1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mars is getting ready for it's close up....

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Wisdom Seeker, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Mars is getting ready for its close-up, with the red planet coming as near to Earth this month as it has in almost 60,000 years.

Link to News Story

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's it!! I'm gettin' me a backyard telescope!!! I really wanna take advantage of this.

3. Haruo

Haruo New Member

In a universe that is less than 10,000 years old, what does that first paragraph mean? Of course, I'm not implying you're a young-earther, WS.

Haruo

4. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Haruo...I didn't write the news, I just copied it. If you read it from the site link, you will see that I did not change a word. So, I can't be held accountable for the views of the reporter can I?

What does the story mean? It means that Mars is close to the Earth. I didn't read anything else into it, but if you would like to...go ahead. I'm not a scientist and I don't have a stance on how old the earth is...so I won't be participating in that discussion. ;)

5. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

In a universe that is less than 10,000 years old, what does that first paragraph mean? Of course, I'm not implying you're a young-earther, WS.

Haruo
    </font>[/QUOTE]I'm not a young earther myself but all that really means is that IF you project the orbits backwards in time, you get that far back before you have Mars coming that close in the past. It does not mean, of course, in itself, that the orbits really did exist that long ago.

6. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Received this from a friend this morning:

"The Red Planet is about to be spectacular! This month and next, Earth is catching up with Mars in an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history.

The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the Last 5,000 years, but it may be as long as 60,000 years before it happens again.

The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye.

Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August it will rise in the east at 10p.m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m. By the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30a.m. That's pretty convenient to see something that no human being has seen in recorded history. So, mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month.

Share this with your children and grandchildren.
    (NO ONE ALIVE TODAY WILL EVER SEE THIS AGAIN)

[​IMG]
    §ue

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Well, except for Dick Clark. :D

8. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder if it will be close enough to see the face and the other structures that may have been built in the Cydonia region of Mars?

10. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

Not that close. Through a backyard telescope you should be able to make out the polar ice caps and maybe some of the larger surface features. The only way to really see small surface features is to send an orbiter to take pictures.

I'm not sure if you are being serious or sarcastic with the Cydonia comment, but the Mars Global Surveyor has returned much better images of the region than Viking orbiter that show them to be natural. Here's some pictures.

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/mgs_cydonia.html
    http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mgs/msss/camera/images/moc_5_24_01/face/index.html
    http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/4_5_00_cydonia/

Enjoy!

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Oh, you mean the naturally occurring landscape that resembles artificial structures in certain lighting conditions?

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am quite serious. [​IMG] I think it is an issue that needs to be definitively resolved. I understand NASA's reluctance though. It would cause evolutionists a bunch of trouble. :D

13. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

This evolutinist wouldn't be phased a bit by evidence of extra-terrestrial life. I would merely assume that life also had an evolutionary history! ;)

But the so called face on Mars always did resemble a trick of light and shadow anyway.

But with your telescope, take a look, and see if you can spot the earlier embarrasment of projection into the face of Mars -
    maybe you can spot the canals!

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ha ha. [​IMG]

But at this point I think Richard Hoagland has better points about the "face" than you do. [​IMG]

15. John Alden

John Alden New Member

I saw it yesterday morning (4AM). Awesome. [​IMG]