1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marriages for Other than Men and Women!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Jan 8, 2013.

?
  1. I am totally against same-sex marriage...

23 vote(s)
    92.0%
  2. It's their business, not mine...God will judge them!

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  3. I approve of civil unions...

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  4. I do not think Same-sex couples should adopt...

14 vote(s)
    56.0%
  5. Same-sex couples can send the wrong message to adopted children...

11 vote(s)
    44.0%
  6. If permitted to marry, I'd prefer they use another name, then marriage...

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  7. I know some same-sex couples, and they don't bother me...

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  8. If I knew a same-sex couple, I'd let them know it's a sin...

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  9. I would not want my children attending school with same-sex adopted children...

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  10. I know some gay people, and they are decent to be around...

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I ran a thread on another Christian forum, and was surprised at the flack I took as well as the responses in favor of same-sex marriage and adoption.

So I thought I'd conduct a private poll; no one will know who answered what, so you can be perfectly honest, like those in this other forum survey.

I'm simply trying to figure out if I'm just too far out in the Conservative field to smell the winds of change?

I appreciate your answers to the poll! :type:

#1 righteousdude2, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2013
  2. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

RD, this is one time that I could only chose one option in your multi-option polls. The first one.

Most of the other options convey some sense of endorsement (in varying degrees) of what God declares to be wrong throughout the scriptures.

Strange that people take a strong view opposing theft. It is wrong to steal. Thieves should not be rewarded in any way for robbing others. Christians should condem stealing and try to convert these sinners. To help bring them to repentance -- to turn away from this act.

Yet with this sin, there are all kinds of work-arounds, excuses, side-stepping, along with outright endorsement that would never pass mustor if it were acts of theft.

I used to have some of the views represented in your poll. Civil unions is an example. That is not an answer as it still condones this sin. There are other legal remedies available to handle many of the situtions brought up by those approving civil unions and marriages. (Wills, power of attorney, etc.)

Before someone brings up "hate"..........

I known and still know some homosexuals. For a while we lived between two couples in a small mobile home park. Both couples were likable people and we had a casual friendship as neighbors. ie lend a hand when needed, etc. However, that friendship didn't go to the point of approving of their relationships with each other.

No.

The aroma on the winds of society is changing. God's word never changes.

Thou shalt not steal.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wasnt sure about the last option - I do know a lot of happy people - but I think you were refering to homosexuals.

I would say there are some children of same gender "parents" currently and that will only increase as more States or Commonwealths legalize immorality.

I do not know of any homosexuals - (that I know of ), yes I could be their friend. I would want to befriend them and lead them to the Lord.

4. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Homosexuality is no basis for a family whatsoever.

I know several homosexuals. While they may be "decent" folks the sin issue is unavoidable. By "decent" I mean they generally obey laws, are nice folks to visit with, etc.

5. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed....

...I think, by answering the questions the way I presented them, show how lukewarm the church is becoming toward sin in general. I like your point: Thou shall not steal! Is still, thou shall not steal!!!:thumbs:

6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think it shows "lukewarmness" at all. The way you wrote the questions lends most of them to being answered affirmatively among those who are friends with, or interact with homosexual people on a regular basis.

I answered yes to every question except the one about having one's children in school with a child raised by a same-sex couple.

I found the basic thrust of each question as something I could agree with although I didn't always agree with the insinuations.

Every GLBT person I am friends with knows where I stand on things as well as the fact that I love them and accept them as persons for whom Christ has died. And I believe people can change their "orientation" although it is usually a long and difficult process.

As a follower of Jesus, I do not have a ministry of condemnation, but of reconciliation:

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him." (John 3:16-17)​

In fact, I just had a long and frank conversation about the sinfulness of homosexual sexual relations with a male friend who is married to another man who adopted a daughter together this past weekend. It was a difficult conversation for both of us, but I don't think he had any doubts that I loved him with the love of Christ. I believe we still currently disagree, but he can't write me off as a "hater" or someone who refuses to consider or interact with his position or him as a person.

7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

8. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In no means am I insinuating that anyone who answers these questions is lukewarm. I too answered more than one, because I too know gays. In fact, I have a daughter [whom I don't get along with as she is a militant gay, and always trying to start arguments with me, because she knows my objection and disappointment in her life choice], a neighbor and several businesses, I frequent throughout the month are owned or staffed by gays. It is sadly becomeing a fact of life. Even our postman is gay.

I think the questions show todays society and how the decline in morals and values have placed us all in postions of coming in contact with this side of the society preactically everywhere we go.

It is all about how we deal with the issue [as believers, in holding the Scriptural line], not that we know them. If any of these folks bring up an issue that allows me to witness to them about Gods abomination towards this sin, so be it, I jump in and try to express why God didn't make them "gay!"

I'm sorry is you got the wrong opinion from the slant in the questions asked. I only sought to ask questions that reflected the climate within our society today, and how Christians may or may not view these ever-changing values. Some churches are giving in to these changes and the pressure to accept gays, and this was something else I attempted to reflect in the questions asked. In no way does you positive response mean you are lukewarm, just that you see these changes and values manifesting all around you.

Thanks for your participation and input. I felt you added some valuable thoughts to this post. Shalom! :thumbsup:

9. Ed B

Ed B Member

I am totally against same sex marriage; however, if our secular government(s) decide to allow it as they have in some states I would prefer they give it another name. Yes, it sends the wrong message to adopted children of same sex civil unions.

I should have also picked #4 also stating I am against allowing same sex unions to adopt children. I missed that option somehow.

10. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe Homosexual acts are sin. There getting married is a sin as well. I don't believe they should be able to adopt a child. For the obvious reason that a child should not be raised in that type of environment.

The times are changing faster than I would like and that change is towards sin constantly. Today's young people do not have a good sense of right or wrong. Nothing is right or wrong to them, they do not believe in absolutes unless they are home schooled. I blame our Government schools for this. They took the Bible out of school and brought in the Quran and other religious ideas. and this is when this country started down hill. As a result we aren't to far from the bottom.
    MB

11. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For me the question centers on a whether the context is secular or religious. We live in a secular society, so secular "rules" are not surprising and in some cases are needed, such as could be argued for civil unions in this case.