1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Married to the State?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Aaron, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

That is especially unbiblical if they do this in a state (which is most of them) that requires a license for legal marriage. This is going against the law, which we are told not to do.

#61 Marcia, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2010
  2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As long as the law does not violate Gods commands, we should obey the law.

3. Aschultz73

Aschultz73 New Member

Not to agree or disagree with either side, but does not Paul warn us to avoid using secular institutions to decide disagreements inside the church. Does this not also apply to issues such as marriage and divorce. Alot of the controversy I see between people of scriptures is to apply secular law to scripture. The concept of having churches decide these issues is inherently dangerous as to often people want power within a church, but to use secular institutions in matters has been warned about by Paul himself in scripture.

The Muslims are gaining ground in this area in their application of Sharia Law around the world. So I find this to be a quite interesting conversation.

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Submit to what? There's nothing to submit to.

If a state allows homosexuals to marry, that has no affect on me. (I am opposed to it, but it doesn't affect me.)

I don't have to marry anybody. I already refuse to marry most people who ask. To refuse to marry a couple, regardless of the reasons, is perfectly within my rights.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't marry people. Neither does the state. God is the one who joins together.

All you do is officiate at a ceremony.

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I think you'd be hardpressed to make that distinction stand up anywhere. Whether one likes the terminology or not, to "perform marriage," to "officiate a marriage," or "to marry someone" are three virtually identical statements. No purpose that I can see is served by creating a dichotomy.