1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Ben W, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Meh.... that's why it is good to be well-rounded. I'm from a family that sent two kids to State in highschool wrestling. It is good to know and it will help you scramble, but if you want to be well-rounded, then you'd better make sure that your punches count and spend some time on standup and grounfighting. But if I could go back to highschool, I'd have trained harder in wrestling.

EDIT: reinforcing your point by example: my coworker's kid is a phenomenal college wrestler and is a blue belt in BJJ. He mops the floor with purple belts and some of the brown belts. And he uses wrestling to do it. Which makes his coach (Jorge Gurgel) a little upset. At the end of the day, this kid is a physical specimen! He out-wrestles and out-Crossfits Rich Franklin. Only here in Cincinnati, baby!!!

#61 Jkdbuck76, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2013
  2. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

WRONG! Aikido will give you the ability to make the knife wielding person forget the knife and grab your wrist and then flip themselves onto the ground.

:tonofbricks:

Edit: I'm glad we're arguing about "which art is better" than "why is Calvinism the truth and Arminians are sissies" like we always do. Nice to postmortem tenderize a different horse for a change.

#62 Jkdbuck76, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2013
  3. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

That's not proof of anything. And no, I most certainly do NOT "disagree with every MMA expert." You took Rogan out of context, as I CLEARLY showed (as if a Jiu Jitsu guy is uncomfortable on his back, or doesn't know takedowns! Anyone that knows anything knows a Jiu Jitsu person is BETTER on his back!).

Some of these so-called "experts" are old washed up boxers, and western fighters that don't realize what they are calling "wrestling" is actually techniques stolen from Judo, Jiu Jitsu, and Sambo.

You take a guy who competes in Greco Roman Wrestling, and a guy who competes in Jiu Jitsu grappling tournaments, (neither of which have MMA experience, or experience in other arts), and the Jiu Jitsu guy will DESTROY the Greco Roman wrestler. Wrestling, capital W, is a SPORT art, not a DEFENSIVE art (same thing with Sport Taekwondo vs. Traditional, BTW).

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    isn't the truth that nearly any real martial art will do the job needed, its just a question of how profoicent one actually in it to see how 'deadly' they are in it?

And how does one defend against quickness/speed? If bruce lee or superfoot wallace wanted to plant one on you, how to react to someone moving faster than you can even react?

5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read that Harrison Ford had the flu that day, was feeling miserable, and went off script with the gun thing because he was tired of filming. And the rest is history. :laugh:

Havensdad is on target here with the 20 foot rule. Also, it may take several bullets to stop a person, especially with a small caliberr bullet, so even if you are shot you still have a chance to win if you have fighting skills.

The scenario not mentioned by Havensdad is if the person is right on you with the gun. But then the closer the better. I would even use what a grandmaster friend of mine calls "mind-leading" to try to get the criminal to put the gun up against my head, at which point I can disarm him before he pulls the trigger. (I've proved this with my students time and again.)

6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You're almost as stubborn as I am because you have clearly been refuted but you still keep going.

Rogan said wrestling is the best MMA skill.

He is right.

Shane Carwin is a wrestler. You were wrong.

You lose.

Just take your parting prize with your head held high that you did the best you could.

7. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

No, he is not, and no he didn't. Our friend's question was not "what is the best 'skill'". It was "What is the best ART" for self defense. You replied "Wrestling." Rogan did NOT say that the Art of wrestling was the best for MMA. He said the skill of wrestling, taught by many arts, including Jiu Jitsu, was the most important. He was talking about ground game, not about the ART of wrestling.

Greco Roman Wrestling, the ART, is HORRIBLE for self defense.

Shane Carwin's takedowns and moves, including striking, are NOT Greco Roman wrestling moves. Most of them are, in fact, illegal in Wrestling.

I didn't "lose" anything. You are like a kid arguing with a doctor about what kind of medicine he should take, because he "saw it on T.v." You are the one that is stubborn! Just ADMIT that you didn't know that generic "wrestling" is not an art. Admit it.... :)

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could the answer really be the best martial Art " is the one that works for you best?" and that the Gun trumps all? I am assuming one is proficient in drawing and using it!

9. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

The best art is one that is well rounded (if you have the time), or that gives the most effective results with the least amount of training (if you don't have the time).

I said Japanese Jiu Jitsu is the most effective, because it is brutal, and well rounded. You learn striking, standing grappling/throws, takedowns, wrestling and grappling skills, pressure points, etc. It even has weapons training...training in every level of combat.

Boxing is most effective in the case of those who don't have much time to train. I say this because wrestling is somewhat instinctual. If you get in a REAL fight, even if the person takes you down, the outcome is going to come down to striking ability (unless one or both of you are highly trained grapplers). MOST of the striking, is going to be with your hands. That is just the way that it is in the real world. Better to train your hands, than have insufficient skill in other areas..

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

isn't there far greater force delivered thru your legs then arms though?

And if you can get into someone, how can they fight back if wrapped up ala wrestling/judo?

11. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

That is why I said that Jiu Jitsu (which incorporates wrestling, and is where Judo actually came from) is best, IF you have the time to train.

Listen, NOTHING is going to help you if you happen, against all odds, to run into a UFC champion mugging people. He is going to kick the snot out of you, unless you have equivalent training. But Joe Blow on the street is not going to bust out a triangle lock on you...its just not going to happen. Such moves take dedicated training to learn.

As for legs, YES they are stronger, but they are also EXTREMELY easy for even a novice to dodge, unless, again, the person has been extremely well versed in kicking. But if you meet Bruce Lee's double on the street, again, there is not much your going to be able to do anyway.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You shoot him...a 45 works best.

13. DFG

DFG New Member

Before I broke my neck over a year ago I was a fighter in the MMA Valley Fight League. If I didn't have 6 screws 4 rods and a bone graph I would still be fighting. If that was the case and it's Gods Will that I lead the Church I am giving a trial sermon for I would still fight. I don't see any issue. There are very strict rules for safety and it's no different than any other sport. For that matter I think water polo is far more dangerous.

14. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

We trained in that, too. As I said, you need to be well rounded. :)

And I prefer a 9mm. Not quite as much knock down, but better ballistics.. (and cheaper ammo)

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You better have trained, because Ive trained with this since I was in the Corps & you wont be the 1st one Ive removed head & spirit from. And I only need one round. Care to test yourself?

16. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Thank you for your service.

Doesn't take too much training to point a pistol and pull the trigger, though. First one to shoot wins.

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would say that it is the one that can 'slow it down" and make an accurate shot, as woods full of guys with 'buck feaver', who see the deer and get all excited and shoot bullets in the tree!

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you know what navy seals/green berets/rangers learn when trained?

#78 Yeshua1, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2013
  19. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

From what I understand, they don't use one particular style, but glean techniques from many different styles and synthesize them.

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All I know about the Seals is that friend of mine had a son spend 10 years with them, and that during their training/boot camp, you think you are going to die!

before the Lord saved me, was into reading remo williams Master of Sinanju, which described him as being master of the Art ALL other arts bridged off from, its like he was the master of all martial arts at same time!

#80 Yeshua1, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2013