1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by Crusader, Oct 3, 2005.

1. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

He is expensive! Plus I haven't severed all the ties with my previous teacher, or something like that Acordeon said-it still requires partental involvement. Maybe I could help with their promotion/graphics department...

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you ever wonder if Christians should be in the martial arts? If it is a good idea for a Christian to know self-defense? If a young Christian lady can successfully defend herself against multiple male attackers? Just got an e-mail update from a martial arts organization I represent. Here is a paragraph from it:

"One of our former students (Seigi Bushido Ryu) successfully defended herself against three gang members this past weekend in New York City. This 25 year old mother of two was on her way home to Maine, when she stopped at a C-Store and was accosted in the parking lot. While she incurred multiple bruises and knocked out teeth, all three perpetrators ended up in the hospital."

3. UnchartedSpirit

A Christian can hospitialize someone as long as they can get them to the hospital alive afterwards :cool: Mayhaps they'd be more willin' to talk it over their issues with you then.

4. UnchartedSpirit

sigh, if only someone could come up with a more mechanical martial art maybe. Constructivist Mondrain said that nature with its irrationality and irregularity, encouraged mankinds primitive, animal instincts, resulting in such disasters as war [Gilbert, p517]. Almost every form is derived from animal and natural patterns, conscidencially. Perhaps a martial art-nay, a dance form will come about that will favor the ideal raional beauty Modrain envisioned the world to be in the future.

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, UnchartedSpirit.

I kept meaning to get back with you and ask you about this concept. I was just working out, tried a couple of JKD steps and thought of you! :D

Personally, much of the traditional kung fu I know is based on animal movements, but is stylized so that someone uninformed usually does not recognize the animal (except for some tiger and crane forms).

So, how would a martial art of "rational beauty" look, as opposed to one taken from nature? :confused:

6. UnchartedSpirit

I duuno...akido comes the closest I think....
    Ultimately I believe since murder entered into sin-there's always going be a means to...with any medium...so such an art might never exist...maybe in "New Jeruslam" maybe?

7. UnchartedSpirit

well as Christians I also suppose that we are commanded to expect the BEST of everyone...so when that last split moment comes and a person acts far contorary to what we believed of them...those reflexes from training would help ed the situtation swiftly and peacefully still

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That reminds me of the time when a street-wise young lady came up to my teacher after a demo and said, "What would you do if someone did this?" And then promptly aimed a full-power kick at :eek: :eek: . His training allowed him to block it with his shin, and of course the young lady went away unharmed.