1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Masonic Lodge

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by buckster75, Jan 10, 2006.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does this passage apply? Why or why not?

1 Corinthians 9
    20 And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
    21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.
    22 To the weak became I as weak, that I might gain the weak: I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.
    23 And this I do for the gospel's sake, that I might be partaker thereof with you.

HankD

2. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Hank,

In dealing with the matter of freemasonry in my church one of the men used that scripture to justify his involvement. While the desire to reach the lost is certainly important, I do not believe this verse is in anyway teaching that a child of God is to enter into disobedience in order to reach the lost. I asked the individual would he be baptized in the Mormon church in order to reach the lost Mormons, and he said he would not. I asked why, and he said because they are a false religion and God would not want him to be apart of it. I said exactly.

While it is good to be able to relate to all people, it is never permitted to yoke yourself with unbelievers to reach unbelievers.

Bro Tony

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK Bro Tony, I'm just asking questions. To be honest, I'm not sure it is wrong for a Christian to be a Free Mason. I've heard lots of bad things about them. But bad rumors about good men (humanly speaking) have always abounded.

In my experience when I was a boy they helped my mother and her 6 children greatly when my step-father was imprisoned especially during the holiday season.

I often have memory flash-backs during the holiday season of these men coming up the stairs to our apartment in the housing project loaded with baskets of food, clothing and toys.

Not that these good deeds justify any alleged evil of course.

But back to the verses in question
    "to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;" Do you think that Paul was speaking of the time in Acts 21 where he apparently feigned being under the Law?

Acts 21:26 Then Paul took the men, and the next day purifying himself with them entered into the temple, to signify the accomplishment of the days of purification, until that an offering should be offered for every one of them.

Paul would have (had God allowed) offered an expiatory gift in the temple for himself and these men which technically was an incorrect thing for him to do knowing the significance of the Blood Atonement of Jesus Christ and technically would have been at very least an act of deception (howbeit a pious act) on Paul's part.

True, he never made the offering but just how far can one go with "I have become all things to all men" as it applies to us in the 20-21st century.
    Did he mean he feigned being "under the Law" to reach those under the Law?

Apart from influencing others concerning the Gospel, personally I currently consider it a matter of the conscience of the individual member because of the conflicting reports about the "secrets", beliefs and practices of free masons.

Long time members do however know these things and are accountable (Granted local churches as well probably need to consider membership or no for them) one way or another.

HankD

4. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Hank,

I think the essence of your question is a good one. There needs to be a decision as to whether in this case the masonic lodge is contrary to Christ and His Church. To me whatever the issue is, if the joining into it by God's people is in disobedience to God's Word, we are not at liberty to join. I don't believe that Paul was advocating worshipping in the Temple of Diana in order to reach the temple prostitutes. To be able to relate to those who were still under the law and sit with them because they have not come to the revelation of the fulfillment of the law in Jesus is completely different than worship with believers of false religions. Personally, I believe that masonry offers a false religion and is contrary to God's call.

Bro Tony

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Bro Tony, I believe this subject is somewhat related to a movement of a few years ago (maybe many) called "Situation Ethics".

HankD

6. mima

mima New Member

Major are you interested in becoming a soul winner? Do you consider yourself a soul winner now? I live near Scott City MO. I look forward to hearing from you.
    Arthur