1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mary and Martha

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by DavidsAngel, Sep 9, 2004.

1. DavidsAngel

DavidsAngel Guest

I am wondering what ever happened to these two women? Are we given any clues thoughout the Bible and though history. I can't think of any but i'm really wondering on this topic.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ask Mel Gibson. He seems to have found lots of previously hidden info from Sister Anne Catherine Emmerich. :rolleyes:

Serious answer: Mary died. Martha died. And even Eleazar (Lazarus) died, again.

3. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Mary and Martha lived with their brother Lazarus at Bethany, a village not far from Jerusalem. They are mentioned in several episodes in the Gospels.

On one occasion, when Jesus and His disciples were their guests (Luke 10:38-42), Mary sat at Jesus' feet and listened to Him while her sister Martha busied herself with preparing food and waiting on the guests, and when Martha complained, Jesus said that Mary had chosen the better part.

When Lazarus, the brother of Mary and Martha, had died, Jesus came to Bethany. Martha, upon being told that He was approaching, went out to meet Him, while Mary sat still in the house until He sent for her. It was to Martha that Jesus said: "I am the Resurrection and the Life." (John 11:1-44)

Again, about a week before the crucifixion, as Jesus reclined at table, Mary poured a flask of expensive perfume over Jesus' feet. Mary was criticized for wasting what might have been sold to raise money for the poor, and again Jesus spoke on her behalf. (John 12:1-8)

On the basis of these incidents, many Christian writers have seen Mary as representing Contemplation (prayer and devotion), and Martha as representing Action (good works, helping others); or love of God and love of neighbor respectively.

They see the same symbolism also in Leah and Rachel, the daughters of Laban (Genesis 29 and 35). Leah was dim of sight, but had many children. Rachel had few children, but one of them saved the whole family from destruction. Leah represents Action, which is near-sighted and cannot penetrate very far into the mysteries of God, but produces many worth-while results. Contemplation has fewer results, but one of those results is Faith, without which it is impossible to please God." (Hebrews 11:6) Yet, there is a sense in which Action comes first -- "If a man love not his brother, whom he hath seen, how shall he love God, whom he hath not seen?" (1 John 4:20) So it is that Leah must be wed before Rachel.

On some calendars, Lazarus is commemorated together with his sisters, on others his resurrection is remembered separately on 17 December.

by James Kiefer

4. DavidsAngel

DavidsAngel Guest

Thank you Craig for that. I've been wondering what happened to them. I think the thing that made me wonder the most is they seemed to appear so much in the Bible. Jesus seemed to spend more time there in that household than any other. It seems they were guests that happened by on at least 3 occassions.

5. wopik

wopik New Member

What ever happened to Jesus' mother, Mary. I believe Jesus put her in the capable hands of the Apostle John - (Jn 19: 26-27).

Isn't there a tradition that she traveled with John into Spain, for a while?

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mary the mother of Jesus (NOT the mother of God) lived with her adopted son John the Apostle in Ephesus where he pastored from 70-95CE. She is recorded as living almost to the time of his exile on Patmos - c 80-90CE.

Christianity turned the city upside down (Acts) and the worship of Artemis was almost eradicated. When I visited there, I bought a bronze statue of Artemis (26 breasts).

Our guide showed how the "doll" could be made to look like "the Blessed Virgin" with just a small piece of cloth over its head and robe (covering those breasts). He said by 100CE business was booming again and that the image we have of Mary and nuns today all come from pix they had of these statues being covered!

That was just his perspective of it, but found it interesting.

7. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

I believe that Peter asked the Lord about what would become of the beloved apostle, John, and Jesus said what is it to you if he lived until I return???

Jesus was telling Peter that such things as to what happened to so and so does not matter and that we need to focus on this one thing, that Jesus was crucified and is now resurrected in power and glory, He is LORD.

BTW Bro Bob.... you bought a 26 brested statue???? shame shameshameshameshame j/k

8. wopik

wopik New Member

Dr. Bob

Sounds like it was an interesting trip.

I love it when people say the old pagan religions died off; most of it just continued over into "Christianity" -- as your guide wisely observed. That's why I can not personally defend Dec. 25 celebrations or even Easter.

I see more Christ-centered meaning in the holidays of the Bible - what the LORD calls "My feasts" (Lev 23: 1-3).

We worship the same LORD who saved the Israelites out of Egypt (Jude 5), and we can't even keep His feasts (1Cor 5:7-9)? That same LORD saved us out of Egypt, too -- out of sin. Egypt is symbolically compared to sin in the Bible.

http://www.cemnetwork.com/church/ - click on pic

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    wopik, who said we can't keep His feasts?

As long as these feasts don’t violate the New Covenant.

Would you really be OK with sacrificing a lamb at Passover?

IMO anyone can keep a bloodless Passover (which it is now in Talmudic Judaism except for the chicken that is eaten, but it’s not a sacrificial chicken) as a memorial if they wish (especially Christians who are Jewish by bloodline), just don’t tell others that they must or that it is a necessity for salvation or sanctification.

HankD

10. wopik

wopik New Member

HankD

Christ is our Passover Lamb, as Paul states (1Cor. 5:7-9). Paul connects the sacrifice of Jesus to the Passover.

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:
    Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened [bread] of sincerity and truth.
    I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:

OK, but what is your point wopik?

He is speaking hear in metaphorical terms "with the unleavened [bread] of sincerity and truth. of the spiritual aspect of the Passover, not the shadow.

The fulfillment of the passover shadow was accomplished by Christ "once" with an everlasting result never to be done again.

Hebrews 9:12
    Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption [for us].

If you feel the need of a literal feast, go ahead.
    But the shedding of the blood of animals is now a thing of the past (which could not take away sin anyway). It was a shadow pointing to a reality, fulfilled by Christs' vicarious atonement.

HankD

12. wopik

wopik New Member

His death does not mean we stop celebrating the Feast and Holy days! By no means! I believe it actually Glorifies God/Yahweh.

The only thing His death took away was the sacrifice for atonement. We still should observe the holy day as a Sabbath, and a day of fasting and prayer and confession.

The laws are still in place, except the Sacrificial laws -- He was the final Lamb. Should spend the day thanking God for the Gift of his Son, as our Lamb of lambs.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Unfortunately, we're so hyperfearful of appearing "catholic-like" that we tend to shy away with any topic relating to Mary. We can discuss the extrabiblical history of, say, Thomas, but when you say the "M" word, everyone turns and ducks for cover.

14. DavidsAngel

DavidsAngel Guest

Johnv I was not talking about the "Virgin" Mary, I was speaking about the sisters, Mary and Martha. The ones that played host to Jesus. One listened the other cleaned. One took the time to listen. The other hurried around to make his stay delightful.

It just seemed that reading my Bible Jesus payed a lot of visits to these two sisters. And, I was wondering what had become of them is all.

Sidenote Jesus was the ultimate sacrafice, nothing can ever top the spilling of his innocent blood.

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Clearly, I have jumped the proverbial gun. Not that I've ever done that before on this board ;) .

I'm understandably curious myself.