1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Mary Sightings in History

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by saturneptune, Jul 10, 2012.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

There is a long line of stories about how people have seen Mary in spiritual form throughout the years. The people who saw her were quite excited about the experience for some reason. This is a hypothetical question, as I do not believe human souls roam the earth. When one dies, they either go into the presence of the Lord (Paradise) or to Hades to await judgement.

My question is, if one was really to see Mary, what good would it do an individual? It seems to be it would be just another ghost story. There is only One God who is worthy of our worship and adoration, in the form of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Notice what makes the Trinity unique is that They are not created beings. Mary is.

God used many in a mighty way, Mary, Moses, Paul, Timothy, John, Peter, etc, but they are created beings just like you and me, in need of a Savior. One can admire what God did through them, but worship, that is reserved for the Lord.

2. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

It may be a overly simplistic to say these apparitions don't exist. Certainly there were Moses and Elijah in their glorified bodies at the Transfiguration. Also there were many Old Testament saints walking the streets of Jerusalem at the time of the death of Jesus. So it would seem that Marian apparitions can very well happen. Of course some are more credible than others.

In my view the most credible was Fatima, where the three children were told to expect a miracle on 10/13/1917. Some 70,000 people gathered to see what would happen. It had been raining and the rain continued as the people gathered. At noon the rain stopped and the sun started making erratic movements and appeared to be falling. When the sun became stable, the ground was dry and the people's clothing was dry.

It's my understanding that in the credible Marian apparitions the BVM states her purpose for appearing.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the church in the Bible NEVER called mary ANY of the things the RCC has over the years, as she was said by herself to be a sinner in need of a saviour!

And since 'mary" pronounced doctrines/statements against word of god and jesus...

was a demonic being!

4. mandym

mandym New Member

Nothing is credible about seeing Mary. The OT saints are not support for such ridiculous claims. One might as well believe in Big Foot and UFO's/

5. WestminsterMan

WestminsterMan New Member

Hmmm... you mean that you don't?

WM

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No, the person means Mary sightings are about as credible as the rest of Catholic doctrine.

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    or that "mary" was from same source as RCC doctrines!

8. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Where did Mary say she was a sinner?

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    maybe when under the inspiration from/of the Holy Spriit she was rejoicing in her saviour?

ONLY Jesus was born of a Virgin, and ONLY he had no sin!

10. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Perhaps you could enlighten us by providing a theological distinction between the appearance of the O.T. saints and Marian apparitions.

11. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Are you suggesting that she was a sinner because she had a saviour?

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only sinners need a saviour, bible states plainly ALL have sinned except for jesus!

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I believe that Romans 3:10 says no one is righteous, no not one. Maybe they took that one out in exchange for the book of Maccabbes.

14. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Actually that verse doesn't exclude Jesus. Go back and read Romans 3:23. You supplied the Jesus exception. Paul did not supply it. Therefore, we have to read Romans 3:23 as containing exceptions. Would you say little babies have sinned? I wouldn't, so we have to take this verse as containing a measure of hyperbole.

Also, just for the record, Mary never said she needed a saviour. The fact is that Mary had a saviour, who saved her before she was ever born. Ever hear of the Immaculate Conception?

By the way, Yeshua, when was the last time you referred to Mary as blessed? You know she said, "Henceforth all generations shall call me blessed."

I have seen people here refer to Mary as a filthy sinner. I think one should be very careful not to speak ill of the Mother of God.

15. mandym

mandym New Member

Holy Cow! The garbage that goes on, on this board. Good grief. This is clear worship of Mary.

#15 mandym, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012
  16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I have not seen anyone call Mary a filthy sinner. It would be like making fun of David, Moses, Joseph, Paul or Peter. God used her in a special way. That does not make her sinless, and for the record, we are all born with original sin.

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yeshua said that His family would be those who heard him and received Him as their Lord/saviour!
    we are ALL same to him as mary/peter/John etc, ALL equally saved and part of his family!

And the bible clearly states ONLY jesus never sinned, and that ONLY Jesus had no sin nature!

18. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Are "vile" and "wicked" close enough?
    I don't think anyone here would use those words to describe David, Moses, Joseph, Peter or Paul. But somehow DKH takes pleasure in using them in reference to Mary.

19. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Can you cite chapter and verse that says Jesus had no sin nature?

20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

No cannot say I agree with that terminology. I would use vile and wicked for someone like Judas or Ahab. Those terms are used for people who are evil beyond our fallen state.