his commands shows a contempt for His authority. dating lost people is not a wise choice.

8. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

Are you people blind and deaf? Seriously ?!?!?!? That question isn't directed towards all but most. Do you need to have a specific instruction to do anything thats right?

You search for the letter but have no ear for the Spirit!!!!

Let me make some things clear:

1. I never said dating is mandated but I do say its ok. Use your own discernment in each situation.

2. Marriage between a believer and a non believer is NOT fine. It can be very bad for the believer.

gb93433: My Bible in Mt. 28:19, 20 says to make disciples not just converts. So how does datiung a non-believer fulfill that command? ​

I'm not so sure you understand that verse. Actually a lot of people misunderstand that verse. Go back and read it in context remembering your time, place and audience then cross that with 1 Corinthians chapter 12, the whole chapter.

freeatlast:it does not take a date to share the gospel. Our obediance to the scriptures is more important then anothers soul. Souls are God's responsibility an if we are obediant He will get the glory. Going arond his commands shows a contempt for His authority. dating lost people is not a wise choice.
    Yesterday 03:06 PM​

Dating is not about sharing the Gospel, I NEVER SAID THAT, thats your opinion, NOT MINE. You say I show a contempt for His authority!!!!!! Maybe in your warped perception of things. All I said was to be open and genuine to people. Since your heart is devoid of love for the lost I couldn't expect you to understand. Since your doctrine seems to be warped also with a hyper Calvy bend to it. There is nothing more to say to you. Other than I pray you one day get released from the bondage your in and truly understand freedom in Christ.

sag38 I wonder if Mr. Tater is confusing what I would call dating for a mate with going out for a meal with a non Christian friend who happens to be of the opposite sex. ​

Uhm no, were not on the same frequency here.:smilewinkgrin:

annsni:That could be although honestly, I'd discourage my daughters from even doing that - without a group. Their kindness and caring could be misunderstood by the young man and I don't ever want them to cause a young man to fall - even if he's not a believer. We need to be very careful.​

Careful indeed, prayer and discernment should always be used. My heart was so hard that God had to use that girl to show me genuine love and then shatter my heart to get my attention. BTW, I was saved after we broke up. The day we broke up I got drunk and stayed that way for weeks. But she didnt give up and had the whole Church we attended praying for me at each meeting. Then later patiently took me to each service for some time afterwards and didnt give up until I was Saved. You see, I didnt come to the Lord to be with her, I came to Christ because of her efforts.

Thats my story and everyone's results may vary. No dating is not mandated, but shouldn't be avoided. But undertaken with proper judgment.

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What is your point? How does dating a non-believer meet the requirement in 1 Cor. 10:31.

10. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

It doesn't. :BangHead: But try keeping verses 23-33 together. Makes more sense that way.

Its not found in the letter of the law, but the spirit of the law, the intention of it.

#50 Tater77, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2011
  11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

What you are trying to do is justify the sin of your spouse. The fact that your spouse was able to convince you to accept the Lord is not justification for sin.
    We are believers have a clear calling. for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
    This is not limited to marriage. It would include dating as well as business partnerships and much more.

12. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Wait a second here....you are the one that told us that Christians don't sin and err. You are on a forum with a bunch of people that DO sin and err. Therefore, we must be in darkness. Why are you communing with us? Aren't you being a bit hypocritical? I suggest you remove yourself from this forum immediately before you become corrupted like the rest of us.

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

There are a couple of possibilities here. One is that you are confusing me with someone else since I have never stated what you have just said. Another is that your memory is very bad or the last is that you are outright lying. You will have to decide which one fits you, but like I said I have never stated what you have said.

14. matt wade

I refer you to post 27 of this thread. You insinuated exactly that.

15. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

So now you are changing what you have stated. Hopefully you are not trying to cover up your statements. I never insinuate such things. Like I said you are either a liar, confusing me with another or memory problems.

16. matt wade

I'm not changing what I said. If you can't own up to your own statements you are the liar.

17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

That's fine but t is clear that you are the one who is lying. I made no such statement as you has said which makes you a liar clear and simple.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

From the thread "can a true Christian commit apostasy?"

19. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

So what is the point?

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Just the facts, sir. Just the facts.

Thread Status: